Lucky Find in Coins Rolls from the Bank

Old February 13th 05, 06:56 AM
Doc

Not old compared to your Bust Quarter. :-)
Aram.

**smile**
No...not old compare to THAT.
Just checked - my OLDEST is actually a Draped Bust Type Half Cent -
1806 (large 6, stems), again we are looking at AG3 (but at least this
one doesn't have any plugged holes in it). Just think - next year it
will have its 200th mintday. Compared to that a 1955 Jefferson is a
baby ;-) I'd love to have a 17XX coin but I think that even in my
favorite grades (damaged AG3) I don't think they come in my price range
($10)

Doc
(Whose US type/variety collection just acquired a Liberty Seated Dime,
Variety 3 - I'd state the date but your guess is as good as mine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWN:IT
Think there's an O mint mark in that mess on the back? if so I could
narrow it to 1853 or 1854, I'd bet '53 due to that crescent of extra
metal at the inferior edge of the plug)

Old February 13th 05, 11:50 AM
Alan Williams

Doc wrote:

As noone answered my question directly -- can I take from the context
of this that Type I means NOT silver containing (75% Cu/25% Ni) and
Type II means Wartime Alloy (35% Ag)? So 1942 is the only year when
both were minted - 1942nomintmark & 1942D = Type I, and 1942P & 1942S =
Type II.

Doc
(Whose date/mintmark collection of Jeffersons is complete since a
forturnate garage sale find last June, but who is always willing to buy
War Nicks for a quarter and pulls pre 1955s from pocket change just
cause they are old)

Ah, Lazarus! Those are beautiful words!

Alan
'say hello to Pallas Athena for me'
Old February 13th 05, 12:06 PM
Aram H. Haroutunian

On 12 Feb 2005 22:56:05 -0800, "Doc" wrote:

[...]

================

I LOVE coins like that. When I can see what no one else can see and I
can tell which die marriage is involved even though others wonder just
what kind of coin I am looking at- now, THAT's fun.
Aram.
Old February 13th 05, 07:39 PM
Doc

Athene is glad to be remembered and sends a "hello" back in your
direction, and invites you for dinner on Secundus, any requests?

Actually, Lazarus is my "uncle/grandfather" - he pretends to be upset
when I am mistaken for him but is secretly flattered. I've been
pressing him for some additional info regarding the former location of
a certain 1916 privy in Dade County. A $20 dollar gold piece...even
though "counterfeit" by definition would be an excellent addition to my
collection.

(for anyone else reading this who doesn't get the reference - I am NOT
advocating the creation of counterfeit coins - this particular
"restored replication of originals in the Museum of Ancient History in
New Rome" was/will be made in the year 2072 Diaspora, or 4291 Gregorian
- or over 2000 years in the future)

Doc
(Whose collection is no rival for Zeb's - "assets equal to one pro-rata
share of the capital sum of the trust")

Old February 13th 05, 07:52 PM
Doc

Yes, it IS fun! One of the reasons why coin collecting is such a grand
hobby. Your collections can be fine tuned to your
budget/interests/time/etc. Getting the mail and squeaking with glee I
will show off my most recent acquisition to which my spouse will often
have to ask "What is it that I am looking at?" - preferring items with
more tangible value - say a 1 oz gold Krugerrand. And while I can see
the attraction - I can buy a WHOLE lot of plugged AG3s for my
type/variety collection for the cost of ONE of those. To each his
own...

Doc
(Whose favorite "modern" US coin is the Franklin Half - in junk grades)

Old February 13th 05, 08:11 PM
Alan Williams

Doc wrote:

[...]

As established in one of my RCC surveys 2 or 3 years ago, you are not
likely to be barking up the wrong tree in RCC. ;-) Howard Families and
so forth are a strong subset interest of coin collectors who named
'Comedies' and Sci-Fi as their two favorite movie genres and Sci-Fi as
the single greatest 'other interest'.

Indicating, of course, that we would welcome a Mr. Spock commemorative coin.

Alan
'let Canada do Shatner'
Old February 13th 05, 10:45 PM
Gary Jordan

Yeah I found a 1955 Jefferson Nickle in change. I know I dont post here
much. But thought I would mention it since you're all talking about
Jefferson Nickles! Only 8,266,200 minted that year in Philadephia.
Anyone wants too see a list of my none wheat back coins let me know and
ill post them on here!

Old February 14th 05, 04:34 PM
Jerry Dennis

=
Type II.

Doc
(Whose date/mintmark collection of Jeffersons is complete since a
forturnate garage sale find last June, but who is always willing to

buy
War Nicks for a quarter and pulls pre 1955s from pocket change just
cause they are old)

I missed RCC yesterday, which is why I didn't answer sooner. The 1942
Jefferson from Philadelphia was struck in two varieties. Type I is the
Cu/Ni with no mint mark. The Type II is the 35% silver variety with
the large P above Monticello. The 1942-D and 1942-S are not considered
in the varieties as the D mints are Cu/Ni,1942-S are silver.

Jerry

Old February 14th 05, 07:29 PM
Doc

Thank you for your informative reply!

Doc
(Whose circulated Jefferson collection IS complete - I was worried
there for a second)

FYI: ASA-Accugrade files new suit in US District Court linxlvr Coins 207 January 31st 05 03:15 AM
Getting started with ancient coins - periodic post Reid Goldsborough Coins 8 April 9th 04 12:15 PM
Bank wrapped rolls Bill Krummel Coins 11 August 12th 03 02:03 AM
Help on telling repro Linda Coins 11 July 30th 03 02:03 AM