I wonder what grading school this seller went to?

Old May 27th 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default I wonder what grading school this seller went to?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1893-S-Morgan-Do...temZ8424062582

Old May 27th 06, 03:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Wes Chormicle" proclaimed in news:jGOdg.5716
:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1893-S-Morgan-Do...temZ8424062582

This one's a bit of a classic too:

8424056936

Description doesn't match the coin in the least. Very odd.

BA
Old May 27th 06, 01:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Wes Chormicle wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1893-S-Morgan-Do...temZ8424062582

Looks as thought the buyer paid less than G4.

--
JMark
Old May 27th 06, 02:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Wes Chormicle" wrote in message
ink.net...
http://cgi.ebay.com/1893-S-Morgan-Do...temZ8424062582

Probably the same school as this guy:

http://www.largecents.net/graphics/bozoslab.jpg

Mr. Jaggers

Old May 27th 06, 05:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Sat, 27 May 2006 02:18:55 GMT, "Wes Chormicle"
is alleged to have written:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1893-S-Morgan-Do...temZ8424062582

I think the Optimists Club gives lessons. :-)

Bruce (But I think the buyer paid fair price, if the coin is real)
ANA R162074
EAC 3606

To email me, remember that RoadRunner
and Coyote do not mix.
Old May 27th 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Bruce H (BoxTurtle)" wrote in message
On Sat, 27 May 2006 02:18:55 GMT, "Wes Chormicle"
is alleged to have written:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1893-S-Morgan-Do...temZ8424062582

I think the Optimists Club gives lessons. :-)

Bruce (But I think the buyer paid fair price, if the coin is real)

I'm trying to figure out why the letters in EPU and US of A look so small.
The coin appears to have been photographed head-on, so what's the deal, I
wonder.

Mr. Jaggers

Old May 28th 06, 02:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

I LOVE IT. LOL...

Old May 30th 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1893-S-Morgan-Do...temZ8424062582

Looks like the same school that all of the local and bourse dealers I
have seen in the last 30 years or so went to!

Reclining Buddha

The Original Couch Potato!
Old May 30th 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1893-S-Morgan-Do...temZ8424062582

Looks like the same school that all of the local and bourse dealers I
have seen in the last 30 years or so went to!

Careful, Buddha, you're starting to sound like me. 8)

Mr. Jaggers
'there are some real pieces of work behind bourse tables'

Old May 31st 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Tue, 30 May 2006 11:46:52 -0500, "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com is alleged to have written:

.. .
wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1893-S-Morgan-Do...temZ8424062582

Looks like the same school that all of the local and bourse dealers I
have seen in the last 30 years or so went to!

Careful, Buddha, you're starting to sound like me. 8)

Mr. Jaggers
'there are some real pieces of work behind bourse tables'

Grading scale for dealers:

NOTE: No uncirculated example is known to exist. All examples viewed
so far have either been polished AU's or presentation pieces just for
show.

AU: A great dealer! Strong buy prices, reasonable sell prices. Sure,
some coins cost more than sheet but that's because he paid more for
them. Shares his knowledge! The only slabbed coins in his case are
ones where authenticity might be an issue. Keeps a junk box for kids
to dig through, sometimes salting it with better dates. Drives a car
at least 10 years old with lots of miles from driving to shows. Looks
undernourished from eating at coins shows on a budget.

XF: Starting to show wear around the edges (may be toning gray), but
still a nice find. Somewhat wider spread between buy and sell, with a
much wider spread for a choice coin. Willing to talk coins anytime!
Some slabs in his case, mostly the above but including a few others
where a point of grade makes a difference. Keeps a junk box, but only
salts it around Christmas. Still an old car, but a pricer model. Tends
to look hungry.

VF: Starting to see real wear here. Hair tends to lose details and get
grayer, farsightedness becomes an issue as well. Buy/sell prices are
taken from the greysheet. Only talks coins if it will help make a
sale. Lots of slabs in the case, and you'll start to see some from
less strict services. His junk box is never salted and likely contains
true junk that he bought by the pound. Nice new car. Gets plenty to
eat, but mostly Denny's and Bob Evans.

F: Heavy wear all over. Beware, recolored hair and hairpieces are
common! Farsightedness becomes a real problem, as he tends to buy a
coin at VG and sell as an F. Tends to talk business rather than coins.
Case is mostly slabs, lots of off brand slabs and all of them priced
as if the grade was accurate...though prices drop rapidly if there's a
knowledgable buyer. Junk box typically will consist of coins that
won't slab. Drives a rentacar from the airport and has his coins
shipped. Usually seen eating.

VG: Heavy wear, but usually polished to a bright glow. It is not
uncommon to see hair retooled on these (sometimes referred to as
"replacement"), but normally this is easily detectable. At this level,
attitude is no longer a grading criteria, it's expected that dealers
at this level will have little worthwhile to share. Farsightedness is
no longer a problem, as the grade is whatever is says on the slab and
he only deals in slabs. No junk box, as there's no interest in sales
less than about $200. Rents a Jag for tooling around town when he
should be at his table. Eats at restraunts with valet parking.

G: Most dealers at this level disguise themselves to LOOK like higher
graded dealers. There are a few clues sometimes left: Large numbers of
overgraded slabs, out of date greysheets ONLY when the price went up,
unknown grading services using coin world holders, etc. But sometimes
it takes an expert to tell.

FR-AG: At this level, they don't generally bother to disguise
themselves as their only business is the sucker. Can spew bullcrap
about the investment potential of whatever crap coins he's pushing for
hours without saying anything legally binding. Has his own grading
service, but still touts those slabs as third party certified. His
case IS his junk box! Drives something large enough to load up his
stock and get out of town if the fraud squad gets his name.

Bruce (Bored: Too hot to cut grass)

ANA Defense Fund David Coins 31 June 25th 04 01:25 PM
Just A Reminder To New Alt.Collecting.8-Track-Tapes Group Members Daniel & Kathy Gibson 8 Track Tapes 7 May 17th 04 12:06 PM
ANA Grading Tape - not too shabby! Scot Kamins Coins 6 May 7th 04 03:28 AM
Just A Reminder To New Alt.Collecting.8-Track-Tapes Group Members Daniel & Kathy Gibson 8 Track Tapes 11 April 26th 04 12:52 PM
How to avoid getting cheated on eBay - periodic post Reid Goldsborough Coins 1 August 16th 03 01:30 AM