Hindenburg souvenir! Only 9 euros!

Old May 23rd 09, 08:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_2_]

Default Hindenburg souvenir! Only 9 euros!

Dontcha love faked covers? http://tr.im/mb10

--
Joshua H. McGee
Sierra Madre, Los Angeles, California, USA
Old May 23rd 09, 02:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Stan Fairchild[_3_]

"Joshua McGee" wrote

Dontcha love faked covers? http://tr.im/mb10

Joshua

Joshua--OK, I'll bite. The Hindenburg crashed in 1937, so the July 14, 1936
flight date is not an easy clue. The stamps were current, so that's not a
clue either. The date on the upper killer looks like 1939, not the 1936 of
the lower cancel, but it is smeared enough to be a possible 1936 also.
Educate me/us please; what makes the cover a fake?

Stan

Old May 23rd 09, 04:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Gerhard Reichert

Stan Fairchild schrieb:
"Joshua McGee" wrote

Dontcha love faked covers? http://tr.im/mb10

Joshua

Joshua--OK, I'll bite. The Hindenburg crashed in 1937, so the July 14,
1936 flight date is not an easy clue. The stamps were current, so
that's not a clue either. The date on the upper killer looks like 1939,
not the 1936 of the lower cancel, but it is smeared enough to be a
possible 1936 also. Educate me/us please; what makes the cover a fake?

Stan

the stamp date is 1936, You can see it on the vertical stamp exactly.

kind regards

Gerhard
Old May 23rd 09, 06:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Stan Fairchild[_3_]

"Gerhard Reichert" wrote in message
Stan Fairchild schrieb:
"Joshua McGee" wrote

Dontcha love faked covers? http://tr.im/mb10

Joshua

Joshua--OK, I'll bite. The Hindenburg crashed in 1937, so the July 14,
1936 flight date is not an easy clue. The stamps were current, so that's
not a clue either. The date on the upper killer looks like 1939, not the
1936 of the lower cancel, but it is smeared enough to be a possible 1936
also. Educate me/us please; what makes the cover a fake?

Stan

the stamp date is 1936, You can see it on the vertical stamp exactly.

kind regards

Gerhard

Gerhard--thanks but I miss your point. The single stamp on the left appears
to have a 13 July, 1936 cancel, and the Hindenburg marking at the top is for
a 14 July, 1936 flight, so the dates seem to match, not conflict.

Stan

Old May 23rd 09, 07:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Gerhard Reichert

Stan Fairchild schrieb:
"Gerhard Reichert" wrote in message
Stan Fairchild schrieb:
"Joshua McGee" wrote

[...]

Hi Stan,

there is no conflict:

the dates of the 4th North-America-Flight of the Airship Hindenburg were
from 10th to 14th July 1936.

The American mails got no special arrival or delivery cancelation for
this event; the 14th of July will be the day, when the airship
Hindenburg left the USA to return to Germany. It is usual, that mails
got cancellations before the airship returned.

In my opinion it is a genuine item in all aspects.

kind regards

Gerhard
Old May 24th 09, 05:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On May 23, 3:16�am, Joshua McGee wrote:
Dontcha love faked covers? �http://tr.im/mb10

--
Joshua H. McGee
Sierra Madre, Los Angeles, California, USA
Member: APS, ATA, ISWSC, MBPC
Trade?: �http://www.mcgees.org/stamp-offers/

It is not a faked cover but it also was NOT flown. The amount of
postage - 40 cents - was insufficient postage for a cover on a
zeppelin flight. Second, the black (or blue) large X was a postal
marking indicating the cover was not given air mail service.
Old May 24th 09, 08:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_2_]

On May 23, 9:00*pm, wrote:
On May 23, 3:16 am, Joshua McGee wrote: Dontcha love faked covers?http://tr.im/mb10

It is not a faked cover but it also was NOT flown. The amount of
postage - 40 cents - was insufficient postage for a cover on a
zeppelin flight.

This is where I was going with it, but to find actual documentation of
my memory of the rate, I ended up questioning my memory rather
acutely. This cover -- http://www.hgitner.com/img/zeppim/us_1936_4736.jpg
-- also bears $0.40 in postage, and was mailed only two months after
the cover I declared as phony. Did the postage rate change in that
much time? Doubtful.

I note with some amusement that, amid all the advertising posts, this
would have been a rather clever bit of guerilla marketing if I were
*selling* the cover in question. Bring its authenticity into doubt,
and then let the ng overturn my claim. Unfortunately there was
nothing as devious (ingenious?) going on.

Second, the black (or blue) large X was a postal marking indicating the cover was not given air mail service.

This didn't figure into my evaluation, but is an extremely interesting
claim. Does the debate continue, despite my failed claim?

Old May 24th 09, 02:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Gerhard Reichert

schrieb:
On May 23, 3:16ï¿œam, Joshua McGee wrote:
Dontcha love faked covers? ᅵ
http://tr.im/mb10

--
Trade?: ï¿œhttp://www.mcgees.org/stamp-offers/

It is not a faked cover but it also was NOT flown. The amount of
postage - 40 cents - was insufficient postage for a cover on a
zeppelin flight. Second, the black (or blue) large X was a postal
marking indicating the cover was not given air mail service.

Hi Roy,

thank You for the information about the big "X" and the insufficiant
postage for a Zeppelin flight from USA. Have You any link whre I can
find more information about this? Thank You in advance

Gerhard
Old May 24th 09, 05:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On May 24, 3:05�am, Joshua McGee wrote:
On May 23, 9:00�pm, wrote:

[...]

The other item missing from the cover would be a Zeppelin cachet. This
may be on the reverse, but if so, it would normally be to the sellers
advantage to show it.

The other cover you show also does not show a Zeppelin cachet. It is
rare for any flown zeppelin cover not to have the flight cachet on it,
too.
Old May 24th 09, 06:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Dontcha love faked covers? ï¿œhttp://tr.im/mb10

--
Joshua H. McGee
Sierra Madre, Los Angeles, California, USA
Member: APS, ATA, ISWSC, MBPC
Trade?: ï¿œhttp://www.mcgees.org/stamp-offers/

It is not a faked cover but it also was NOT flown. The amount of
postage - 40 cents - was insufficient postage for a cover on a
zeppelin flight. Second, the black (or blue) large X was a postal
marking indicating the cover was not given air mail service.

Hi Roy,

thank You for the information about the big "X" and the insufficiant
postage for a Zeppelin flight from USA. Have You any link whre I can
find more information about this? Thank You in advance

Gerhard

I am correcting myself - the postage rate of 40 cents may have been
correct for a single letter from the US to Germany. I am still
researching the rate. However, the black X indicates to me that it was
not flown - most probably because it arrived too late for the flight.
This marking is frequently encountered on air mail that was not flown,
or partially was flown (jus'qua) and continued on to destination by
surface.

A website for Zeppelin information I recommend is: www.ezep.de. Site
is both in German and English.

Euros anyone? Sapphyre Coins 9 February 18th 07 02:18 AM
Hindenburg Crash Survivor chip1057 Autographs 2 March 23rd 06 11:20 PM
Zeppelin/Hindenburg/Los Angeles Covers dickg56 Marketplace 0 November 30th 05 05:25 PM
Looking for Euros, got any to get rid of? Romeo Raabe Coins 0 March 28th 05 03:45 PM
1918 Gemeinde Hindenburg Octogonal Coin NoOne Coins 3 April 26th 04 04:32 PM