Best capacity: converter or cartridge?

Old June 27th 05, 05:32 AM
JChapman

Default Best capacity: converter or cartridge?

Not sure if this has been touched on before but I'm dying to find out
which modern ink system holds more ink. Never mind the arguments about
landfill versus ease-of-use or how ink usage mileage may vary depending
on your pressure and type of paper. I've been all over the web and
can't get accurate milliliter measurements to answer this question.

I understand there's differences between antique and modern pens as
well as between manufacturers. I'd like to restrict discussion on this
topic to modern refill options since I'm considering picking up a new,
every day pen (in the $50 range).

Thanks much!

JC

Old June 27th 05, 05:02 PM
Nancy Handy

JChapman wrote:
Not sure if this has been touched on before but I'm dying to find out
which modern ink system holds more ink.

Eyedropper holds more than both converter or cartridge because you get
use of the whole barrel.

Of the two you mentioned, the cartridge holds more. Have you ever
looked at a converter? The piston rod takes up a lot of space inside
the pen barrel, space that the cartridge would use. That's why I choose
to refill my cartridges with a syringe.

If you want a cartridge that takes up most of the barrel, look at the
longer cartridges like those made by Sheaffer or the long Waterman ones.
There's a few different sized cartridges made by different manufactures.
They're not all the same.

Nancy
Old June 28th 05, 02:31 AM
john cline ii

"Nancy Handy," being helpful, wrote in part:

| Of the two you mentioned, the cartridge holds more. Have you ever
| looked at a converter? The piston rod takes up a lot of space inside
| the pen barrel, space that the cartridge would use. That's why I
choose
| to refill my cartridges with a syringe.

Hmmm. My Sheaffer converters don't have pistons, or at least my older
ones don't. Same for my Parker converters, They are what is called
aerometric, and have a rubber bladder inside a metal casing, and a
squeeze bar to depress....I wouldn't be a bit surprised if these held
more than their corresponding cartridge brethren....

john cline ii, musing...

Old June 28th 05, 05:17 AM
mz

wrote:

Not sure if this has been touched on before but I'm dying to find out
which modern ink system holds more ink. Never mind the arguments about
landfill versus ease-of-use or how ink usage mileage may vary depending
on your pressure and type of paper. I've been all over the web and
can't get accurate milliliter measurements to answer this question.

I understand there's differences between antique and modern pens as
well as between manufacturers. I'd like to restrict discussion on this
topic to modern refill options since I'm considering picking up a new,
every day pen (in the $50 range).

Thanks much!

JC

Mountblanc 149

Au contraire, mon frere. Having both, I can attest the Pelikan Level
65 holds much more ink than the MB 149. It's possible the Level 65
even holds more than most modern eye-drop fillers. The nice things
about the 65 are the very reasonable price, the smooth Pelikan nibs,
and none of that precious resin to worry about.

The MB 149 won't even come close to costing $50 unless it's broken,
stolen, or a knock off. If memory serves, I paid around $20/pen,
shipping included, for an order of three Level 65s.

HTH,
Mark Z.
Old June 28th 05, 07:58 PM
Bluesea

"JChapman" wrote in message
oups.com...
Not sure if this has been touched on before but I'm dying to find out
which modern ink system holds more ink. Never mind the arguments about
landfill versus ease-of-use or how ink usage mileage may vary depending
on your pressure and type of paper. I've been all over the web and
can't get accurate milliliter measurements to answer this question.

I understand there's differences between antique and modern pens as
well as between manufacturers. I'd like to restrict discussion on this
topic to modern refill options since I'm considering picking up a new,
every day pen (in the $50 range).

In my experience, Parker and long international or Waterman cartridges
contain more ink, but it really depends on the pen so, you'll have to
compare the cartridges and converters for each pen you consider buying.
(While a manufacturer's pens may all take the same cartridge, not all
converters have the same capacity). Typically, grip comfort, balance, and
nib feel determine whether or not a pen becomes a favorite or gets left in a
drawer more than does ink capacity.

FWIW, I measured the capacity when I refilled a Parker cartridge at the
beginning of this month and the main section held 1.5mm + you've got
whatever the reserve section holds (I didn't have to refill the reserve).

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old August 2nd 05, 08:09 AM
Free Citizen

"R. Paul Martin" wrote in message

[snip]

What size syringe and hollow needle are you using to refill your
cartridges? I've been thinking that maybe the 19 gauge needles I
bought are just a bit too wide for convenient refilling.

Hi,

I do it all the time. My syringes are of 5ml and 3ml capacities. Bought them
at the pharmacy. The needle is a little trickier to get but I use expended
ones from inkjet printer refill kits.

--
T-H Lim

Georgetown, Penang