PLS HELP ~ CLEANING ESTATE FOUND OLD X-RATED BOOK

Old November 2nd 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Ted Jones

Default PLS HELP ~ CLEANING ESTATE FOUND OLD X-RATED BOOK

diana wrote:
Hello,

I'm a new member. Nice to meet everyone. I've been a book collector
since I was old enough to read and I'm not sure when that happened,
LOL. The reason I'm a book collector is because I've never been able
to part with my books, so I have an extensive library (the whole house,
lol). So now you know my house is well insulated and dusty as h, I've
got a dilemma I could use some help with.

My mom died on June 3rd and I've been cleaning up the estate. Among
some books, I found a paperback novel called "The Virgin and the
Veteran" by Richard Kyle. The bottom front cover says "The Sale of
this Book is Limited to Adults". Inside cover says, Number two of
fifty, (God Forbid!!). Also, Greenleaf Classics, Inc, 3511 Camino del
Rio South, San Diego, Calf 92120, Copyright 1969 by Greenleaf Classics.
The book is a novel with no pics. Basically, it's a story about a
Vietnam Vet that comes back from the war wounded and is released to his
sister where he proceeds to lust over her and finally rapes her. Over
time, he rapes her regularly getting nastier and nastier. Anyways,
that's about the first forty pages. I refuse to read any more. It's
graphically described, a fast read and will make your hair stand on end
(if you know what I mean).

This is my dilemma. Everything about me cannot destroy a book yet this
one is the kind that put's ideas in people's heads, so I want to rip it
apart. Since it belongs to the estate, I have a duty to it since it
may possibly be a rare book worth some money. I've run several
searches online and cannot find any reference to this book anywhere so
I can't establish a value for it.

Would love to read your comments about this. If anyone has info about
it, it would be appreciated.

Diana

I see your problem. you are required to exercise due diligence as
(presumably) administrator of the estate. If you have a lawyer, just
place it in his/her hands. Say you find it too disgusting to deal with
it yourself. The reason we hire lawyers is, disgusting is their stock in
trade.

Second option: Get a hot mail address and search purveyors of "Erotica"
through an anonymous search engine to find what they may pay.

Third option: Using nitrile gloves carefully wipe all fingerprints off
the book. Mail it to the Department of Justice, say it is the worst
filth you have ever seen and demand that the writer and publisher be
brought to justice.

I prefer option one or three. You would be off the hook with option one.
I also think option three has merit.

This is not a legal opinion. but just a way of getting you off the hook.
I am not qualified to issue legal opinions.
Old November 2nd 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]

On Nov 1, 9:53 am, "Steven" wrote:
that "Richard kyle" is not the Richard Kyle who was around writing
other stuff in 1969 (is that year really that long ago?) - or at least
he denied it was him. I've seen some articles about who this Kyle was
- but other than a SF writer, as most of the Greenleaf Classic writers
in the late 60s-early 70s were, i cant recall who it was.
You might ask on a SF list.

Curiosity inspired me to do an AddAll keyword
search for "Greenleaf Classic" and I came up
with 162 titles, but did not find the book in
question. It seems to be that Greenleaf
was pushing the envelope as far as what
could be legally sold in its day, although
they obviously published worthwhile things
also, such as an anthology of science fiction
containing a story by Philip K. Dick. Actually,
I doubt that that is much more in Greenleaf
that you don't find in steamy "romance' novels
of our day -- or even in "high class" trade sized
paperbacks. As to how "socially redeeming"
a typical Greenleaf title was, that is something
I will have to leave to the person who has waded
through their stuff. I somehow suspect that many
people seeking titillation would find Greenleaf
publications yawn-inspiring and not nearly as
shocking that what is sold over the counter
as "adult" vidio nowadays.

[From the upstairs office.]

steven rowe

Kris Baker wrote:
"diana" wrote in message
roups.com...
Hello,

Since it belongs to the estate, I have a duty to it since it
may possibly be a rare book worth some money. I've run several
searches online and cannot find any reference to this book anywhere so
I can't establish a value for it.

Would love to read your comments about this. If anyone has info about
it, it would be appreciated.

Diana

You're free to do with it, what you want. You could put it in the
trash pile, if you consider it garbage.

