Book Preservation

Old October 29th 06, 05:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Ted Jones

Default Book Preservation

At last my ex-wife has delivered my copy of The "Book of Kells" Knopf
1974. As is often the case, books left in her hands have not fared
well. The slipcase has the fabric loosened. I like the book. The book is
not so valuable (probably $125 - $150) as to warrant a professional
restoration. Do you know of a benign adhesive I could apply that would
allow me to repair the book?
Old October 29th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter

Ted Jones wrote:

At last my ex-wife has delivered my copy of The "Book of Kells" Knopf
1974. As is often the case, books left in her hands have not fared
well. The slipcase has the fabric loosened. I like the book. The book is
not so valuable (probably $125 - $150) as to warrant a professional
restoration. Do you know of a benign adhesive I could apply that would
allow me to repair the book?

You need a pH neutral adhesive, such as PVA, Methyl Cellulose or Pure Wheat
Starch. Lineco sells all of these through local art stores (or online lineco.com)

You can also find book repair sites on the web for instructions on how best to
do this. E.g., http://www.dartmouth.edu/%7Epreserve...epairindex.htm

Francis A. Miniter
Old October 29th 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
RWF

Ted Jones wrote:
At last my ex-wife has delivered my copy of The "Book of Kells" Knopf
1974. As is often the case, books left in her hands have not fared
well. The slipcase has the fabric loosened. I like the book. The book is
not so valuable (probably $125 - $150) as to warrant a professional
restoration. Do you know of a benign adhesive I could apply that would
allow me to repair the book?

Gaffer tape - is there anything it can't do?
--
RWF

Old October 29th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
michael adams

"RWF" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ted Jones wrote:
At last my ex-wife has delivered my copy of The "Book of Kells" Knopf
1974. As is often the case, books left in her hands have not fared
well. The slipcase has the fabric loosened. I like the book. The book is
not so valuable (probably $125 - $150) as to warrant a professional
restoration. Do you know of a benign adhesive I could apply that would
allow me to repair the book?

Gaffer tape - is there anything it can't do?
--
RWF

By the looks of things, yes.

You'd probably manage to chew you way out, in the end.

michael adams

Old October 29th 06, 11:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Dave

On 29 Oct 2006 12:34:15 -0800, "RWF"
wrote:

Ted Jones wrote:
At last my ex-wife has delivered my copy of The "Book of Kells" Knopf
1974. As is often the case, books left in her hands have not fared
well. The slipcase has the fabric loosened. I like the book. The book is
not so valuable (probably $125 - $150) as to warrant a professional
restoration. Do you know of a benign adhesive I could apply that would
allow me to repair the book?

Gaffer tape - is there anything it can't do?

I am unclear, is the tape for the book or the ex?

Dave
Old October 29th 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Bob

"michael adams" wrote in message
By the looks of things, yes.

You'd probably manage to chew you way out, in the end.

Typically witless remark from the group's resident drooling cretin.

Old October 30th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
michael adams

"Bob" wrote in message
.. .

"michael adams" wrote in message

By the looks of things, yes.

You'd probably manage to chew you way out, in the end.

Typically witless remark from the group's resident drooling cretin.

I strive for originality, whereas you seem to be intent on simply
repeating yourself.

I don't know if you're a aware of this or not.

I quote -

Fri, Oct 27 2006 11:08 pm

Gaffer tape - is there anything it can't do? ;-o

--
RWF

Sun, Oct 29 2006 11:42 pm

Gaffer tape - is there anything it can't do?
--
RWF

Maybe you should have a word with someone about this, before
it gets more serious.

hth

michael adams

Old October 30th 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
RWF

Old October 30th 06, 12:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
michael adams

"RWF" wrote in message
oups.com...

michael adumbs wrote:

I strive for originality, whereas you seem to be intent on
simply repeating yourself.

Gaffer tape - is there anything it can't do?

It seems your longer term memory is still intact, then.

Which is some consolation, I suppose.

michael adams

Old October 31st 06, 04:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Ted Jones

RWF wrote:
Ted Jones wrote:
At last my ex-wife has delivered my copy of The "Book of Kells" Knopf
1974. As is often the case, books left in her hands have not fared
well. The slipcase has the fabric loosened. I like the book. The book is
not so valuable (probably $125 - $150) as to warrant a professional
restoration. Do you know of a benign adhesive I could apply that would
allow me to repair the book?

Gaffer tape - is there anything it can't do?
--
RWF

None that I know of. However, this application would require a tape that
reasonably blends with the olive green color of the book. I believe the
more pleasing tape would be" 100 mile an hour tape". The tape is
intended to patch holes (read bullet) in aircraft. Because the tape is
intended for military purposes, it has an olive green hue. This is not
dissimilar from the color of the book. However attractive it may be, I
doubt the description "carefully mended with "hundred mile an hour tape"
would thrill the hearts of prospective buyers when I have met my
inevitable demise.

While I acknowledge the elegance of "Gaffer's Tape" and "100 mile an
hour tape", I believe a less obvious repair would be preferable.