What do you collect?

Old July 15th 03, 05:35 AM
\Bo\ Mathews

Default What do you collect?

OPA Red Point Ration tokens (close to a full set with LOTS of extras)
circulated cents 1909 - 1958 (the "wheaties" as my wife calls 'em)
canadian cents ( I keep finding them, so might as well do something
constructive with them)
pre-65 silver (though I really like dimes, and everything else is mainly
scratch for trade)
error coins
non US/Canadian
anything that catches my eye

Mostly, I like to buy rolls and pick through them. I also work at a bank
(for now), so I have the opportunity to look closer than most people. I
have found collecting is a pretty fun little hobby for me, and have
really appreciated the help I have goten here. Being without a lot of
readily available cash, I have concentrated on what I can collect
without spending a lot. Suprisingly, there is quite a bit!

Take Care

"Bo"
Old July 16th 03, 04:41 AM
\Bo\ Mathews

Ian,

The OPA red Point was a ration token used during WWII. They also came in
a blue color. Slightly smaller than a dime, they had OPA Red Point
stamped on them around the rim, and the number 1 in the middle with
small letters to either side. Try a search on it and you will find some
good info.
I received the start of my collection from a great aunt whose husband
was a Seabee in the South Pacific. I have almost a full set, and to me,
they are a reminder of why my grandmother's geberation is "The Greatest
Generation", and a reminder of the triumph of the humana spirirt in
adverse times.

"Bo"

Ian wrote:

What is an OPA Red Point Ration token? I haven't heard (or probably
seen) of one of those before.

Ian

Old July 18th 03, 10:14 PM
Vern McCrea

I collect just about anything dated from 1789 to 1815, the French
Revolution through the end of the First Empire. But like everyone I
have preferences:

1. Original medals, restrikes only as placeholders if they're cheap.
2. I'm building a coin collection by country, then by type, by year
and mint.
3. British Conder tokens and to a lesser extent the private silver of
the time.
4. Paper money and related emphemera. This can be tough outside of
France.
5. Contemporary books, especially numismatic literature.

I've got a good part of my collection online for those who are
interested at http://www.napoleonicmedals.org

Great question!

What do you collect? Stewart20fan Autographs 19 June 10th 04 06:19 PM
The Battle Of Those Who Collect Them Jerry Morris Books 5 December 13th 03 05:53 AM
What do you collect? James McCown Coins 0 July 12th 03 09:26 AM
What do you collect? Nick Knight Coins 1 July 12th 03 01:47 AM
What do you collect? Stujoe Coins 0 July 11th 03 11:40 PM