The Boulez Mahler Cycle

Old April 7th 08, 10:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Ferris

Default The Boulez Mahler Cycle

Now that it is complete, I'd be curious to hear which recordings of
the Boulez Mahler cycle people feel to be worth getting? I already
have the #6 which I find to be one of the best 6's I've ever heard.

I've heard mixed things about them all but that may have more to do
with the fact that some people are just opposed to Boulez's approach
to Mahler (whatever exactly that may be). Not to be snobby or
prejudicial, but I guess I'm interested in the opinions of people who
are at least moderately predisposed to Boulez.

The first? Das Lied?

Thanks!
Old April 7th 08, 11:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jack Campin - bogus address

Now that it is complete, I'd be curious to hear which recordings of
the Boulez Mahler cycle people feel to be worth getting? I already
have the #6 which I find to be one of the best 6's I've ever heard.

I've heard mixed things about them all but that may have more to do
with the fact that some people are just opposed to Boulez's approach
to Mahler (whatever exactly that may be). Not to be snobby or
prejudicial, but I guess I'm interested in the opinions of people who
are at least moderately predisposed to Boulez.

You are in the wrong group.

Which said, I don't have any of his Mahler versions. I like his early
music, never really saw the point of anything after "Pli selon Pli", and
heard him conduct Mahler 6 once. Didn't like it. Ultra-clear so you
could hear every note (apparently the orchestra hated his guts, it must
have been really hard work getting there) but too fast and metronomic.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old April 11th 08, 07:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
RF

On Apr 7, 6:08*pm, Jack Campin - bogus address
wrote:
Now that it is complete, I'd be curious to hear which recordings of
the Boulez Mahler cycle people feel to be worth getting? *

I'd get the 10 speed version in red.