France query.

Old October 15th 07, 03:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default France query.

Could anyone assist with the significance
of the T08 and especially the circled 4
on this cover face, please?

Reverse is void of markings.

http://cjoint.com/data/kpe0teT0st.htm

Old October 15th 07, 04:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

"rodney" wrote in message

Could anyone assist with the significance
of the T08 and especially the circled 4
on this cover face, please?

Reverse is void of markings.

http://cjoint.com/data/kpe0teT0st.htm

No answer, I regret Rodney, just another question. Place de la République
is in the 10th arrondissement but the stamps are cancelled (1956) at the rue
Mercoeur postal station which is in the 11th arrondissement. I was under
the impression that until the mid to late 60s when the Paris services were
more or less centralized, each arrondissement took care of its own mail.
Une toute petite question pour toi, mon ami Pierre.
--
Tony Vella, Ottawa, Canada
http://tv-stamps.shorturl.com

Old October 15th 07, 06:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
TL

On Oct 14, 8:58 pm, "rodney" wrote:
Could anyone assist with the significance
of the T08 and especially the circled 4
on this cover face, please?

Reverse is void of markings.

http://cjoint.com/data/kpe0teT0st.htm

There was much discussion about the number in the circle and one of
the answers was (and I have read where other people referred to it as)
a routing number.
The 'T' I think is postage due.

Old October 15th 07, 06:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Jay T. Carrigan

"T 08" definitely indicates postage due.

My guess (only a guess) would be that the circled 4
is an inspector's mark.

Jay Carrigan change domain to mchsi
www.jaypex.com

In article . com,
says...

Old October 15th 07, 06:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"TL" wrote in message
ups.com...

There was much discussion about the number in the circle and one of
the answers was (and I have read where other people referred to it as)
a routing number.
The 'T' I think is postage due.

I looked up my archives Tom,
and the previous queries were regarding the
numbered circles on stamps,
these were the French "New Year Cancels"

The cover in question is April, hence I believe
it has some other significance.

I do not recall any posts on routing numbers.
Rod.

Old October 15th 07, 06:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"Tony Vella" wrote in message

No answer, I regret Rodney, just another question. Place de la République
is in the 10th arrondissement but the stamps are cancelled (1956) at the

rue
Mercoeur postal station which is in the 11th arrondissement. I was under
the impression that until the mid to late 60s when the Paris services were
more or less centralized, each arrondissement took care of its own mail.
Une toute petite question pour toi, mon ami Pierre.
Tony Vella, Ottawa, Canada
http://tv-stamps.shorturl.com

It may be a "favour" cancel, Tony?

I know a little of the recipient (I have her Stamp Album)
I have strong belief perhaps her mother was a stamp collector
and the daughter continued the hobby.
They were a family brought up in Rabaul, Papua New Guinea
from the 1930's
Her father may have authored a book "Palms of New Guinea"
Perhaps Mum or Dad had stayed at the Hotel, used the stationery
and sent the stamps to their daughter, but posted it whilst
sightseeing or at work?

Old October 15th 07, 06:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"Jay T. Carrigan" wrote in message

"T 08" definitely indicates postage due.
My guess (only a guess) would be that the circled 4
is an inspector's mark.
Jay Carrigan change domain to mchsi
www.jaypex.com

Thanks Jay,
Postage Due?
It is carrying 110f postage.
It could not have been more than printed matter.

Old October 15th 07, 12:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On 15 Oct, 07:51, "rodney" wrote:
"Jay T. Carrigan" wrote in messagenews:zNCQi.136811$Xa3.108134@attbi_s22...

"T 08" definitely indicates postage due.
My guess (only a guess) would be that the circled 4
is an inspector's mark.
Jay Carrigan change domain to mchsi
www.jaypex.com

Thanks Jay,
Postage Due?
It is carrying 110f postage.
It could not have been more than printed matter.

T for Taxe and 08f = 8fr to pay, was my first thought, but IME
underpaid mail for overseas destinations doesn't get out of its
country of origin, due to obvious impracticalities of collecting the
PD. So it would have been returned to the sender at the hotel for
additional stamps, and there is no sign of this happening.

But of course this may not have been the practice in France in 1956,
or they may have decided the reasonably neat franking was all Robyn
wanted and hand-carried it rather than risk a second set of killer
cancels.

Pure speculation -- I can't offer any real insight.

Chris

Old October 15th 07, 01:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

wrote in message
oups.com...

T for Taxe and 08f = 8fr to pay, was my first thought, but IME
underpaid mail for overseas destinations doesn't get out of its
country of origin, due to obvious impracticalities of collecting the
PD. So it would have been returned to the sender at the hotel for
additional stamps, and there is no sign of this happening.

But of course this may not have been the practice in France in 1956,
or they may have decided the reasonably neat franking was all Robyn
wanted and hand-carried it rather than risk a second set of killer
cancels.
Pure speculation -- I can't offer any real insight.
Chris

Maybe not,
but I sure like watching your thought process.
If they had handed over the cover at a PO
then the clerk would simply request the additional.
So they must have posted it.
Once again I notice that return addresses
were not favoured on the reverse.
The cover was neatly opened one end so it must have
had contents.
I like the suggestion of hand carrying.

This is not the only intriguing cover from this family,
someone posted an Australian FDC to Mrs Broadhurst
on the 15th May 1937 addressed to Rabaul.
It left Murwillumbah Queensland on 15th May 1937
and curiously there is no Rabaul postmark.
Rabaul was flattened by a Volcano (I think) in 1937
I just have to find out the date.
It went by the "SS Montoro" which I believe helped in the
rescue of survivors.
I may have a "Volcano cover"
Cheers.

BTW I am not up with the lingo, I had to employ
http://www.acronymfinder.com/
for IME

Old October 15th 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
TL

On Oct 14, 11:26 pm, "rodney" wrote:
"TL" wrote in message

ups.com...

There was much discussion about the number in the circle and one of
the answers was (and I have read where other people referred to it as)
a routing number.
The 'T' I think is postage due.

I looked up my archives Tom,
and the previous queries were regarding the
numbered circles on stamps,
these were the French "New Year Cancels"

The cover in question is April, hence I believe
it has some other significance.

I do not recall any posts on routing numbers.
Rod.

Rod,
From memory, one reference was stated somewhat as "where the item

entered the postal system". It was quite buried in those conversations
but since, like you say, it was april and not on the stamp, I assumed
it wasn't the "new year cancels".
I just now searched "number circle cancel" and in there I found this
quote (part of) by Stan Fairchild, "The numerals-on-small-circles
normally were used to mark the entry of mail into the postal system at
Paris post offices. Each post office was assigned a unique number.
Thus these were postal markings normally, not cancellations."

The new years cancels were "use anything available" and the number-in-
circle were just that.
Whether or not they are used to mark the entry into the system by the
time your letter was sent is beyond me.
Since I have read somewhere else that a similar circled number was a
routing number, I somehow think that "routing" and "entry" might have
a relationship, or is that "rooting"?
Tom

France query. Rod General Discussion 7 July 6th 06 09:42 PM
France query. Rod General Discussion 1 April 15th 06 09:34 AM
France Query. Rodney General Discussion 6 July 19th 05 02:01 AM
France Query Rodney General Discussion 8 March 7th 05 04:33 AM