Excessive asking price

Old April 7th 07, 10:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
noteworthy

Default Excessive asking price

Wonder how much the two offers are for. These set sell for less than
$100 and often sell for as little as $20.

Buy now bargain at $7999 - yeah right!

http://cgi.ebay.com/FULL-SET-ORIGINA...QQcmdZViewItem

Old April 7th 07, 03:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Owen W. Linzmayer

Instead of criticizing a seller's excessive price, why not help interested
parties by educating everyone on where they might be able to purchase an UNC
set of these euro specimens for $20 to $100 as you say is possible?

On 4/7/07 2:43 AM, in article
, "noteworthy"
wrote:

Wonder how much the two offers are for. These set sell for less than
$100 and often sell for as little as $20.

Buy now bargain at $7999 - yeah right!

http://cgi.ebay.com/FULL-SET-ORIGINA...RARE_W0QQitemZ
230112160550QQihZ013QQcategoryZ3173QQrdZ1QQcmdZVie wItem

Old April 7th 07, 09:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
note.boy

It might be that these specimen notes are no more than scans of
illustrations from a brochure or magazine illustration and nothing more.

How could someone in Ukraine get hold of such notes if genuine?

Or are these specimen notes easy to obtain? Billy

Old April 8th 07, 09:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
noteworthy

On Apr 8, 2:43 am, "Owen W. Linzmayer" wrote:
Instead of criticizing a seller's excessive price, why not help interested
parties by educating everyone on where they might be able to purchase an UNC
set of these euro specimens for $20 to $100 as you say is possible?

http://search.ebay.com/euro-specimen_W0QQfromZR40

There are several listed for around $20
Lots of numismatic dealers have them available as well.

On 4/7/07 2:43 AM, in article
. com, "noteworthy"

wrote:
Wonder how much the two offers are for. These set sell for less than
$100 and often sell for as little as $20.

Buy now bargain at $7999 - yeah right!

http://cgi.ebay.com/FULL-SET-ORIGINA...ES-EXTRA-RARE_...
230112160550QQihZ013QQcategoryZ3173QQrdZ1QQcmdZVie wItem

Old April 8th 07, 01:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
chaox01

I think this one does look like real specimen. This one has vertical
foil strip on the right, and all zero serial number. The others,
selling for less, don't have vertical foil strips. Morris Lawing sells
such a set for $9.95. He calls the set "model" rather than specimen.
http://www.banknoteworld.com/dealerl...ains_page3.htm

Old April 11th 07, 04:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Giovanni C. Pettinaro

Hi, I looked at this auction that you pointed out. I do not know if they
are the original ones as the seller claims, but if they are, then they
are worth about 10,000 euros!!! All true original euro specimens are
made of the following notes:
5 euro series V,
10 euro series X
20 euro series Z
50 euros series X
100 euros series S
200 euro series P
500 euro series S
They are all numbered on the front, as they were not intended for normal
circulation.
I think that the specimen for US$20 that you mentioned are not the real
object of discussion!!! They were private issues made for tests by a
German Bank. Thus, do not confuse the two things. After all, if you do
want a real "Picasso" you should pay for as much it is worth. You cannot
hope to find these notes in an Easter egg, unless you are a
millionaire!!! :-)

Best regards,
Dr. Giovanni C. Pettinaro
(IBNS LM-166, LANSA 1173).

Old April 11th 07, 07:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Sibirskmoneta

"noteworthy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Wonder how much the two offers are for. These set sell for less than
$100 and often sell for as little as $20.

Buy now bargain at $7999 - yeah right!

http://cgi.ebay.com/FULL-SET-ORIGINA...QQcmdZViewItem

You can all say what you want, this guy seems to buy a lot of specimens etc
as his feedback suggest, but then look at the very problematic feedback from
his buyers, and all the bright red flags flutter wildly in the proverbial
winds.

Old April 11th 07, 07:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Owen W. Linzmayer

Default Excessive asking price for euro specimens

Dear Giovanni,

How can one tell the difference between the "real" specimens and the private
issue test ones?

Old April 11th 07, 08:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Giovanni C. Pettinaro

Hello Owen,
I think you mean the specimen test notes of $20 value which are
sold by several dealers in America. Well, those are real fakes since
there's no engraving and they do not bear any characteristics of the
"real" euro notes. The REAL specimens are perfect euro notes, that is,
they have all the features of the real money. The only difference is the
fact they have overprinted specimen over them and they are numbered on
the front. The series codes are those that I listed in my previous
posting and they all bear Duisenberg's signature. The valuations by
single specimen note are as follows (conservative evaluations: they are
worth more):
5 euro specimen V is worth about 600 euro
10 euro specimen X is worth about 650 euro
20 euro specimen Z is worth about 700 euro
50 euro specimen X is worth about 750 euro
100 euro specimen S is worth about 880 euro
200 euro specimen P is worth about 900 euro
500 euro specimen S is worth about 980 euro
As a complete set, they are worth in the range of 9800-10000 euros.
I hope this information helps. As I said, I do not know if that seller
is auctioning the real stuff, but the price seems to be indicating that
they are, however I wonder how much eBay gets out of a possible sale of
that amount. I think for this kind of notes, it is more suitable a real
Auction House like Spinks, Christies', or similar. I would not sell on
eBay those type of notes, thus before bidding, I advise anybody
interested in getting some sort of guarantee from the seller, to avoid
bad surprises!!!

Best regards,
Dr. Giovanni C. Pettinaro.