Henry M. Stanley's Through the Dark Continent

Old February 16th 06, 04:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Henry M. Stanley's Through the Dark Continent

I recently bought a new 1988 Dover reprint of Volume 1 of Henry M. Stanley's
account of his travels through Africa, entitled "Through the Dark
Continent." (This is the same Stanley who located Dr. Livingston.) The
Dover publication is a reprint of the 1899 London edition published by
George Newnes. I am not certain, but the modern edition seems to be a
photographic reprint as opposed to being a new, typeset edition.

I am curious because on pages 174 and 175 there are black inkspots running
down the outside margins of the pages (four spots on p. 174 and two on p.
175). The spots appear to be printed in the same ink as that used to print
the book. Does anyone else have a copy of this book, and does your copy
have the same inkspots, or is this simply a printing error in the copy that
I own. Or are the inkspots simply photographic reprints of spots in the
earlier, 1899 edition? Or were these inkspots inserted in the book by some
nefarious black marker wielder who sneaks through bookstores randomly
marking up new books?

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me on this. I am relatively new to
book collecting and am not as knowledgeable as most of you.

~Dr. Zed

Old February 16th 06, 09:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

"WDruid24" wrote in message
. ..

I recently bought a new 1988 Dover reprint of Volume 1 of
Henry M. Stanley's account of his travels through Africa,
entitled "Through the Dark Continent." (This is the same
Stanley who located Dr. Livingston.) The

I am curious because on pages 174 and 175 there are black
inkspots running down the outside margins of the pages
(four spots on p. 174 and two on p. 175). I'd appreciate
any help anyone can give me on this. I am relatively new to
book collecting and am not as knowledgeable as most of you.

snippage

Dover Publications are one of the best publishers around,
IMO. They're one of the few, if not the only publisher to
publish a wide range of affordable reprints of classic texts -
everything from "Culpeper's Herbal" of 1653 - Plants - and "Moxon's
Mechanic Exercises" of 1677 - printing techniques - to the works of
Charles Saunders Pierce the late 19th early 20th century American
Philospher, from plates of Victorian wallpaper patterns to computer
graphics.

All their books are reproduced photographically and all are very
robust, even for softcovers, as they're all bound in signatures.

This is about the only negative from a pure collectors point of
view, as the books are sold on the basis of their content, rather
than their bindings

They're still going strong, and if you email them with your query
I'm sure they'll be able to help you.

You can email them from this page

http://store.doverpublications.com/c...arecenter.html

And here is their main page with deatails of their range of publications.

http://store.doverpublications.com/

michael adams

~Dr. Zed

Old February 16th 06, 01:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

WDruid24 wrote:

[...]

There are no spots in my copy of the same edition. My guess is a
printing error.

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
Have something to say, and say it as clearly as you can.

Old February 16th 06, 03:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Michael,

Thanks for the very helpful information. I have a couple other Dover
editions and they definitely are of very high quality.

~Dr. Zed

"michael adams" wrote in message

. ..

Old February 16th 06, 03:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Evelyn,

Thanks for the feedback. By the way, as I am in the process of working on a
manuscript for academic publication, I found your signature quotation very
insightful.

~Dr. Zed