FYI: The last Franklin Mint medals

Old July 13th 04, 03:22 AM
MWelbornjr

Default FYI: The last Franklin Mint medals

This is just an FYI for those who, like myself, enjoy collecting Franklin Mint
medals. The link will take you to the page on Franklin Mint's website for the
Reagan Medals.

http://www.franklinmint.com/Product1...egory_ID=11 4

Minted in sterling silver and priced at $195 they are overpriced, as the
current Franklin Mint is not the same company it used to be. But I seriously
doubt many of these will show up on the secondary market as FM ordered only 350
sets, give or take. I purchase three sets for myself and the quality is good
and the wood display case is attractive. FM medallic sets have been doing well
on Ebay lately too I have noticed.

Now some background. In 2000/2001 Franklin Mint developed and tooled in their
medallic facility a large collection of medals honoring Reagan. FM had been in
trouble for a while but in October 2001 things began to show and FM announced
it would sell off all minting equipment in February of 2002, which it did.
Needless to say several programs including the Reagan Medals were shelved.

Well by late 2003 FM had regrouped as a smaller company and began re-developing
these Reagan Medals but this time as a "one-shot" set of 4 since the company no
longer offered series. But then it got worse. In October 2003 FM announced it
was closing its doors for good. Then announced it would start as a new company
focusing on diecast (mainly repaints and some minor new toolings) and other
product as they see necessary. Well the Reagan Medals were already in the
works and were offered in January 2004. No paperwork was developed for this
collection..LOL But the quality is excellent. These medals were struck in
Philadelphia at the Keystone Mint, a small private mint that bought some of the
FM equipment and employed some of their minting staff. . They were struck
using FM made tooling. These medals bear the Franklin Mint mintmark. Well the
sets are in..only 350 were ordered...and the remaining supply is kinda low. So
if anyone wants this piece of history...go for it!!!

BTW Franklin Mints problems were caused by closed minded and arrogant
management. The company was a potential gold mine but FM neglected its true
customers.

Michael...
Old July 13th 04, 04:52 PM
WinWinscenario

BTW Franklin Mints problems were caused by closed minded and arrogant
management. The company was a potential gold mine but FM neglected its true
customers.

If you are any indication, they had some incredibly loyal customers. I've read
your posts about Franklin Mint with interest over the years, and, even as they
plummeted, your devotion never wavered.

The next company you "bond" with will be very lucky to have you!

Regards,
Tom
Old July 13th 04, 07:38 PM
MWelbornjr

Thank you for the kind comments.

Just curious...how can I find my original posting on this subject. I can not
find it at all...after I posted it nor right now.

Old July 14th 04, 05:17 PM
WinWinscenario

Your name and/or email addy doesn't come up for me in Google, either. Maybe
some of the computer sophisticates can provide an explanation.

Regards,
Tom
Old July 16th 04, 12:06 AM
Yousri Ahmad

Try this search in google "MWelbornjr franklin mint"
There are a lot of posts from you that goes back to 1997. and here us the
link
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=MW...=1&sa=N&tab=wg

HTH

--