Ancient Mauritania.

Old May 15th 06, 08:37 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Default Ancient Mauritania.

"Rod" skrev i en meddelelse
Can we conclude Mauretania="sea-land"?
ie, land bordering the sea. Mare=sea.

Hardly, rather the Land of the Moors (German: Maurisch = Moors)
And thanks also for the Barbarian map, just found it in the thread :-)

"Rod" wrote in message
http://cjoint.com/data/fpfZpFvsPR.htm
At this time Prefecture of Italy, Diocese of Africa

Thanks, Rod. I would appreciate receiving the Barbarian map also.
Tony

Old May 15th 06, 02:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Thanks,
much more appropriate, I have trouble with this
"Moor" description, I was also surprised at the location
of the "Vandals", I had always thought them to be
in the German area, or at least North of Italy.

Old May 15th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Rodney:

Aren't the moors in Yorkshire?

http://www.ilkley.yorks.com/ilkley-moor.html
http://www.ilkley.org/iguide/baht.htm

d8*P
Blair

Old May 15th 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

On 15 May 2006 08:35:45 -0700, "Blair (TC)"
wrote:

Rodney:

Aren't the moors in Yorkshire?

http://www.ilkley.yorks.com/ilkley-moor.html
http://www.ilkley.org/iguide/baht.htm

see also
Dartmoor, Exmoor, Bodmin moor
all in Cornwall, Devon and Somerset

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. http://www.pherber.com/
Electronics for Visio http://www.electronics.sandrila.co.uk/

Old May 15th 06, 06:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Default Vandals (was: Ancient Mauritania)

Mette, thanks for the bit of history. I am not sure by what is meant by
"The tribe was Aryan and dealt severely with the Orthodox Christians".
Aryan is a racial distinction, so what did it have to do with religion?

Tony

"Mette" wrote in message
k...
skrev i en meddelelse
ups.com...

Thanks,
much more appropriate, I have trouble with this
"Moor" description, I was also surprised at the location
of the "Vandals", I had always thought them to be
in the German area, or at least North of Italy.

Under the circumstances -- huhh, to be Danish ;-)
-------------
Vandals, ancient Germanic tribe of Jutland (now in Denmark), who migrated
to the valley of the Odra (Oder) River about the 5th century bc. During
the 2nd and 3rd centuries ad they settled along the Danube River. They
entered Gaul (now France) in 406, invaded Spain in 409, and fought in the
latter country against both the Visigoths (another Germanic tribe) and the
Romans. Gaiseric became king of the tribe in 428, and under him the
Vandals achieved their greatest power. They moved to North Africa the
following year and there defeated the Romans. Gaiseric's sovereignty was
recognized by Roman emperor Valentinian III in 422. The Vandals
predominated in what is now Algeria and northern Morocco by 435 and
conquered Carthage in 439. Their navy ruled the western Mediterranean Sea,
and they looted and plundered in Italy, including Rome in 477. The tribe
was Arian and it dealt severely with Orthodox Christians. The Vandals'
power began to decline after Gaiseric's death in 477, and in 534 they were
defeated by the Byzantine general Belsarius. The modern usage of the word
vandal reflects the dread and hostility the tribe precipitated in other
people by their looting and plundering, especially in Rome.

Source: Microsoft Encarta 2002.

Old May 15th 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

In a recent message "Blair (TC)" wrote:

Rodney:

Aren't the moors in Yorkshire?

http://www.ilkley.yorks.com/ilkley-moor.html
http://www.ilkley.org/iguide/baht.htm

d8*P
Blair

There has been a lot of complaint recently about the heavy erosion
on Ilkley Moor, and how the council have been spending too
little on it. Bracken is taking over, while the moors on the
opposite side of the valley are privately managed and covered
in purple heather.

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
Old May 15th 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

| Mette, thanks for the bit of history.

Ditto for me too
now it starts to make sense. The Vandals apparently
taking kindly to the new Med climate.

Thanks also to the leg pullers,
yes, I am aware of the Moors, I am a Somerset boy,
and if I want to return, I simply put on a Van Morrison CD
(Rod Stewart's "purple heather")