The Russian Postal Service and the Meteorite

Old February 23rd 13, 04:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Sir F.A. Rien[_2_]

Default The Russian Postal Service and the Meteorite

USPS is the only carrier
that does not charge extra for Saturday delivery or that can service post
office boxes.

Saturday delivery is going away.
UPS does deliver to PO boxes in mail centres. Contrast that with NO
delivery by the PO and weekly delivery by Fedup Hex to my home! UPS
delivers daily!

FedEx was the leader in prices, and the most green, with 329 hybrid
vehicles, 19 electric vehicles, and 406 alternative fuel vehicles.

Stats can be twisted ... IF you run your 'regular' big van, nearly
empty, over a long route and -=also=- run another truck over the same
route [contract 'carrier'], then you aren't 'green' but a fuel waster!

So, which is best? The bottom line is that it depends on what you ship,
where you ship it and what packing-materials needs you have, if any. It

Any time I've compared Fedup Hex with UPS, they wer 12-15% higher
-and- UPS will pick up at my door! This saves me 2 gallons of gas to
take my package to the Fedup Hex 'drop box' in a pharmacy two towns
away. Again limited stats are alwaysmisleading.

depends on your customer service needs, and your sensitivity to
environmental issues. The best solution for your ecommerce business may not
be the best for mine. It depends."

NO, getting the package here, in a reasonable time, in good condition
is the concern.

BTW with all the laugh about elecric cars and such, they have all
forgotten that electricity, for the most part is a polluting
generation process! Just because the actual vehicle doesn't emit
pollutants, one needs to realize those were emmitted when the
electricity was -=generated=-. Further there's the bigger problem of
the lead and other high contaminents when the cars are repaired or
junked! None of the Greenies bother to address this MAJOR problem!
Old February 24th 13, 10:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bill Sharpe[_2_]

See my inline comments:

Sir F.A. Rien wrote in
:

USPS is the only carrier
that does not charge extra for Saturday delivery or that can service
post office boxes.

Saturday delivery is going away.

Aren't you paying attention, Rien? USPS will continue delivering
packages on Saturdays.

FedEx was the leader in prices, and the most green, with 329 hybrid

So, which is best? The bottom line is that it depends on what you
ship, where you ship it and what packing-materials needs you have, if
any. It

Any time I've compared Fedup Hex with UPS, they wer 12-15% higher
-and- UPS will pick up at my door! This saves me 2 gallons of gas to
take my package to the Fedup Hex 'drop box' in a pharmacy two towns
away. Again limited stats are alwaysmisleading.

depends on your customer service needs, and your sensitivity to
environmental issues. The best solution for your ecommerce business
may not be the best for mine. It depends."

Victor is right. Best solution for each individual may differ. I live in
the city. UPS store is right next to my Post Office branch. I have no
problems with FedEx or UPS deliveries. I am suffering a fourth month of
late mail deliveries -- after dark most days. And I have had only the
one undeliverable mail item, the one CD sent to Russia. Overseas mail is
much, much cheaper than UPS or FedEx service.

NO, getting the package here, in a reasonable time, in good condition
is the concern.

BTW with all the laugh about elecric cars and such, they have all
forgotten that electricity, for the most part is a polluting
generation process! Just because the actual vehicle doesn't emit
pollutants, one needs to realize those were emmitted when the
electricity was -=generated=-. Further there's the bigger problem of
the lead and other high contaminents when the cars are repaired or
junked! None of the Greenies bother to address this MAJOR problem!

I'll agree with this comment. Electric vehicles are also very expensive
and have limited driving range.

Bill

Old February 25th 13, 05:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Sir F.A. Rien[_2_]

Aren't you paying attention, Rien? USPS will continue delivering
packages on Saturdays.

Not according to the message my local Postmistress received. But then
perhaps city vs rural is handled differenty with them too?

"WASHINGTON — The United States Postal Service announced plans today
to transition to a new delivery schedule during the week of Aug. 5,
2013 that includes package delivery Monday through Saturday, and mail
delivery Monday through Friday. The Postal Service expects to generate
cost savings of approximately $2 billion annually, once the plan is
fully implemented."

Now ... since these recent 'decisions' also include chopping the hours
or rural PO's, the PM will NOT be at the PO on Saturday, as First
Class mail will not be delivered!

So .... NO DELIVERY ON SATURDAY for the rural US.

Also on the 'block' is 'compressing' the rural PO's hours to 10 AM to
3 PM, Monday to Friday.

Victor is right. Best solution for each individual may differ. I live in
the city. UPS store is right next to my Post Office branch. I have no
problems with FedEx or UPS deliveries.

Nor did I living in a smoggy city. However as I keep posting - Fedup
Hex does NOT deliver 'ground services' in the rural areas! They toss
it to a sub-contractor, no liability, claim in the tracking it's
'delivered' and wash their hands. It -=may=- arrive a week and more
later!

OH yes, we're also now into the 'extended delivery zone' with a
SURCHARGE! Simply a case of a company not wanting to really serve,
just skim the cream.

Last package I was forced to get that way was left in the rain up at
the barn's equipment door. So I tell -=all=- merchants, if they want
my order, they use UPS or USPS.