But I'd research the author and determine if they've published
anything else OR if they have an interesting history. Otherwise,
you have a piece of Greenleaf Classics (google them, too)
porn.

But your dilemma sounds more like an ad to me.

Kris

Kris- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Old November 3rd 06, 01:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jack Campin - bogus address

Get in your way-back machine and go to Germany c. 1935.
You'll be able to destroy all those nasty books in big bonfires!
You and Hitler could become great pals!

Hitler's book-burning was mostly symbolic and rather small-time.

There was a VASTLY bigger and not at all symbolic one just after
the reunification of Germany. East Germany had almost all of its
libraries in workplaces. When these workplaces were privatized,
the new owners simply destroyed the libraries as taking up space
that wasn't making money. The vast majority of the publicly-owned
book stock of the entire country was trashed in a few days. It
was probably the biggest act of cultural vandalism since the
Catholics destroyed the indigenous literature of central America.

I spoke to some East German teachers who'd tried to rescue something
when this was going on. All they could do was grab a few sackfuls
of books off the dump trucks as they were leaving the factory gates,
no chance to sort it, nowhere to take it except back to their own
apartments. It was simply heartbreaking.

Old November 3rd 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
michael adams

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
[...]

It's not just East Germany

quote

University library dumps rare books

Duncan Campbell
Saturday June 18, 2005
The Guardian

In his satire about a library, The Battle of the Books, Jonathan Swift
recounts that "a restless spirit haunts over every book till dust or
worms have seized upon it."
More than 300 years later, the library at a London university is having
its own battle with accusations of "book-burning" and "sacrilege" flying
through the air.

The Octagon library at Queen Mary, University of London, in Mile End,
east London, is in the process of refurbishment and decided that it would
have to dispose of its surplus books.

These have now been dumped in skips outside the library, to the outrage of
staff and students who were clambering through them yesterday to find what
they described as literary gems.
"This is a crass display of philistinism," said one staff member. "There are
books dating back to the 18th century, there are first editions, there are
copies of Voltaire."

Another lecturer looking through a skip said: "This is sacrilege. Look at
all these books that are being thrown away without any thought. It is
shocking."

One lecturer who preferred to remain anonymous said he found a book valued
at £80.

"This is appalling. They could have at least let everyone know what they
were planning to do.

"There are lots of second-hand books shops that would have liked to see
these before they get destroyed by the rain. They said they were only
throwing out books that no-one had taken out for 30 years, but that's a
ridiculous way to do it."

On the pile yesterday were copies of Gibbons's Decline and Fall, The Diary
of Lord Bertie of Thame 1914-18, as well as books from private libraries
which had been donated as bequests.

Many presented to the university from the library of Professor Sir Charles
Webster were among those abandoned.

"It's awful," said Tim Coates, the author, publisher and campaigner for
libraries.

"A library is a collection of books, it's not a building. Throwing out books
because you are having a refurishment is like moving house but saying I
won't bother taking my family with me."

Mr Coates said there had been many similar recent dumpings of books by
public libraries in Brighton, Liverpool and Hampshire. He said that with 300
public libraries in London, there should have been collaboration to find a
better home for the books than the bottom of a skip.

A spokesperson for the university said: "We had only a very short window to
remove a large quantity of books."

She said that academics at the university had been consulted and booksellers
had also been given an opportunity to buy.

"Nothing in sound physical condition, nothing unique has been thrown out,"
she said, although the university recognised that "a couple slipped through
the net". The university had acted to redeem these when it had been drawn to
their attention.

On a sunny afternoon on campus, curious students were busy with their own
excavations.

Some where cheerfully taking handfuls of well-bound hardback books. "It's a
great way of furnishing a flat," said one.

"In these books is wonderfully instilled the spirit of each warrior while he
is alive," wrote Swift, "and after his death, his soul transmigrates there
to inform them."

/quote

http://books.guardian.co.uk/news/art...509288,00.html

While in another well-publicised case, last year, Brighton Public Libraries
dumped large amounts of their old stock in skips.

michael adams

Jack Campin: 11 Third St, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Scotland | tel 0131 660

4760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/ for CD-ROMs and free | fax 0870 0554

975
stuff: Scottish music, food intolerance, & Mac logic fonts | mob 07800 739

557