Aust postmark ID~"English mail"

Old May 24th 09, 11:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default Aust postmark ID~"English mail"

Any information on this strike? Victoria 1st August 1906

http://cjoint.com/data/fzaADO8F0g.htm

I have a similar "English Mail" machine cancellation on Indian mail
explained thus
The " English Mail NSW " was used on mail that was offloaded in Melbourne
and sent by train to Sydney as it would get there before the ship did. The
machine mark is scarce.

But this seems to be going the other way.

Thanks

Old May 26th 09, 06:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_2_]

On May 24, 3:28*pm, "rodney" wrote:
Any information on this strike? * Victoria 1st August 1906

http://cjoint.com/data/fzaADO8F0g.htm

I have a similar "English Mail" machine cancellation on Indian mail
explained thus
The " English Mail NSW " was used on mail that was offloaded in Melbourne
and sent by train to Sydney as it would get there before the ship did. The
machine mark is scarce.

This was an Australian railway TPO mark. A shipping route existed,
outbound from Australia, that left Melbourne with a stop in Adelaide
before crossing the seas. As the express railway route from Melbourne
to Adelaide was much faster than the time it took for the ship to make
the passage, mail posted too late for the ship at Melbourne could be
cancelled on a train route to Adelaide in order to "catch up" with the
ship.

Mo http://stampsofvictoria.com/english.php

One George W. Bowman had an exhibit on this topic:
http://www.stamps.org/Directories/di...elicFiesta.htm -- I have
not seen this exhibit, but saw one of his other exhibits at Sandical
2007 which was of very high quality.

At auction: http://tr.im/morf (PDF)

--
Joshua H. McGee
Sierra Madre, Los Angeles, California, USA
Old May 26th 09, 09:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Wow! Blairesque in its response Joshua
thanks very much for solving that.
(I am a bit miffed, that it took an American

Tony Mac would have been interested in the Aussie "Postage Dues"
that is his field, apart from the uglies.
And our own Mette would have very much liked the Vermeil
"The true story of Christmas"