When buying coins from the U.K. using E-bay

Old February 9th 06, 06:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default When buying coins from the U.K. using E-bay

"Tony Clayton" wrote in message

[snip]

Sending money via Western Union is dangerous, as there is no check
on who collects.

This notion is echoed in some of eBay's own material. It's not right out
where you can readily see it, but occasionally I have run across it.

The only safe and cheap method of international transfer is via Paypal,
whether you like it or not.

No question about this whatsoever. I wish more people knew this, believed
this, and took appropriate steps to make it part of their eBay listings.
They'd certainly get more bids from me!

Mr. Jaggers

Old February 9th 06, 09:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Ο "Tony Clayton" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
In a recent message "gogu" wrote:

? "Lowell Kempton" ?????? ??? ??????
I'm thinking about collecting the Silver 2lb. Britannias. I'm curious,
when mailing a personal check to a seller in the U.K. on average, how
long does it take for the check to clear an over-seas bank? In other
words, how long can one expect for the transaction to complete and the
buyer (me) receive the coin? Also, If I make out a check for X dollars,
do I need to specify, on the check, payable in U.S funds?

You'll hardly find an overseas seller to accept a personal check, let
alone
he must pay around $10.00 to $15.00 to his bank to clear.

If you don't want to use Paypal Western Union is your friend: in 10 to 20
minutes the seller will have
your money in his hands.
No checks to send no nothing; they just give you a number, you are
communicating it to the seller, seller goes to a WU office in England and
with that number he is taking his money!
WU charges a fee depending on the amount you are sending.

Sending money via Western Union is dangerous, as there is no check
on who collects.

The only safe and cheap method of international transfer is via Paypal,
whether you like it or not.

Of course it is, but since the original poster hasn't mentioned it I assumed
that
he does not want to use Paypal.
As for sending money through WU, it is not so dangerous at all.
Only the person who has the 10(?) digits number can collect it, so if you
are
telling it only to the seller nobody can collect for him...
I've sent money many times this way and it always went smooth.

rgrds

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi

Coins, travels and mo http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/golanule/my_photos
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :

Old February 9th 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Ο "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com έγραψε στο μήνυμα

"Tony Clayton" wrote in message

[snip]

Sending money via Western Union is dangerous, as there is no check
on who collects.

This notion is echoed in some of eBay's own material. It's not right out
where you can readily see it, but occasionally I have run across it.

The only safe and cheap method of international transfer is via Paypal,
whether you like it or not.

No question about this whatsoever. I wish more people knew this, believed
this, and took appropriate steps to make it part of their eBay listings.
They'd certainly get more bids from me!

Fully agree.
I am bidding *only* on auctions where sellers accept Paypal.
I had a bad experience with Paypal some time ago and I said that I'll never
use Paypal again to receive money but I decided to use it when I am the
buyer.
Now that Bidpay went out of business this is the only safe way to send
money.
Occasionally when a seller is not accepting Paypal payments from non US
buyers
I send cash in the mail...

Old February 9th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Thanks guys, lots of good ideas here.... I don't use paypal because I no
longer give out any credit card numbers (to anyone) over the internet. I
got stung to the tune of $5,500 several yours ago, tho it was eventually
corrected, it took a long time to fix.

It sounds like international money orders or Western Union (depending on
price) will be the tickets i'll be using if approved by the seller.

Thanks again
Lowell

Old February 9th 06, 11:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

gogu wrote:
[...]

A known conman will not be trusted by anyone despite his cunning sales
pitch !

BEWARE of Romanians masquerading themselves as greeks

htt://snipurl.com/dilp

Old February 9th 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

[...]

The problem is that all is well until you encounter a fraudster.

With Western Union you have no recourse if the goods fail to arrive.

Frankly, I now generally ONLY buy from vendors allowing Paypal
(if a non-UK vendor), even if I might get a bargain from the
others. I might on VERY rare occasions use cash for a US vendor,
but not Italy, Croatia, etc..

