US Mint February 2010 Coin Production: Dimes

Old March 6th 10, 02:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Default US Mint February 2010 Coin Production: Dimes

Bruce Remick wrote:
Bruce Remick wrote:
Bruce Remick wrote:
"Paul Anderson" wrote in message
news In article ,
"Bruce Remick" wrote:

So you have no problem accepting a price markup to cover
shoplifting losses, but you do have a problem with any perceived
markup because a merchant accepts credit cards.

Of course I don't like prices that are higher because of
shoplifters. But there's nothing I can do about that.

So you accept it then. Why not accept the other? There 's
nothing you can do about that either.

If the price of a product is acceptible to you, you shouldn't
care what went into it.

A price is acceptable mostly in comparison to other merchants
selling the same item. Since everyone's price is higher because
of credit card fees, everyone pays more. The additional cost of
credit card fees will probably not make you decide not to
purchase an item at all.

You're assuming that every merchant factors the cost of accepting
credit cards into the price of every item. How do you know for
sure? How do you know which ones might absorb that small cost in
order to remain competitive or to gain a competitive advantage?
There are so many things that decide the final price of an item
that it's silly to be obsessed with any one of them.

If you ever use an ATM to get your cash, do you accept paying a
fee just to withdraw some of your own money?

No. In an emergency I might, but I always go to my own bank and
don't pay an ATM fee.

I'll bet you DO pay for that convenience in the same hidden way
you might be paying those alleged higher prices from a merchant.
You'll probably never know how, but banks seldom give out "free"
services without getting their pound of flesh elsewhere.

The low rates they're paying on CDs and the even lower rates on
passbook savings are part of that POF. Right now, my bank is
paying less on savings accounts than it did when I was 16, and
that was just a few short years ago.

James the Usurer

I thought I would never see my credit union offering passbook/share
interest at less than 1%. Now the only way to avoid seeing it is to
cover my eyes when I get my statement. Lately, the stock market is
the only thing that's been been paying off, for me anyway. It's not
too hard to beat 1% annual interest.

Hey, I've got an idea, we should invest in rare coins! After all,
they're not making them any more. Oops, wait, um...er...

James the Conniver

You should have learned by now that one should NEVER buy coins with a
profit motive-- only for enjoyment.

Exactly, but I enjoy them a lot more if they are the genuine article.

James the Realist