GM-the best there is-what will your Honda be worth in 50 years ?

Old November 22nd 06, 12:11 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
jailhouserock

Default GM-the best there is-what will your Honda be worth in 50 years ?

will it be worth 17 GRAND ?? $$$$$$$$$$

doubtful...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=280048144307

Old November 22nd 06, 05:23 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

Default GM-the worst there is-people who buy cars to appreciate aren't buying cars ?

On 22 Nov 2006 04:11:00 -0800, "jailhouserock"
wrote:

will it be worth 17 GRAND ?? $$$$$$$$$$ snip

A '49 Olds "slant"...hardly a useful transportation machine at all.

Hey idiot! I just filled up my tank yesterday on my diesel. 51 MPG!
Old November 23rd 06, 02:07 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
jailhouserock

not to mention what Randy Williams' Pontiac collection went for at
Mecum Auction recently

not bad, considering the cars sold for $3000-5000 range when new !

Here's What they went for:

1963 Tempest Wagon Race Car
$ 74,550
1961 Ventura 389 SD
141,750
1962 Catalina 421 SD
246,750
1963 Catalina 421 SD (Last one Built)
299,250
1963 Catalina 421 SD (Swiss Cheese)
462,000
1963 Tempest Wagon (One of six, Last Known)
656,250

Old November 23rd 06, 05:18 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
William W Western

1963 Tempest Wagon Race Car
$ 74,550
1961 Ventura 389 SD
141,750
1962 Catalina 421 SD
246,750
1963 Catalina 421 SD (Last one Built)
299,250
1963 Catalina 421 SD (Swiss Cheese)
462,000
1963 Tempest Wagon (One of six, Last Known)
656,250

Now those are some pretty good returns on "investment". The
thing I find interesting is how each decade there is a bit of thought by
some that only previous decades will be sought after in later years. IE. in
the 60s folks looked back longingly on the 40s/50s as producing only
worthwhile cars. 60s models were obsolescent junk with no reason to ever
consider as classics some day. The wear and tear factor of automobiles means
that as the years go by only a few will remain. Making them interesting
because they are different from what is current (the basic powerplant of all
collectibles being nostalgia). What I like to do is to look over a decade
and imagine which models might be most desirable in later years. Currently
in the 90s, I like those Oldsmobile 98 Regency Elites and the Aurora's with
the V8s. Those Buick Roadmaster wagons will probably be eyecatching in 20
years.

Old November 23rd 06, 05:46 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

Default GM-the worst there is-the perfect car for a ****bag like Charlie Nudo ?

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 17:18:03 GMT, "William W Western"
wrote:

I like those Oldsmobile 98 Regency Elites and the Aurora's with
the V8s. snip

There's one for sale locally in near mint condition. No one will buy
it, thinking that it's an "orphan" car. Of course, all engine parts
can be had from Cadillac. The only bugaboo would be body and trim
parts, of which this example needs none. If I didn't despise GM so
much, and the M-body wasn't in tip-top shape, I might buy it for a
road car/collectable.

The Aurora was a "last gasp" by a mutton-headed GM management to save
the Olds marque. Olds, as a division of the company, ceased to exist
when Roger Smith ruined the GM model by destroying all divisional
management and structure, putting the beancounters on Woodward Ave. in
full control of things they shouldnt've have been controlling. As it
was, the Aurora was sort of a mixed bag..."borrowed" Cadillac
drivetrain, and basically an inflated (but very well appointed) GM
full size body borrowed from the Bonneville-88-LeSabre triplets.
Still, it harkens back to a day when Olds had performance and "glitz"
as their prime selling points before being turned into just another
rebadged Caprice, as it was in its final year in 1986. The only
distinguishable feature of that year's 88 and 98 was that it used a
very anemic, but real, 307 cu. in. Rocket V8, not a Chevy.

Those Buick Roadmaster wagons will probably be eyecatching in 20
years. snip

With the big mouth, á la the '54 Buicks? All they were were rebadged
Chevy wagons, with even the Chevy engines.

Old November 24th 06, 04:07 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
William W Western

With the big mouth, á la the '54 Buicks? All they were were rebadged
Chevy wagons, with even the Chevy engines.

But Roadmaster has a pretty cool sound to it.

Old November 24th 06, 04:40 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 04:07:57 GMT, "William W Western"
wrote:

But Roadmaster has a pretty cool sound to it. snip

Back when the "Roadmaster" name was being used by Buick, Chevy was
using "Fleetmaster" and "Stylemaster". Seem Al Sloan had a thing
about "master" names at the time. The "Roadmaster" name after being
resuscitated for the "Chevrobuicks" of the '90s didn't last very long.
One good thing...at least they used a halfway efficient automatic
transmission! Those "Dynaflushes" of old were incredibly bad
engineering.

The Roadmaster of the '50s shared the sedan and hardtop bodies with
Cadillac, the only other marque to do so. Olds had the "junior" body
used for Buick's Special for even its top-of-the-line 98, while the
Buick Super and Century also shared the Cadillac body. This lasted
until 1961, when Buick downgraded its senior models to the same body
shell as used by Pontiac and Oldsmobile, thus ushering in the "B-O-P"
car era. Previous to this, Pontiac Division shared body shells with
low-ball brand Chevrolet, and by the middle '60s, all GM cars except
Cadillac were all using the same cookie cutter body shells.
Old November 24th 06, 12:18 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
jailhouserock

Default GM-the best there is

William W Western wrote:
With the big mouth, á la the '54 Buicks? All they were were rebadged
Chevy wagons, with even the Chevy engines.

But Roadmaster has a pretty cool sound to it.

agreed- and the only people that put them down, are people that could
never afford them

Old November 24th 06, 07:30 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
jailhouserock

Default DeserTBoob and the Unaffordables...

(sung to the melody of the Beach Boys song "409")

78 Honda
78 Honda
nobody drives it
nobody wants it
giddyup 78 Honda

I've Had Two 1995-W's That I Bought Ten Years Ago And Had NO IDEA What They Were Worth [email protected] Coins 4 November 22nd 06 12:51 AM
WBCC Newsflash 139, September 14, 2006 Martin Peeters, NETHERLANDS, Focal Point of the Worldwide Bi-metallic Collectors Club \(WBCC\) Coins 0 September 14th 06 07:05 PM
FS: "150 Years Of Canadian Baseball 1838-1988" Souvenir Commemorative Issue [email protected] Baseball 0 June 15th 06 11:17 AM
Five Years of Olive Oil Fletch Coins 12 June 3rd 06 06:18 AM
Will todays coins be worth anything 100 yrs from now?? The Space Boss Coins 24 May 10th 06 11:38 AM