When to soak a stamp~further

Old January 3rd 07, 07:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

Default When to soak a stamp~further

Here is a good example piece for the individual.
would you soak this one?
A fairly yucky example, hard to mount, detracts from
any exhibit, each stamp has a SON.

I wonder what percentage of members would soak this one?

At my stage now I would keep it as is,
A British "used in Ireland"
and all "tied" with ths same handstamp.

http://cjoint.com/data/bdhAN2tGZq.htm

Old January 3rd 07, 11:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton

In a recent message "Rod" wrote:

Here is a good example piece for the individual.
would you soak this one?
A fairly yucky example, hard to mount, detracts from
any exhibit, each stamp has a SON.

I wonder what percentage of members would soak this one?

Definitely not.

At my stage now I would keep it as is,
A British "used in Ireland"
and all "tied" with ths same handstamp.

http://cjoint.com/data/bdhAN2tGZq.htm

I did put up a competitive exhibit demonstrating the postmarks
of Prato (near Florence, Italy) over a period of a year; my father
used to represent a textile firm there, and had mail almost daily.
He tore the stamps off the parcel or envelope, so all were on piece.

The exhibit was slated for being on pieces and not covers, despite the
fact that the 'covers' for the roller parcel cancels would have been
up to a metre long!

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
Old January 3rd 07, 01:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Rod wrote:
Here is a good example piece for the individual.
would you soak this one?
A fairly yucky example, hard to mount, detracts from
any exhibit, each stamp has a SON.

I wonder what percentage of members would soak this one?

At my stage now I would keep it as is,
A British "used in Ireland"
and all "tied" with ths same handstamp.

http://cjoint.com/data/bdhAN2tGZq.htm

I would keep it on but for a different reason.

Regarding the cancels, they can be saved off paper
in this case as they are SON.

However, the lines on the paper would indicate either
registered mail (in which case, the postage rate can
be verified) or fiscal use (possibly on a telegram or
other official form).

I cannot tell which from your scan.

If further investigation showed it was only from a
large parcel (quite a hefty postage rate) then I
would soak them.

My criteria are :
"Does it add to the story of the item to leave it
on piece?

Does it detract (visually, value-wise or information
wise) from the item to soak it off paper?

Blair

Old January 3rd 07, 01:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Blair (TC) wrote:

I would keep it on but for a different reason.

Regarding the cancels, they can be saved off paper
in this case as they are SON.

However, the lines on the paper would indicate either
registered mail (in which case, the postage rate can
be verified) or fiscal use (possibly on a telegram or
other official form).

I cannot tell which from your scan.

If further investigation showed it was only from a
large parcel (quite a hefty postage rate) then I
would soak them.

My criteria are :
"Does it add to the story of the item to leave it
on piece?

Does it detract (visually, value-wise or information
wise) from the item to soak it off paper?

Blair

Further to my last post, I can relate a story where,
after following the above process, I soaked an item
off paper.

The paper underneath revealed additional information
was printed on the paper but covered by the stamps
for over 100 years.

I then dried and mounted the paper in a mount
alongside the stamps for display and writeup.

Blair

Old January 3rd 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 15:39:36 +0800, "Rod"
wrote:

Here is a good example piece for the individual.
would you soak this one?
A fairly yucky example, hard to mount, detracts from
any exhibit, each stamp has a SON.

I wonder what percentage of members would soak this one?

At my stage now I would keep it as is,
A British "used in Ireland"
and all "tied" with ths same handstamp.

http://cjoint.com/data/bdhAN2tGZq.htm

I'd dump the backing paper. Lends nothing to the individual stamps.
The only thing it shows is that 4'6 was used to mail whatever it was.
Since there are no other identifying markings, one can only speculate
if this was postal or philatelic.

Further, the toning will be creeping on the 2'6 anytime now.

Finally, top 1' has a bad corner and doesn't look like a solid
vertical pair.
Old January 3rd 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On 3 Jan 2007 05:26:16 -0800, "Blair (TC)"
wrote:

Blair (TC) wrote:

[...]

Now this seems to work the best. Cleans up the stamps and keeps the
paper for any postal history salvageable use.
Old January 3rd 07, 05:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Keith \(Dorset\)

Hi Rod,

Firstly a belated thanks both to yourself and someone else for help with
the Australian perfs the other day. I had actually seen something similar on
auspost.com. Maybe I will post a further query when I return to these.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I agree, and would not soak these.

It's definately a tricky one and the temptation would be there for many to
'fill in' an album space or two by soaking.

I would very carefully, and only very slightly, 'straighten' the lower edge,
and parts of the left hand side of the piece with a scalpel. Then sit on the
piece for as long as possible to get it absolutely flat before mounting!...
possibly on thin, rectangular background, with narrow margins, before fixing
to album.

Happy New Year,

Keith

..

Old January 3rd 07, 07:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 17:38:22 -0000, "Keith \(Dorset\)"
wrote:

Hi Rod,

Firstly a belated thanks both to yourself and someone else for help with
the Australian perfs the other day. I had actually seen something similar on
auspost.com. Maybe I will post a further query when I return to these.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I agree, and would not soak these.

It's definately a tricky one and the temptation would be there for many to
'fill in' an album space or two by soaking.

I would very carefully, and only very slightly, 'straighten' the lower edge,
and parts of the left hand side of the piece with a scalpel. Then sit on the
piece for as long as possible to get it absolutely flat before mounting!...
possibly on thin, rectangular background, with narrow margins, before fixing
to album.

What would you do for the approaching foxing / toning?
Old January 3rd 07, 07:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Keith \(Dorset\)

Hi Tracy,

I don't know! As you say, it could become a problem... however, I just have
the 'overall' feeling that this one is best left alone.

I say this almost regretfully because I really don't like ('bits') and
'pieces' very much!

Sorry this is not at all helpful or technical, but that's the kind of
collector I am - one who goes by instinct, and what 'feels' right.

Best wishes,

Keith

PS the rectangular mount would be black.

Old January 3rd 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

What would you do for the approaching foxing / toning?

Going by the breadth of replies, one can see there
is really no correct answer, just a call.
I would keep on piece, foxing or not.
One advantage today is one can scan and provide
evidence before any action.
The trick is marrying the digital data to the example.