Anybody here keen on collecting Nat'l Park Quarters?

Old March 9th 10, 01:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
george pearl

Default Anybody here keen on collecting Nat'l Park Quarters?

I am

I hear that the quarters will officially be released on 04/20/10 in
the millions.

It's my goal to go to banks and buy $500 boxes of quarters and only
save the
supergrade examples.

One coin dealer told me I'm wasting my time.

I can't resist, however, the search for rotated dies, die clashes and
other
errors.
Old March 9th 10, 02:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

george pearl wrote:
I am

I hear that the quarters will officially be released on 04/20/10 in
the millions.

It's my goal to go to banks and buy $500 boxes of quarters and only
save the
supergrade examples.

One coin dealer told me I'm wasting my time.

I can't resist, however, the search for rotated dies, die clashes and
other
errors.

I plan to put together one set P & D.

The dealer who told you that you're wasting your time needs a good dope
slap. What you do with your numismatic time is nobody else's business.

James the Old-Time Collector

Old March 9th 10, 02:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"george pearl" wrote in message
I am

I hear that the quarters will officially be released on 04/20/10 in
the millions.

It's my goal to go to banks and buy $500 boxes of quarters and
only save the supergrade examples.

One coin dealer told me I'm wasting my time.

I can't resist, however, the search for rotated dies, die clashes
and other errors.

Searching rolls is only a waste of time if you don't find anything
that grabs your interest, be it a suspected MS-70 (though you can get
burned if it doesn't grade to your hopes and expectations) or for mint
errors. In a $500 box of new quarters there could be a few of each -
or not.

The odds are you'll be disappointed practically all the time, but it's
not like the coins turn into pumpkins after you've checked them.
Spend 'em, re-roll them, or find a bank that has a free coin counting
machine in the lobby. (It's not good form to dump a zillion loose
coins on the teller's window.) And if the chase itself is enjoyable,
then it's not a waste of your time.

Old March 9th 10, 02:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

mazorj wrote:
[...]

I dissipated most of my youth vainly searching rolls and bags of coins for
key dates. But hey, it kept me out of prison.

James the Footloose

Old March 9th 10, 03:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

mazorj wrote:
[...]

An often overlooked benefit of numismatic pursuits for persons of all
ages and persuasions. (Okay, except for a few scammers. The ones who
got caught, that is.)