Canada Perfin Revenues

Old June 1st 05, 03:47 PM

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 11:00:18 +0800, "Rodney"
wrote:

| Sheesh... why all the confusing techno-babble terminology?
| Oh well, a stamp is a stamp is a stamp is a...

Ahem! A stamp is a stamp, is a Cinderella, is a revenue, is a jumbo,
is a fantasy, is a postage due, is a .......zzzzzz

Nothing like a good catalog at the end of a day...

=======================
Tracy Barber
-----------------------
adirondack-pc
-----------------------
"Freebie Stamp Project"
=======================
Old June 1st 05, 09:36 PM
Bob Harper

wrote in message
On 31 May 2005 03:20:27 -0700, "malcolm"
wrote:

SNIP
As a native of Worcestershire, I request that you pronounce
it like what we do what lives he

WOOSTERSHEER erm, not quite - WUSTERSHEER, closer... the latter is better
but keep the U sound long as in WHOOSH rather than hard as in BUG

The one that gets me all a twisted is Worcestershire. Of course, I'd
like to say:

a) Were-Cess-ter-sh-eye-er

instead of

b) Werce-ter-shure

Malcolm, didn't the Irish support the Scots and so forth? Maybe I've
watched too many movies!

=======================
Tracy Barber
-----------------------
adirondack-pc
-----------------------
"Freebie Stamp Project"
=======================

Old June 2nd 05, 04:24 AM

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 20:36:15 +0000 (UTC), "Bob Harper"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

SNIP
As a native of Worcestershire, I request that you pronounce
it like what we do what lives he

WOOSTERSHEER erm, not quite - WUSTERSHEER, closer... the latter is better
but keep the U sound long as in WHOOSH rather than hard as in BUG

Gotcha! We have Worcester, MA and they all say Wooster, almost like
rooster, but kind of Wuhster. :^)

Old June 2nd 05, 07:42 AM
Douglas Myall

wrote:

SNIP
As a native of Worcestershire, I request that you pronounce
it like what we do what lives he

WOOSTERSHEER erm, not quite - WUSTERSHEER, closer... the latter is

better
but keep the U sound long as in WHOOSH rather than hard as in BUG

Not quite! The U sound is as in PUSH and the last syllable is as SHER
not SHEER.

Douglas

Old June 2nd 05, 06:12 PM
Tony Clayton

In a recent message wrote:

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 20:36:15 +0000 (UTC), "Bob Harper"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

SNIP
As a native of Worcestershire, I request that you pronounce
it like what we do what lives he

WOOSTERSHEER erm, not quite - WUSTERSHEER, closer... the latter is better
but keep the U sound long as in WHOOSH rather than hard as in BUG

Gotcha! We have Worcester, MA and they all say Wooster, almost like
rooster, but kind of Wuhster. :^)

Same in our Worcester (county town of Worcestersire).

This reminds me of when I worked in Canada, and a former WW2
serviceman swore that there were two counties in England;
one called Burkshire (as in Burke-shy-er), in which his (Canadian Forces)
camp was, and across the road the English civvies lived in Barkshire
(as in Bark-shur).

He could not be convinced otherwise!

I recall being in Calais, Maine (Callas, I think) and Calais,
France (Callay - ca as in cat, NOT call)) and Bangor, Maine
(Bang-or) and in Bangor, North Wales (banger)

To keep on topic, there was quite a good coin shop in Bangor,
Maine where I bought a copy of the Red Book and got a half-dollar
in change. There was also a good bank who allowed me to draw $80
on my credit card, which never ever appeared on my account!

--
Tony Clayton

Coins of the UK :
http://www.coinsoftheuk.info
Sent using RISCOS on an Acorn Strong Arm RiscPC
.... SEGA and Nintendo are combining, they call it Windows NT
Old June 2nd 05, 07:10 PM
Eric Kenneth Bustad

In article ,
mohawkyATcharterSPAM.net wrote:
}On Mon, 30 May 2005 19:58:13 GMT, "Roger Smith" wrote:
}
wrote in message
. ..
} On Mon, 30 May 2005 19:19:34 GMT, "Roger Smith"
} wrote:
}
wrote in message
m...
}
} Perfins on revenues was a common practice in Great Britain (before it
} became UK).
}
}Tracy
}
}I think we have been called the United Kingdom since some considerable time
}before perfins were ever thought of.
}:-)
}
} Probably mostly by people who live there. Not until recent history,
} has there been a shift in this "name-calling". :^P
}
} But, I digress and have done a little homework to be more edumacated,
} as us American rednecks must! Yee-haa!
}
}Tracy
}
}I regret to say that even here the terms are often (and usually incorrectly)
}used interchangably - witness expressions such as "Team GB" in the sports
}field.
}
}I know that I've been cautious not to write / type Great Britain on
}any envelopes I mail out. They all have United Kingdom on them. Back
}in the day, maybe even now, albums are printed with said name on the
}pages and that's what many go up knowing.
}
}I know one fellow in Scotland... if he receives a letter with anything
}other than UK on it, it goes in the trash - irregardless of what it
}is. A bit extreme, but I think he firmly believes!
}
}Anyway, the world isn't totally PC - yet. :^) Time to mail out some
}Freebie Stamps - wonder if any are going to the Isles?

The USPS seems to be pretty flexible wrt what to write on
an envelope going to the Mother Country. The example at
http://www.usps.com/global/addressingintlmail.htm uses
ENGLAND.

In the IMM (International Mailing Manual), it is
listed under "G" as "Great Britain and Northern Ireland
(Includes England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland,
Guernsey, Jersey, Alderney, Sark, and the Isle of Man)".
There is a listing for "United Kingdom" in the "Countries
and Localities" index which directs you to look under
"Great Britain".

Nevertheless, I've used "United Kingdom" on all my mail
to the UK. Seems to work.

--
= Eric Bustad, Norwegian bachelor programmer