Early Robinson Crusoe : Pirate Edition? : Help!

Old October 30th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
J Keen

Default Early Robinson Crusoe : Pirate Edition? : Help!

Hello,

I wonder if there is anyone who can help me identify this particular
edition of 'The Farther Adventures of Robinson Crusoe'.

Sadly the book is missing the map, title and last pages (#272) so
identification is a little tricky! The book was purchased from Ireland
a few years ago and is contained within an early Cambridge style 18th
century binding.

My research so far has yielded little. But I do now that there is a
pirated(?) edition printed at Dublin in 1719 with the same number of
pages! I know it is a long shot but could my copy be this edition? I
guess the only way to be sure is to look for known printing mistakes
for that edition, but sadly I have been unable to find anything of use
thus far.

The book contains a fairly crude loose frontispiece I assume from
volume one 'Robinson Crusoe' with the artist signature of 'James
Grim?'. Sadly I couldn't find any references to him on the net.

I know the book is not worth a great deal in this condition but it's
nice to think that this could very well be an early if not 1st edition
of the famous Defoe work.

I have posted some images of the book he
http://picasaweb.google.com/Iwanttot...therAdventures

Any help would be much appreciated.

JK

If you want to reply via email then please drop the 'X'
Old November 2nd 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jerry Morris

Dear JK,

You have done rather well in your own research. I believe you do have a
copy of the 1719 Dublin edition of "The Farther Adventures of Robinson
Crusoe." You are also correct in surmising that the loose frontispiece
is from Volume One and not Volume Two.

Where you might be wrong is in thinking the book is not worth a great
deal in the condition it is in. I can find no copies of the Dublin
edition listed for sale on the web. Moreover, the Beinecke Library at
Yale University is the only library listed on Worldcat as owning a copy.

I'm sure that an enterprising bookseller, or a university librarian
desiring the book for his or her library would be able to coordinate
with the Beinecke people at Yale in getting facsimiles of the missing
pages reproduced.

Here's a link to a short biography of Defoe's book. Your copy is number
2b in the listing:

http://pierre-marteau.com/library/e-1719-0027.html

Congrats on a great find!

best,