Martin Luther's Samtliche Schriften First Edition 1740s

Old August 24th 05, 08:24 PM
Texas Book Collector

Default Martin Luther's Samtliche Schriften First Edition 1740s

I recently acquired a full set of the 24 volume Martin Luther's
Samtliche Schriften compiled by J. G. Walch in the 1740's in Halle,
Germany. I bought the books for their beauty - I liked the vellum and
handlettered binding, but now I'm curious about the significance of the
books and their value.

Can anyone give me some details on these books? I have been unable to
find them listed on any antiquarian website, except for an 1880s
reprint that shows up on a few sites.

I appreciate any response.

Old August 25th 05, 01:56 AM
John R. Yamamoto-Wilson

I recently acquired a full set of the 24 volume Martin Luther's
Samtliche Schriften compiled by J. G. Walch in the 1740's in Halle,
Germany.

The COPAC listings give the dates of publication as 1740-1753:

http://tinyurl.com/8q67r

I'm curious about the significance of the books

Here is a link to some information about the editor:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Georg_Walch

Apparently, he was an early scholar on the Pietism movement within the
Lutheran Church. His edition of Luther is still sometimes quoted by
scholars, but was, I think, superceded by the Weimar edition of 1883
(see, e.g., http://www.cord.edu/dept/archives/Luther'sWorks.htm).

I have been unable to find them listed on any antiquarian website

There's a listing for one volume (vol. 22) he

http://tinyurl.com/bpeea

If the pricing of that copy is anything like reasonable, you may have a
valuable acquisition there!

John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com

Old August 25th 05, 02:48 PM
Texas Book Collector

John,

Thanks for the reply! That's exactly what I needed to know. The set
is in great condition, and although I don't intend to sell them, it's
good to know that they are considered valuable.