found a old book with stamps

Old February 14th 04, 04:12 AM
David A. Elliott

Default found a old book with stamps

I found this book with stamps at a second hand store. Don't really know
anything about the stamps but you may be interested in it. I have listed it
on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...EASE%3AIT&rd=1

Any questions on it...let me know..I tried to describe each one as well as
possible.
David

Old February 14th 04, 01:52 PM
Dave

With high hopes "David A. Elliott" wrote in message
I found this book with stamps at a second hand store. Don't really know
anything about the stamps

That is a pretty safe statement.
but you may be interested in it. I have listed it
on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...EASE%3AIT&rd=1

Any questions on it...let me know..I tried to describe each one as well as
possible.
David

Prediction: won't receive any bids. Anyone else feel differently?

Dave
I'll leave the scolding about this post being in the wrong group to another.

Old February 14th 04, 04:10 PM
Bill Sharpe

"Dave" wrote in message

Prediction: won't receive any bids. Anyone else feel differently?

Dave
I'll leave the scolding about this post being in the wrong group to

another.

I'd agree with the no bid expectation. Perhaps if he had started with $5
instead of $100 to open?

Bill

Old February 14th 04, 05:07 PM
Bob Ingraham

2/14/2004 8:10 AM

"Dave" wrote in message

Prediction: won't receive any bids. Anyone else feel differently?

Dave
I'll leave the scolding about this post being in the wrong group to

another.

I'd agree with the no bid expectation. Perhaps if he had started with $5
instead of $100 to open?

Bill

I think the opening bid is perfectly sensible. The seller is expecting to be
paid not for the stamps, but for his labor! It must have taken him at least
10 hours to do all that typing, and he's figuring $10/hour!

Bob

Old February 14th 04, 05:20 PM
BraveNewWhirl

"David A. Elliott" wrote in message ...
I found this book with stamps at a second hand store. Don't really know
anything about the stamps but you may be interested in it. I have listed it
on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...EASE%3AIT&rd=1

Any questions on it...let me know..I tried to describe each one as well as
possible.
David

I just love these "alleged novice" ads. "Gosh, gee whiz - I found this
album under a stack of old boks in my grandmother's attic and I don't
know anything about stamps. Can someone help me?" Then I put it on
EBay for $100 to start and use insider descriptions on all the issues.
Can you spell f-r-a-u-d?
Old February 14th 04, 05:44 PM
Bob Ingraham

2/14/2004 9:20 AM

"David A. Elliott" wrote in message
I found this book with stamps at a second hand store. Don't really know
anything about the stamps but you may be interested in it. I have listed it
on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...egory=68 3&ss
pagename=STRK%3AMEASE%3AIT&rd=1

Any questions on it...let me know..I tried to describe each one as well as
possible.
David

I just love these "alleged novice" ads. "Gosh, gee whiz - I found this
album under a stack of old boks in my grandmother's attic and I don't
know anything about stamps. Can someone help me?" Then I put it on
EBay for $100 to start and use insider descriptions on all the issues.
Can you spell f-r-a-u-d?

Fraud? "Insider descriptions"? What is an "insider description"?

Here's a quote from the listing, describing one of the pages in the album:

"Picture 61 (page 4) - The next page to have a stamp on it is page titled
"United States - Watermarked USPS - Pan- American Expostion Issue" The stamp
is the most used stamp in this book. It is actually torn but looks to be all
there. It is marked no 300 and is depicting Franklin 1890 and I think at the
top it says series 1902. It is postmarked. I think it is number 300 of
Pan-American Exposition Issue 1902-03."

This isn't fraud. It's just simple ignorance about stamps. You've just gotta
love these sentences: "The stamp is the most used stamp in this book. It is
actually torn but looks to be all there." Almost describes me -- Most used,
nearly worn out, but apparenty all there. Or here. Or somewhere.

Bob

Old February 14th 04, 05:54 PM
Tracy Barber

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 17:44:14 GMT, Bob Ingraham
wrote:

2/14/2004 9:20 AM

[...]

A friend used to say "I'm here because I'm not all there."

Tracy Barber
Old February 14th 04, 11:01 PM
David A. Elliott

Pardon me, but as I mentioned in the listing, I don't know much about these
stamps. I tried to give as much information as possibe, but I don't know
what stamps are common or rare. My wife and I both did a lot of research in
different reference books, as much as we could find, on these stamps.

I have posted for years in different newsgroups about my auctions... so
sorry to offend anyone if I posted about a stamp auction in a stamp
collecting newsgroup. Pardon my ignorance.

Also, please excuse the starting price.. but when I consult a price guide
and the stamps I have show that collectively they are several hundred
dollars, I feel the start price is reasonable. After all, if I have a comic
book that is valued at $2,000.00, should I list a starting bid at $10.00 or
$1,000.00? If I see the stamps in this book, with my limited knowledge,
have a total value in a guide for $1,000.00, should I list it at $10.00?

Thanks for your input and the great attitude found in this group.

-David

"Tracy Barber" wrote in message
On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 17:44:14 GMT, Bob Ingraham

2/14/2004 9:20 AM

Old February 15th 04, 12:58 AM
Rodney

G'day David,
Perhaps to put things into perspective,
I have an advert image, from a stamp dealer in Denmark.

190,000 stamps for $889 IIRC.

Just one rare issue, in that lot could change the status,
but one needs both the knowledge and extreme patience to find that
particular stamp, even so the scarcity may belong to a watermark!
On a lesser scale, your album belongs to the same scenario.

Response to your auction should indicate the appropriateness of your price.

Good Luck

--

(Remove gum to reply)

Old February 15th 04, 12:59 AM
Dave

Pardon us for discussing what you threw in here in hopes to sell. You were
by all accounts looking for opinions if not bids. You got opinions of
knowlegable stamps collectors, but you were also told by them that it was
unlikely you would get any bids.
Now... on the other hand if you scanned all the pages and asked for
opinions of value you would have gotten about the same advise and thoughts
on your starting bid. You could have posted these on a web page before you
even invested your money in posting it on eBay.
What you and most novice and non-collectors fail to realize is that a
stamp only has value as long as it is desired. The many common stamps you
show and describe are minimal value in catalogs and almost worthless to the
majority of collectors. If a catalog says a stamp is worth 20c, that
doesn't mean anyone will buy it for 20c. So if you have 5,000 stamps worth
20c each by the catalog, don't even believe for an instance you will have
$100 worth of stamps.
Take this collection to a stamp dealer (or two or three) and see what
they will offer.
If I have a collection of 10,000 stamps and 9,999 of them catalog for
20c and the one stamp left has a catalog value of $100, guess what a dealer
will pay for my collection? Probably around $50, if that.
Another point. A damaged stamp is a damaged stamp. Doesn't matter how
damaged or all the pieces are there, it's still damaged and its value
decreases significantly even if it is a valuable stamp in undamaged
condition.
To sum up... if you put something forth like this, you will most
certainly get opinions. Don't expect us to fawn over your auction lot if it
isn't worth your asking price.
My earlier prediction still stands... you will get no bid unless you
are lucky and a real unknowlegable collector makes a bid. That person would
surely know less than you.
And you are most certainly welcome. Any time you require a critque, we
will evaluate for you.
Lastly, next time post your auction ads in
rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace.

Dave

[...]

2/14/2004 9:20 AM