Pretty strong stuff for a hobby publication!

Old February 15th 09, 11:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

Default Pretty strong stuff for a hobby publication!

On Feb 15, 2:23*pm, "mazorj" wrote:
"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

"mazorj" wrote in message

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

It's off to sell some beer cans this weekend for me. *I'll soon
see what the economy has done to THAT hobby.

Does anyone grade and slab alcohol containers?

There is an established grading scale for beer cans but there have
been no slabs yet, thank goodness. *Back from the show today, the
1000 collectors we had last Feb were down to about 800 this year.
Likely an economy effect since collectors come from all over the US
and Canada. *But on the other hand, the money was flowing like
always. *Like coins, collectors are becoming more picky about what
they buy, but they still seem to have no qualms about plucking down
a couple grand on a rare can or piece of breweriana.

We have a big gun show running this weekend. *My brother shared a
table, said the attendees were lined up a dozen deep to get in. *A
sign of the times?

There was a guy from Dalton, Georgia set up not far from here at a
Eastman Gun show selling coins. It didn't look like he was doing to
bad. He had about 10 or so people standing round the table right as I
was leaving.
Old February 15th 09, 11:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Feb 15, 1:23*pm, "mazorj" wrote:

We have a big gun show running this weekend. *My brother shared a
table, said the attendees were lined up a dozen deep to get in. *A
sign of the times?

At the local flea market out at the State Fairgrounds, crowds were
pretty good. Coins and knives were selling very briskly today
(2/15/2009).

It takes no prompting by me to get people started talking about the
TARP and the "Stimulus" bill. People are hot and getting hotter. The
responsible people know that they are not going to get any help, and
the irresponsible people know that they are not going to get any help
either.

Many people would like to see Mr. Obama make some headway, but they
are not optimistic.

Lots of people also talk about the two big time tax evaders, Mr.
Geithner and Mr. Daschle. They get people absolutely furious. People
feel that both should be indicted for tax evasion. The feelings are
that any common citizen who did what they did, in such an obvious and
intentional manner, would be in prison for some time.

Americans' complacency has been remarkable to this date, but it seems
to be changing. I am known as a coin collectors to many of the flea
market regulars and today I had half a dozen people tell me
(unsolicited) that we will be using 90% silver coins and silver eagles
for barter/ spending money very soon.

oly
Old February 16th 09, 12:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

"oly" wrote in message
... today I had half a dozen people tell me (unsolicited) that we will
be using 90% silver coins and silver eagles for barter/ spending money
very soon.

Why? Why not use up those pesky FRNs first?

Old February 16th 09, 12:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

oly wrote:
On Feb 15, 1:23 pm, "mazorj" wrote:

[...]

People of all stripes take advantage of such events to vent their
frustrations. There was a constant angry din at the STL show as well. Such
people can always be counted upon to be problem finders, but very few can be
counted upon to be problem solvers. It becomes a can-you-top-this contest
of gloom and doom scenario. Such activity is actually a relatively healthy
way to deal with life's problems, and it occurs even in good times.

You see only two "tax evaders"? They are like cockroaches, in that for
every one we see by daylight, there are 100 lurking in the dark. We seem to
be treated to almost daily revelations of politicians' "weaknesses",
whatever they might be. We haven't seen anything yet - wait until
Blagojevich starts feeling the screws tightening on him. There's no
question in my mind that he knows a lot of "interesting" stuff about an
awful lot of people, and will use it to soften the pavement on his own path.
I hope he brings down a bunch of them, and I don't particularly care what
party any of them belong to. This might actually be the fulfillment of his
erstwhile campaign promise to clean up Illinois government. The sad thing
is that it will only affect 2% of the States.

James

Old February 16th 09, 12:37 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Feb 15, 6:12*pm, "RWF" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

... today I had half a dozen people tell me (unsolicited) that we will
be using 90% silver coins and silver eagles for barter/ spending money
very soon.

Why? Why not use up those pesky FRNs first?

Because the trust in the system is getting very frayed.

On the other hand, much like in the theatre play "Peter Pan", you
gotta believe in old Tinkerbell when she's dying (or else the show
doesn't go on).

Yes, we will use those FRNs for a bit longer, no doubt.

oly
Old February 16th 09, 12:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Feb 15, 6:34*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
oly wrote:
On Feb 15, 1:23 pm, "mazorj" wrote:

[...]

James- Hide quoted text -

I heard somebody else put it succinctly "What are the chances that
Obama had the bad luck to choose the only two tax evaders in the
entire Congress/ Banking/ Lobbyist clusterf++k??? Not likely.

oly
Old February 16th 09, 12:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

oly wrote:
On Feb 15, 1:23 pm, "mazorj" wrote:

[...]

I really hate to have to agree so wholeheartedly, but, damn my eyes, I have
to agree wholeheartedly.

James

Old February 16th 09, 01:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"sgt23" wrote in message
On Feb 15, 12:37 pm, "Bruce Remick" wrote:
"mazorj" wrote in message

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

"oly" wrote in message
An interesting article from KP:

http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/...cle&ArticleId=...

Bruce probably shouldn't read this, however...

oly

Aw, Oly. You know I can't handle that much small print.

Yeah, they cram so much other junk into the page that they have to set
the
text in agate to keep the scrolling to a minimum. If you have IE and a
wheel mouse, try doing CONTROL-wheel movement. Up increases the size of
web pages on the screen, down decreases it. You may have to recenter the
page horizontally, but it's a godsend when viewing fine print.

And from my work experience, I've learned never to rely on one pundit's
opinion. You can continue to feed an uncer and wring your hands raw if
you like. I prefer to stay positive. It's worked for me for almost 70
years so far through many similar doom predictions.

Me too, but that's in the long run. The long run is punctuated by
occasional downward spikes of varying duration and magnitude. The
question for investment money right now is how high will PMs go for how
long in the current turmoil. PMs undoubtedly will continue to rise (with
their own ups and downs) until their bubble becomes unsustainable and
investors start looking for the next big thing.

It's off to sell some beer cans this weekend for me. I'll soon see what
the economy has done to THAT hobby.

Does anyone grade and slab alcohol containers?

There is an established grading scale for beer cans but there have been no
slabs yet, thank goodness. Back from the show today, the 1000 collectors
we
had last Feb were down to about 800 this year. Likely an economy effect
since collectors come from all over the US and Canada. But on the other
hand, the money was flowing like always. Like coins, collectors are
becoming more picky about what they buy, but they still seem to have no
qualms about plucking down a couple grand on a rare can or piece of
breweriana.- Hide quoted text -

Could it be that we don't have people coming form other countries like
last year trying to buy up all the gold?

Huh?

Old February 16th 09, 05:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

"oly" wrote in message
[...]

Huh?- Hide quoted text -

I know there were more than a hand full of articles posted here at rcc
last year talking about Russians, Asians, and a few other
nationalities coming to the states to attend coin shows to buy gold,
silver, and platinum.