Can anyone explain what this guy means by "the recent rash of certification number thefts"?

Old December 11th 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
GregW

Default Can anyone explain what this guy means by "the recent rash of certification number thefts"?

I haven't heard of this and I am just wondering what it means. Are
people creating their own PCGS slabs now?

http://item.express.ebay.com/PCGS-MS...QtrZmerchQ3afs

Old December 12th 06, 01:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bill Krummel

"GregW" wrote in message
I haven't heard of this and I am just wondering what it means. Are
people creating their own PCGS slabs now?

http://item.express.ebay.com/PCGS-MS...QtrZmerchQ3afs

I have no clue as to what the seller fears. I have not heard of any "recent
rash of certification number thefts" nor do I know what gain could be had
from "stealing" certification numbers from auction photo images. It seems
to me that if someone wanted images of PCGS certification numbers, the
internet would be full of them.

Bill

Old December 12th 06, 06:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Brian Blackwell

"GregW" wrote in message
I haven't heard of this and I am just wondering what it means. Are
people creating their own PCGS slabs now?

http://item.express.ebay.com/PCGS-MS...QtrZmerchQ3afs

I think it has to do with registry sets. I've heard of someone that takes
slab numbers off ebay and registers them as their own and blocking the real
owner from using it.

Old December 12th 06, 06:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
coinsusa

Hi Bill,

What he is talking about is the hijacking of the certification
serial number for the fradulent entry into a 'Registry Set'. This will
eliminate the bothersome expense of having to actually own the coin in
the registry as well as cause a load of grief for the new owner who
tries to enter it to improve their set. I've seen several other
auctions do this, but it is not common. Usually the serial number is
blocked when a dealer has multiple coins to sell and is using a stock
picture, and he doesn't want a lot of noise about 'this isn't the same
pcgs MS69 bullion coin you had in the picture.'
This picture in this particular auction left the barcode intact,
which could be scanned for the serial number. A bit of work, but you
know how some people are.
Although I have had some sets that would rank near the top, I don't
enter my completed coin series in the registries. I learned long ago
that no matter how big, good, strong, fast, smart, expensive or
whatever... there is always someone just around the corner that can top
you. Seems to me that a lot of the folks with the registry sets are
just compensating...;-)

Check you later...

http://item.express.ebay.com/PCGS-MS...E-Dollar_W...I have no clue as to what the seller fears. I have not heard of any "recent

Old December 12th 06, 06:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ed. Stoebenau

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 19:33:45 GMT, GregW wrote:

I haven't heard of this and I am just wondering what it means. Are
people creating their own PCGS slabs now?

http://item.express.ebay.com/PCGS-MS...QtrZmerchQ3afs

It's due to registry sets. People will take a slab number to add to
their set even if they don't have a coin. Totally expected when you
have a novelty which makes imperceptibly different numbers more
important than coins.

--
Ed. Stoebenau
Old December 12th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bob Hairgrove

On 11 Dec 2006 21:51:08 -0800, "coinsusa"
wrote:

This picture in this particular auction left the barcode intact,
which could be scanned for the serial number. A bit of work, but you
know how some people are.

It's not really any work at all ... you can download BC readers from
the internet for nothing, even a lousy demo version will print out the
number for you (don't ask me for links because I don't want to
encourage such activities...)

--
Bob Hairgrove

Old December 13th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
coinsusa

wrote:

This picture in this particular auction left the barcode intact,
which could be scanned for the serial number. A bit of work, but you
know how some people are.

It's not really any work at all ... you can download BC readers from
the internet for nothing, even a lousy demo version will print out the
number for you (don't ask me for links because I don't want to
encourage such activities...)

--
Bob Hairgrove

I know what you are saying. I got a hand scanner for work and tried it
out on a few pcgs slabs ...
no problem... Of course there is another way to hijack serial numbers
without ever seeing the coins or holder, although it it quite a bit
more work... I don't want to reveal it either for the same reason.