First Flight Commem Still Available?

Old August 10th 03, 11:09 PM
Glenn A. Miller

Default First Flight Commem Still Available?

I ordered one of each proof the minute I saw your post. 1 in 35,000 odds
beats the lottery hands down, eh?

On 8/10/03 2:43 PM, in article
, "Oregon"
wrote:

I'm surprised that the first flight commem hasn't sold out yet.

Old August 11th 03, 01:24 AM
Dale Hallmark

"Harv" wrote in message

"Oregon" wrote in message
y.com...
I'm surprised that the first flight commem hasn't sold out yet. Pretty
significant historical event, good looking coin, limited mintage. What

was
it about the Buffalo dollar that caused such a response vs. other
commemoratives? I was thinking that the first flight coin might have

held
similar interest, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It has to be

better
than other recent commemoratives (Visitor Center coins still

available!).
O.

The Capitol Visitor Center coins are NOT still available from The US Mint.

The Buffalo Dollar had an almost magical universal appeal, for many

reasons,
unlike any other Modern Commemorative in recent memory, which is why it

sold
out in two weeks. The First Flight (Wright Brothers) Commemoratives do

not,
I think, have that same appeal, and my guess is that they will be on sale
for a full year, just as The West Point dollars were..

I think next year's Thomas Edison Commemorative has the potential to be a
fast sell out.. Likewise, there are any other number of famous Americans
who the US Mint could put on a Commemorative and sell quickly, such as

Mark
Twain, Walt Disney, Will Rogers, Charles Lindberg, Henry Ford, and other
inventors, artists, innovators, scientists, statesmen, humorists, and so
on.. Edison is long overdue for a coin of his own..

I think if The US Mint wants to sell a $#!+load of commemoratives, they'll
also think about bringing back other classic US coin designs and turning
them into Commemoratives as they did the Buffalo nickel (and not dick

around
with the design too much).. but of course The Mint can't just crank out
anything it wants to. A bill has to first go through Congress and be

signed
into law to authorize a new Commemorative, which means some

Congresscritter
has to dream up some "worthy cause" that can be funded by the premiums

added
to the prices of those Commemoratives..

Anyway, I don't expect the Wright Brothers coins to sell out quickly.

Having
said that, and having not ordered any yet (since I don't like the idea of
paying money now and having to wait six weeks before they actually start
shipping them).. I just hexed myself.. again.. or not.. maybe.. who

knows..
..

Harv

Harv

Want to see a Commemorative that would sell out faster than the Buffalo?
Then pray for a 2009 -S VDB Lincoln Wheat back Commemorative :-)
I think it would break all records!

Dale

Old August 11th 03, 02:17 AM
WinWinscenario

Modern commems almost never sell out. Of the seven $10 commems issued (five
for the LA Olympics in 1984; two for the Library of Congress in 2000), none
have been big sellers. In fact, they have shown aftermarket potential simply
because they sold so poorly.

The Buffalo commem was unique. None of the others have sold out quickly and
still commanded a premium in the aftermarket.

Regards,
Tom
Old August 11th 03, 02:36 AM
Phil DeMayo

Chrysta Wilson wrote:

You know what? I had all these very same thoughts when the West Point
commem came out and I absolutely *had* to buy it right then or else! Then
it took months to sell out. I guess if I hadn't got mine, it woulda gone
in a week.

I don't recall ever hearing that the West Point commem was a sellout. Are you
sure the program just didn't expire 12-31-02 as specified in the authorizing
legislation???

Incidently....the last three (and perhaps only) sellouts in the modern
commemorative program were the White House, The Jefferson and the Buffalo
dollars. The first two enjoyed a price increase after the sellouts were
announced, but the market eventually collapsed. That hasn't really happened
with the Buffalo dollar.