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
http://www.coinsoftheuk.info
Sent using RISCOS on an Acorn Strong Arm RiscPC
.... Housework can kill you if done right.
Old February 10th 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

The racist pig from Thesalonika gogu wrote:

I had a bad experience with Paypal some time ago and I said that I'll never
use Paypal again to receive money but I decided to use it when I am the
buyer.

WTF ? is this Rrromanian for real ???

Now that Bidpay went out of business this is the only safe way to send
money.

WHAT ?

*ROTFFLMFAOAY*

Ladies and gentlemen........

I give you........

GOGU LOGIC !

Mbouhaaaaarharharharharharharharharharharharharhar

Old February 10th 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 14:28:51 -0800, Lowell Kempton wrote:
Thanks guys, lots of good ideas here.... I don't use paypal because I no
longer give out any credit card numbers (to anyone) over the internet. I
got stung to the tune of $5,500 several yours ago, tho it was eventually
corrected, it took a long time to fix.

While I understand your feelings on this one, I'd like to suggest that
this reaction is similar to "I never will cook again because that one
stove was hot and I got burned on it". It'd be better to learn how to
identify trustworthy sites (with valid certs and secure encryption)
rather than just assume that all e-commerce sites are equally dishonest
with whoever burned you.

Dave Hinz

Old February 10th 06, 02:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

PayPal is the best method overall for foreign transactions, in terms of
safety, cost, speed, etc. In lieu of that, I usually send bills for
small amounts without a problem to "Westernized countries" (most people
take US dollars it seems). Only problem I ever had was sending cash to
Belem, Brazil... Fairly sure it wasn't the seller - he was an ex-pat
from Cincinnati who sent me long emails about the Reds and how he
missed Ohio. Belem, BTW, is a very poor area, apparently... I learned
my lesson. On occasion, I even send coins - heavy, but what else can
you do with Brit. 20p pieces here in the US?

On the receiving end, I've been sent cash maybe 15, 17 times, mostly
Canada and W. Europe and never has there been a problem.

One thing to note, a normal Western Union M.O. you buy for a buck or so
here in the States is supposed to be "internationally negotiable", I've
been told at the kiosks... I'm not sure what the person on the other
other end actually ends up doing with it, though.

Old February 10th 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Ο "Tony Clayton" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
In a recent message "gogu" wrote:

Sending money via Western Union is dangerous, as there is no check
on who collects.

The only safe and cheap method of international transfer is via Paypal,
whether you like it or not.

Of course it is, but since the original poster hasn't mentioned it I
assumed
that
he does not want to use Paypal.
As for sending money through WU, it is not so dangerous at all.
Only the person who has the 10(?) digits number can collect it, so if you
are
telling it only to the seller nobody can collect for him...
I've sent money many times this way and it always went smooth.

The problem is that all is well until you encounter a fraudster.

True.
But I have encountered a fraudulent buyer and I lost about 125 euros.
And that was with *Paypal*!!!
Of course part of the fault was mine but Paypal also failed to protect me:
they have announced me that the account I was paid from was a highjacked
account ... 7 days after I received payment !
Of course the coin was already shipped...

With Western Union you have no recourse if the goods fail to arrive.

This is also true.
But this was the case with Bidpay, too, if the seller was a scammer...

Frankly, I now generally ONLY buy from vendors allowing Paypal
(if a non-UK vendor), even if I might get a bargain from the
others.

Right, I am also following your steps.

I might on VERY rare occasions use cash for a US vendor,
but not Italy, Croatia, etc..

Oh, come on, this is common sense ;-)
The money I lost with Paypal was from a buyer from the ... Latvia ;-)
I learned the hard way...

Rgrds

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi
puttane! F.d.A

Coins, travels and mo http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/golanule/my_photos
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
http://www.coinsoftheuk.info
Sent using RISCOS on an Acorn Strong Arm RiscPC
... Housework can kill you if done right.

Toning: real, artificial, in between? -- periodic post Reid Goldsborough Coins 0 January 11th 04 08:01 PM
US Territories and... Grandpa Coins 29 September 22nd 03 08:11 PM
Help on telling repro Linda Coins 11 July 30th 03 02:03 AM