Ping Ira

Old May 29th 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Ping Ira

Try this link

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sir_ja...?.dir=/eba0re2

"Ira" wrote in message
ups.com...

Jim M. wrote:
I put the coin up at ABPN.

Real curious about this one. The rest of the set was in XF-MS60 range
including the svdb.

Thanks for looking.

Jim

Jim,

I got to alt.binaries.pictures.numismatic but all I see are 4 photos.
All are tiny and none seem to be from you. Better send me an e-mail at
the add'y previously posted in this thread.

Ira

Old May 29th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Either die 1 or 3, not a true No D variety. It looks like you can see a
bump where the D would be.

Wes

Old May 30th 06, 12:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

A Great BIG Thank you Ira and Wes.

I will put this in a 2x2 and label it as such. Worthless but a great
conversation piece!

Jim.

"Ira" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi Jim,

It's a Die Pair 1 weak D. The faint D was buffed away and the coin
recolored. The reverse has the tell tale: There's a straight Die crack
from the rim thru the O of ONE. On the No D weak reverse, the Die crack
jogs as a left tilted crack. On the weak Ds, far more plentiful, the D
is more visible and the die crack is straight. Fraudsters fill the O of
these with brown gunk to hide the crack entirely, a common alteration.
Die pair 1 has a stronger rev. than the Die Pair 3, so it's an
alteration that often deceives, even the old timers! Looks like a Gd-6
strong reverse Die Pair 2 except that the obverse is missing all the
diagnostics of the true Die #2. I've seen two of these in PCI holders
as 1922 No Ds with no mention of the die pair!

So its worse than just a Die 1 with the faint D that PCGS grades as a
No D "weak reverse." This one is an altered coin.

http://members.aol.com/iras4/altered1922weakD.jpg

Ira

Old May 30th 06, 12:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Thank you for the offer Dave.

This is such a great place, so many people willing to help.

Jim

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Sun, 28 May 2006 09:14:04 -0400, Jim M.
wrote:
Ira, I just picked up a collection of Lincolns and in the set is a 1922.
Can I send you a picture to take a look at it. See if it warrants a slab?

Jim, if you want webspace to post pics on, mail 'em to me and I'll put
them up for you. I'm sure lots of folks would love to have a stab at
this, and Ira and others have done a great job of educating us on the
1922. I'm _almost_ confident enough at this point where I think I could
spot an obvious fake.

My email address is real. Oh, anyone else wants something posted,
that's a standing offer to the group. Little stuff doesn't cost me a
thing.

Old May 30th 06, 12:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

You could also donate to the ANA. This way you'd have a tax deduction
(ANA is a valid non-profit) and you could be sure it would never get
into a collector's hands fraudulently. After all, when you pass on,
who's to say that when your assets are dispersed, someone won't try to
re-sell it as the real thing? Anyway, it's just a thought, Jim.

Ira

Old May 31st 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Bruce H (BoxTurtle)" wrote in
:

On Mon, 29 May 2006 08:59:31 -0400, "Jim M."
is alleged to have written:

"Jim M." wrote in message
Ira, I just picked up a collection of Lincolns and in the set is a
1922. Can I send you a picture to take a look at it. See if it
warrants a slab?

Jim

I took a look. I'm not an expert, but that coin looks bad to me. The
two's in the date look very different, like the coin was maybe altered
from a 1932.

But if Ira disagrees with me, I not only retract the above post but am
prepared to deny under oath that I ever made it. :-)

Bruce (Anybody else care to guess before Ira tells us?)

Without seeing Ira's reply, I'll say it's an altered 1933P.

Mark

PING: the living lady (third time) Larry Louks Coins 1 November 27th 05 01:52 PM
Ping Byron Reed Harv Coins 3 August 16th 05 03:32 AM
PING: Ian (also a note to all) John Carney Coins 5 December 12th 04 07:09 PM
PING: RCC Mint Coin Hosts Steve Gill Coins 2 August 3rd 03 11:43 PM
PING Mike Marotta South of Provemont Coins 3 July 24th 03 04:22 AM