++++++++++
Phil DeMayo - always here for my fellow Stooge
When bidding online always sit on your helmet
Just say NO to counterfeits
Old August 11th 03, 05:05 AM
Ron

Actually, it may have expired, or sold out, but it didn't happen until
sometime this year.
I wasn't after anything coin related until around Feb/Mar and when I
checked the Mint, I remember they were still available.
Didn't buy them, decided a week or two later I wanted them and they
were no longer available.
I bought 2 Unc and 1 proof on ebay after that.

Ron

PS...I could be wrong about the dates, I would have to check and be
sure, but I don't remember getting anything coin-related around Xmas
and my first buys from the US Mint were 3/13/03 so it wouldn't have
been off by much on the timeline.

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 22:22:34 -0400, Chrysta Wilson
wrote:

In article ,
says...
Chrysta Wilson wrote:

You know what? I had all these very same thoughts when the West Point
commem came out and I absolutely *had* to buy it right then or else! Then
it took months to sell out. I guess if I hadn't got mine, it woulda gone
in a week.

I don't recall ever hearing that the West Point commem was a sellout. Are you
sure the program just didn't expire 12-31-02 as specified in the authorizing
legislation???

No, I'm not sure...so I'm sure you're right! )

Chrysta

Old August 11th 03, 05:43 AM
Nooker

just ordered my Gold proof & unc, Silver Proof & unc, Clad Proof & unc.

I know, that's a boatload . . . but like I said before, the pilot in me had
control over the joystick (mouse) and it must have been on autopilot

Mark

Old August 11th 03, 11:04 AM
Christian Feldhaus

Harv wrote:

since I don't like the idea of paying money now and having to wait six
weeks before they actually start shipping them

Except when it comes to certain euro mini-countries, hmm? ;-)

The design of the $1 coin is attractive in my opinion. The half dollar
is not quite as nice (maybe a little static), but I'll still try to get
both silver coins. Int'l shipping is quite expensive, though, when
ordering directly from the US Mint. Guess I will wait until I either get
to the US next time or until some dealer around here offers them ...

Christian
Old August 11th 03, 04:28 PM
LDRS HBBY NUMI

Modern commems almost never sell out. Of the seven $10 commems issued (five
for the LA Olympics in 1984; two for the Library of Congress in 2000), none
have been big sellers. In fact, they have shown aftermarket potential simply
because they sold so poorly.

The $10 LOC bi-metallic coin is currently trading at about $1100 for UNC and
$600 for proof. No, they didn't sell out, but that just creates a lower supply,
steady demand = higher prices. Wish I had bought them at issue price from the
mint.

I don't recall ever hearing that the West Point commem was a sellout.

Nope, not a sell-out either. They never reached the authorized maximum mintage.
Aftermarket prices have not shown much growth, as yet. I believe that they were
still for sale on the mint website as late as May.
Old August 11th 03, 06:13 PM
Harv

"LDRS HBBY NUMI" wrote in message

The $10 LOC bi-metallic coin is currently trading at about $1100 for UNC

and
$600 for proof. No, they didn't sell out, but that just creates a lower

supply,
steady demand = higher prices. Wish I had bought them at issue price from

the
mint.

I'd adjust those figures down somewhat, having sold a few of these,
including two NGC MS70s.. the Uncs. are going for about $900.00 both raw and
MS69s, (unless you can get a PCGS or NGC MS70).. and the Proofs for about
$450.00 (same caveat).. which is pretty close to issue price.. the Uncs.,
with a mintage of under 6800 is obviously far more rare than the Proof with
a mintage of just under 33,000..

I don't recall ever hearing that the West Point commem was a sellout.

Nope, not a sell-out either. They never reached the authorized maximum

mintage.
Aftermarket prices have not shown much growth, as yet. I believe that they

were
still for sale on the mint website as late as May.

Correct.. they did not reach their authorized mintage, although they came
closer than a lot of other Modern Commemoratives of the past few years.. I
was wrong early on when I said I thought this could be Buffalo Dollar V2.0..
it was nowhere close..

Harv