JAMES SPENCE BUSTED!!!!

Old November 19th 07, 09:05 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Sue H

Default JAMES SPENCE BUSTED!!!!

Fascinating. Hey, that reporter didn't do too bad at forging for the
first time eh? And they didn't ask questions, look up facsimiles;
nothing! That is why authentication is not the business to get into.
But again, even most of us could run a business doing that better
than them! Now that's pathetic.

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 12:01:27 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Nov 19, 1:53 pm, barefoot wrote:
and yes, sue is correct..no one is a true authenticator...i'm pretty
sure that you can have this exact same thing happen at any
authentication house...reguardless of conflicts of interest etc..it
could happen everywhere...psa dna has had high profile screw
ups...spence worked with psa when that happened. and he started psa
dna...
even having a true forensic investigator couldn't control the amounts
of stuff that goes through any one of these companies...

I posted a link so you can watch the story. If you watch, the
signatures aren't even close and he never really looks at the
autographs. Watch the video he
http://www.myfoxchicago.com/myfox/pa...d=1.1.1&sflg=1

Old November 20th 07, 07:45 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
barefoot

what it really shows is that anyone could be so stupid as to be
authenticating smaller people like sal bando, where no one cares and
his autograph has little or no value...it's spence's fault that he had
no exemplars, he shouldn't have authenticated the stuff and he
shouldn't have accepted the money. he should have said that he has no
exemplars and therefore couldn't authenticate it...and all the
authentication houses could've been caught just like this.. this one
just popped up on tv now...
it also shows a general fear that the collecting public has with
autographs in general. that everyone worries about authenticity to the
point as to ONLY trust an authenticators word, and not just he
dealer's any longer. in one sense, people should only be dealing with
people they KNOW and trust. but even that has proven fruitless. there
are people out there trusting forgers...

but the show really pounds home the point that you can't trust
anybody.

Old November 20th 07, 08:08 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Gummby3

Mike, while you actually made a post with great info, you again did one of the things that has been pointed out to you as grating. You did great until this:

"smaller people like sal bando, where no one cares and his autograph has little or no value"

Sal Bando: played professionally for 16 years (1966-1981) - the 2nd AL 3rd baseman to hit over 200 home runs (242) - played in over 2,000 games - and this is from someone that follows NL baseball, for the most part...

You are making an EXTREMELY broad comment as though it is gospel again. This is one of the main things that gets people not accepting your posts in any way.

Just a helpful suggestion in trying to help get this group get back to worth visiting again...

--

Mike
Gummby3

Old November 20th 07, 08:21 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
snothead

Hopefully this can turn into another war of words, I was getting tired
of people staying on topic and talking about autographs !!

snot

Old November 20th 07, 11:50 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
barefoot

he is a player whose autographs carry little or no value...
he was one of my dad's favorite players..
but he does shows for $5...which means his autograph carries little or
no value, and taking his autograph to anyone for authentication would
pretty much cost you more than the signature is worth...
i'm imagining that it's you folks who need to quit reading so much
into a comment and see the thing as a whole. there was no gospel
implied IN ANY WAY...you just want to see it that way. i'm imagining a
bunch of "glass is half empty" people...
i'm not starting an argument...just stating the obvious...there was a
whole thing here...
anyway, what's the point...i could have said a lot more...but it's
ludicruous to believe that anyone would regard anything else...
but it's pretty idiotic to see the "gospel" thing...just like the
thing when i asked simply "who's the cards certified by?"
i guess arguing with sue has had some effect...because i don't make
those comments, you just read them that way.

Old November 21st 07, 01:37 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Sue H

You are just nasty. and you state opinion as fact; that IS obnoxious.

Old November 21st 07, 01:47 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Gummby3

Chill. I'm simply making constructive criticism to try and help you meld more with group you claim to want to be a part of. There is no "half full" here at all. You, in fact, made the statement that "no one cared" as that it was a fact. Who are you to say what is of "no value"? How can someone NOT read something that? It is a blatant blanket statement. An item's value is ENTIRELY relative to that individual collector. A price guide and an "authenticator's" prices are nothing more than a recommended suggestion. Nothing more.

1) A true collector doesn't really care about the value of an item.
2) A true collector is more interested in the memories associated with the item.
3) A true collector would really only be interested in a value for insurance purposes.
4) A true collector knows that an item is ultimately only worth what the next person is willing to pay for it.

Listen. I simply made a friendly suggestion to help get this group out of the crapper and back to being something worth logging into again. I'm sorry that you are unable to take help when it's offered. I'm sorry that you have to lash out to someone trying to communicate with you civilly. I have never attacked you and, as I have previously stated, have gone out of my way to defend you on this group when you were attacked unnecessarily. It's apparent that trying to communicate with you civilly is not going to be easy. I'm sure that you have knowledge, but it's outside of the main consensus of this group, TTM & general autograph collecting, which causes arguments when you speak out of your realm of exact knowledge. You admit that you only get autographs for resell. Other than IP examples, you have no grounds of focus in regards to actually collecting the items as a hobby.

Before you come back, make sure that you have actually read this email and not skimmed over it. I have not bad-mouthed you in any way. I have not put you down. I have not accused you of anything. I fully expect to not have a retaliatory response to this and there was nothing to warrant it.

This group needs to get back to what it was created for: the discussion of COLLECTING autographs.

--

Mike
Gummby3

Old November 21st 07, 03:11 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
barefoot

actually. i have never stated that i get autographs JUSt for
resale...in fact...i'm pretty sure i have a larger collection than
just about every person here...but for only one reason, more
opporitunity.
and like i said, this arguing with sue must've gotten to people to
think that everytime i say something, there's ulterior (sp?)
motive...there really isn't.
i do agree with you that a totally true collector doesn't care about
value...it's mostly true. there are no memories associated with
purchasing an autograph. unless it's from a "i saw him play once" type
of memory and something that adds to the memory.
and i do understand that you were trying to keep up the "niceness"
factor, and i held my tongue..but like i said, if you had never seen
the arguments that me and sue have (she has no couth, she's a sour
person in general) you wouldn't have read the comment as mean, but
more as an example. it truly is a valueless autograph to use in this
type of arrangement (the jim spence getting busted thing) and to
further note that it was just an example, i put why. because every one
of the authentication houses woudn't have exemplars for what would
seem to be an unnecessary resource. i further went in that i would be
willing to bet that every authentication house would have been
"caught" in this instance because of the no exemplar thing. and i said
that because of this, spence's people should have just simply said "we
don't have an exemplar for this and can not authenticate this one way
or another." but been the good sport and given the people their money
back. but greed set in and they thought that it was a simple thing and
that because sal bando is a valueless autograph, no one would bother
to forge a $5 autograph.
but like i said, since i fight with sue (because i'm the only one who
will stand up to her controlling ass!!!) you stopped at the comment
thinking i'm trying to make a dig at someone. which i wasn't. and
that's where the problem lies.
sue's lied and argued with me so much, that it permeates on stuff that
is a REAL help or a really good item. i guess i should just stop
arguing with her lying ass...

i do apologize for whatever misgivings the posts have made at you, or
if you think i was making a dig at someone...but i really wasn't..and
i do appreciate your help and the positive comments.

Old November 21st 07, 03:16 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
snothead

This is honestly better than watching the 3 Stooges !!! Barefoot
swings a ladder hits Sue in the back while Gummby gets a bucket of
paint dumped on his head !!!

snot