Roosevelt and the March of Dimes

Old June 12th 04, 02:31 AM
ISteveador

Default Roosevelt and the March of Dimes

Am trying to stay on topic,and not sure if all my facts are certain,(someone
will correct me if I'm wrong) but had believed that FDR was put on the dime
because of his work with the March of Dimes and the MODimes success over polio.
Do not know that Mr. Reagan was a champion of this cause, while I am a fan of
R.R. none of my favorite coins show dead presidents, (Ben Franklin was never
elected to that office, was he?)
If Mr. Reagan's plight brings about better treatment for Alheimer's then we
should honor the reseachers who find the cure, but please not on a coin. Would
rather see the Human spirit and ideals on the obverse and accompliments on the
reverse. will go back to lurk mode now.

If you forget where you left your keys its a blond moment,
If you forget what your keys are for it's Alheimer's
Old June 12th 04, 01:10 PM
ELurio

Am trying to stay on topic,and not sure if all my facts are certain,(someone
will correct me if I'm wrong) but had believed that FDR was put on the dime
because of his work with the March of Dimes and the MODimes success over polio.
BRBR

FDR FOUNDED the "March of Dimes." It was originally called "The Warm Springs
Foundation" and was based in that famous spa he purchased in 1923 for the
purpose of getting well. THe MoD was originally name of the annual fundraising
drive for the WS foundation, BTW.

while I am a fan of
R.R. none of my favorite coins show dead presidents, (Ben Franklin was never
elected to that office, was he?) BRBR

No, he was President of Pennsylvania during the confederation period and was on
the half cent denomination in the 1930s presidential stamp series, so he's
considered sort of an "honorary president."

eric l.

Old June 12th 04, 04:17 PM
TomDeLorey

And the annual Mothers March Against Polio was also known as the "Torch Drive,"
because women went out collecting door to door in the evenings carrying
flashlights, which used to sometimes be called torches. Though the torch on the
reverse of the Roosevelt dime is officially the "Torch of Freedom," I am sure
there is a double meaning here.
Tom DeLorey
..
Subject: Roosevelt and the March of Dimes
From: (ELurio)
Date: 6/12/2004 7:10 AM Central Daylight Time
Am trying to stay on topic,and not sure if all my facts are
certain,(someone
will correct me if I'm wrong) but had believed that FDR was put on the dime
because of his work with the March of Dimes and the MODimes success over
polio.

FDR FOUNDED the "March of Dimes." It was originally called "The Warm
SpringsFoundation" and was based in that famous spa he purchased in 1923 for
thepurpose of getting well. THe MoD was originally name of the annual
fundraisingdrive for the WS foundation, BTW. while I am a fan ofR.R. none
of my favorite coins show dead presidents, (Ben Franklin was neverelected to
that office, was he?)

No, he was President of Pennsylvania during the confederation period and was
onthe half cent denomination in the 1930s presidential stamp series, so
he'sconsidered sort of an "honorary president."eric l.

TomDeLorey
-
Ben Franklin: "A Penny saved.....
"...is a CENT!" snapped Thomas Jefferson, back in the debate over the proposed
U.S. monetary system.
Old June 12th 04, 04:59 PM
phil

Hence the reason many don't want to fool with changing the design of the
dime;the portrait on it transcends politics because of the universal nature
of what it represents,and its symbolic connection to that cause.
Even though I favor changing designs on circulating coinage,I feel that FDR
is befitting his place on the dime and should stay there,at least for now.
phil

.

Old June 12th 04, 06:35 PM
Edwin Johnston

"TomDeLorey" wrote in message
And the annual Mothers March Against Polio was also known as the "Torch

Drive,"
because women went out collecting door to door in the evenings carrying
flashlights, which used to sometimes be called torches. Though the torch

on the
reverse of the Roosevelt dime is officially the "Torch of Freedom," I am

sure
there is a double meaning here.

snip

Not to mention the need to remove the fasces on the obverse of the Mercury
dime, after the defeat of fascism. However, the fasces symbol still exists
on the Senate dias.

Old June 13th 04, 01:33 PM
chopper

phil wrote:

Hence the reason many don't want to fool with changing the design of the
dime;the portrait on it transcends politics because of the universal nature
of what it represents,and its symbolic connection to that cause.
Even though I favor changing designs on circulating coinage,I feel that FDR
is befitting his place on the dime and should stay there,at least for now.
phil

your a real dick chick aren't you
you should go crawl under the rock you came from
Old June 13th 04, 06:57 PM
WinWinscenario

From: Denise

I say get rid of the polio strickened gimp. 58 years on the dime is
long enough.

Another compassionate conservative.

Regards,
Tom