1958 AMI H EX-200 ?

Old February 8th 05, 04:48 PM

Default 1958 AMI H EX-200 ?

I am having problems with the contact switch or selector switch. If
you are familiar with this box you may know what I mean. When I make a
selection this turns to register the selection. There are brass
contacts and they spark and many times I need to clean them. Can a
person put a dialectric grease on these contacts or what does one do to
keep them clean and working properly? Appreciate the help
Thanks
Mark

Old February 11th 05, 10:47 PM
fatboy

I am having problems with the contact switch or selector switch. If
you are familiar with this box you may know what I mean. When I make a
selection this turns to register the selection. There are brass
contacts and they spark and many times I need to clean them. Can a
person put a dialectric grease on these contacts or what does one do to
keep them clean and working properly? Appreciate the help
Thanks
Mark

allthough i am not familiar with that particular model, i am familiar with
the problem. there are a couple of problems that can cause that particular
problem.
the first thing to do is to check and see if there is / was a capacitor
connected accross the contacts in question. it would be to your advantage
if you had the service manual to that particular model as the capacitor may
be physically located somewhere else in the unit. the manual or schematic
will tell you.
since it was made in 1958, chances are good that most of the original
capacitors were either the wax/paper type (those would always be bad by
now), or the imfamous "bumble bee" type (these were black plastic with
color bands as identifiers) these too, are always bad. it would also be a
good idea to replace the power supply filters. these need to be replaced
before placing the unit in service.
usually, there is a capacitor accross those contacts for the purpose of
"quenching" the spark. these were generally the contacts that controlled
the B+ on the amplifier or power to the motor.

another thing that will cause that problem is if somthing is drawing more
current then it should. if it is bad enough to pit the contacts, it would
be considered a serious problem & i highly recommend discontinuing using
the box untill the problem can be found & repaired.

either way, you need to get a service manual.
--
It's a shame Linux has such difficulty running some of the more popular
Windows applications: Nimda, CodeRed, Klez, WPA, Swen, SoBig, ILOVEYOU,

Windows was created to keep idiots away from Unix.