Bank teller tells me that dollar bill WILL be replaced by Golden Dollar coin!

Old June 2nd 05, 05:40 PM
shreadvector

Just call them "APOLLO XI DOLLARS" and people will like them.

You can even spend them at the barbershop:

http://wcbs880.com/connnews/CT--Astr...rces_news_html

Old June 2nd 05, 05:52 PM
Edward McGrath

BRING BACK THE IKE DOLLAR COINS!!!! I just had to say it...

Old June 2nd 05, 06:13 PM
shreadvector

Why?

The APOLLO XI Dollar Coin is Ok as is and works in vending machines.
just don;t turn it over and look at Susan B. Anthony if you don't want
to.

Old June 2nd 05, 06:21 PM
Paul Anderson

In article ,
richard schumacher wrote:

I know Bill Krummel used dollar coins at his Dairy Queen but I
think it was the co-mingling of SBAs that caused him to abandon his
practice.

Say what? Is numismatic miscegenation a crime?

In article , A.E. Gelat
wrote:

What does Bill Krummel have against SBAs?

In article , Tony Clayton
wrote:

Since they are the same size as the new 'golden' dollar, and quite
distinct from a quarter, why should this affect him?

Most people, even those who like Sacs, don't like SBAs. I recall that
Bill didn't want people turned off by getting SBAs in change at his
store and since he couldn't get a reliable supply of Sac-only dollars,
he gave up.

Bill, please correct me if I'm wrong.

If I had a store, I'd be hesistant, too, about giving out SBAs. Even
though we all know they're bigger and heavier than quarters, they
confuse people a lot more than Sacs.

Paul

--
Paul Anderson
OpenVMS Engineering
Old June 2nd 05, 06:26 PM
Balaji Murthy

Bruce Remick wrote:
"Scott Stevenson" wrote in message

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 20:25:42 -0400, "Bruce Remick"
wrote:

"shreadvector" wrote in message
groups.com...

By the way, do the vending machines have stickers on them indicating
that customers can use the Golden Dollar? Are the coin slots adjusted
open larger than a quarter to allow dollar coins to be inserted? Many
older machines were set to block anything larger than a quarter from
entering and they often had the micro rocker switch set to "$ NO
ACCEPT" instead of "$ ACCEPT".

Why don't the vending machines have 4 coin tubes to accommodate 5c,
10c, 25c and $1 coins and have a bill validator set to accept $2, $5,
$10, and $20 bills and give change in dollar coins? That would help and
probably increase sales quite a bit. How many folks walk away from a
vending machine without making a purchase because all they had was a
$20 they got from the ATM????

How many folks walk up to a vending machine and can dig a dollar coin out of
their pocket? I'd bet you could stop ten people on the street and none would
have a dollar coin on them, whereas at least two thirds would have at least

one

dollar bill crisp enough to be fed accepted in a vending machine. (No fair
doing it multiple times. I'm not that daring.) I still can't see these

dollar

coins as anything more than Mint-produced tokens, if the only public place

they

seem to be found is in some coin-op machines.

Bruce,

One of the ways that I've found it to be very useful is when I'm
traveling, and I'm at an airport. If I want to buy a drink or a
magazine, it's orders of magnitude easier to fish a couple of dollar
coins out of a pocket with one hand than it is to try to get a bill
out of my wallet with one hand (the other hand holding the crap I need
to take when I travel).

take care,
Scott
... always has a few on hand for just this case.

I would not disagree with you, Scott, but my point is that the dollar coins
never reach the average traveler's pocket unless the traveler takes specific
steps to acquire some. Most people probably would find it more convenient to
fish for a dollar bill than to go out of their way to obtain dollar coins at a
bank, "just in case". I would gladly accept and circulate dollar coins if only
I received them routinely among my change from merchants. Otherwise, it's not
that much of an issue with me.

Bruce

This clearly is a catch-22 situation. Circulation and acceptance of
these coins need to go hand in hand. As for me, I always keep a few
handy, since the vending machines at where I work dispense and accept
these coins.

- Balaji
Old June 2nd 05, 06:29 PM
Edward McGrath

Ike dollar coins are big and hefty and fun to collect. I was a kid when
the Ikes were circulating, back then one Ike dollar coin would buy me

Old June 2nd 05, 06:59 PM
tanner520

Hey, I'm with you Ed. I like Ike's.

Old June 3rd 05, 01:43 AM
Bruce Remick

wrote:

[...]

It does seem frustrating when so many "outsiders" with at least average
intelligence can readily see why dollar coins aren't accepted and circulated by
the masses along with our other minor coins, yet the govt is unwilling or unable
to adjust. Instead, it continues with the status quo while members of Congress
battle each other to submit their own additional pet dollar coin ideas.

I guess I'm fortunate that I seldom have occasion to use vending machines. But
I suspect that as long as many machines will accept both dollar bills and dollar
coins, there will be no real incentive for customers to go out of their way to
obtain dollar coins just to use in the machines.

Bruce

Old June 3rd 05, 01:54 AM
Bob

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message
[...]

Well, the vending machines DO accept both dollar coins and people are NOT
using them. My stepdad does $50K a month in vending machine sales and he
gets somewhere around 1 SBA every 5 months and 2 SACs in the same time.
Compare that to about $20 per day worth of $1 bills, it would seem that
people are using more coins than bills but fewer dollar coins than dollars.
Not trying to make any kind of point, just providing information.

boB

Old June 3rd 05, 02:39 AM
Bruce Remick

"Bob" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

Confirms my suspicions, but your actual $1 coin vs $1 bill figures are truly
amazing! Three dollar coins taken in for every 3,000 dollar bills taken in over
a five month period? Do the machines give dollar coins in change? While these
figures are not likely representative nationwide, they sure are an eye-opener,
wherever those machines are located.

Bruce