Treasure, but no trove

Old February 10th 06, 12:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Treasure, but no trove

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/comme...706446,00.html

Old February 10th 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On 10 Feb 2006 04:50:04 -0800, "stonej"
wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/comme...706446,00.html

Granted, I know less than nothing about these early gold coins, but
the coin pictured looks to me like a 100% fake tourist piece. From
the perfect roundness to the unbelievably flat fields, I would never
think that it could be real, considering the low overall quality of
coins minted in this time period. If I had to guess, I would say it
was a modern fantasy 'Medieval Faire' type medal with the portrait
loosely copied from an old Constantinian era copper and a contrived
legend that was not meant to be taken seriously. I am waiting for
someone to come forth with a few of its die matched brothers purchased
as souvenirs in the last ferw years.

The problem with many museums is that they see what they want to, and
often ignore obvious signs to the contrary, because the curators have
a 'theory' as to what it all means.

Reclining Buddha

The Original Couch Potato!
Old February 10th 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Granted, I know less than nothing about these early gold coins, but

You should have stopped right there..... but too late

Old February 11th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On 10 Feb 2006 13:13:14 -0800, "stonej"
wrote:

Granted, I know less than nothing about these early gold coins, but

You should have stopped right there..... but too late

Good one!

Reclining Buddha

The Original Couch Potato!

Coins among treasure trove off Indonesia stonej Coins 0 September 8th 05 04:48 PM
Summer Swap Treasure Trove Anka Coins 0 August 18th 05 01:30 AM
Collector has treasure trove of history stonej Coins 0 June 16th 05 07:08 PM
National Treasure - hollywood discovers Templar treasure Alert Coins 0 December 7th 04 12:25 PM
Lost Templar treasure - clues in Hertfordshire! Alert Coins 3 November 30th 04 10:36 PM