TECH: Rowe-AMI jukebox forgetting selections

Old September 10th 03, 02:02 PM
BigBub

Default TECH: Rowe-AMI jukebox forgetting selections

Hello,

Hopefully someone can help me figure this problem out. I don't have
much experience with jukeboxes, mine has always worked fine. But it
just started acting wierd. It is not playing selections that I make.

Example: If it isn't playing anything and I walk up and pick
selection 173, it will just sit there. But if I pick 173 again, it
starts playing. And if you pick multiple songs. It might play 1 or 2
of them, but it forgets the rest and never plays them.

Any ideas.

I think the model is a 89, I will have to look tonight to be sure.

Thanks,

Jeremie
Old September 11th 03, 01:58 AM
TMcderm653

Check the battery in the computer control center. It will probably have a nicad
3V battery if this is bad it will cause your juke to do all kinds of wierd
things. Also if your popularity meter is getting full it can cause problems,
you clear this on the control board, can't remember what it says on the board
but there is a hole that you have to insert a pen or something simular to push
the reset button.

Good Luck
Old September 11th 03, 03:41 AM
ThomasTeeter

Start by replacing the battery in the CCC- that is a likely culprit
for the "forgetting" selections. Besides which, it is probably the
original and aside from having lived its useful life, you will avoid
battery corrosion on your board. I'm not sure about it not playing the
first selection you make, but while you have it out check the CCC for
cold solder joints that might be one cause. Are any error messages
displayed when you power the jukebox up?

Thomas
thomasteeter(at)budweiser.com

Old September 11th 03, 02:01 PM
BigBub

Great, thanks for the help guys. I will take a look at the battery
tonight. I tried the reset button already and that didn't help. No,
there are no error messages. It just sits there and does nothing when
you pick a song, but when you pick it again it starts playing. I'll
check the battery tonight and see what I come up with.

Thanks again,

Jeremie

Old September 12th 03, 01:45 AM
KLR

On 10 Sep 2003 06:02:44 -0700, (BigBub) wrote:

Hello,

Hopefully someone can help me figure this problem out. I don't have
much experience with jukeboxes, mine has always worked fine. But it
just started acting wierd. It is not playing selections that I make.

Example: If it isn't playing anything and I walk up and pick
selection 173, it will just sit there. But if I pick 173 again, it
starts playing. And if you pick multiple songs. It might play 1 or 2
of them, but it forgets the rest and never plays them.

Any ideas.

I think the model is a 89, I will have to look tonight to be sure.

Thanks,

Jeremie

Let us know the model number as there are 2 different CCC designs.
The R-88 could have either type but the R89 onwards were on a smaller
board.

On the older board they used 5101 CMOS ram chips (2 of) One or both
should be replaced if you are getting such problems. The newer board
used 6116 ram if I remember correctly. These have never given me
problems - but there is always a first time for everything.

Finally - for some reason on my R-88 - when you made a selection the
machine would occasionally sit and do nothing for some time before
deciding to rotate the rack and start looking for it and playing it.
I cant remember precisely how long - but it might have been 20 seconds
or so. I never had any complaints from the locations that it was on
about it missing selections etc though.

(do the battery change and clear memory first of course)

Either case - the batteries should be changed. The machine could be
up to 20 years old now - and no battery will last that long.
Old September 12th 03, 03:00 AM
BigBub

Well, I found the battery, but I can't find a replacement for it on
the internet. It says it's a GE Goldtop Datasentry 2.4V Model DS2G7,
not sure on the 7, it's hard to read. Where do most people go for
replacements for these. And if it matters, it's a r-87.

Thanks for the help,

Jeremie

Old September 12th 03, 05:31 AM
John Robertson

If you have any battery leakage I have a bit of info on dealing with
that at www.flippers.com/battery.html

John :-#)#

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 00:45:43 GMT, KLR wrote:

[...]

(Please post followups or tech enquires to the newsgroup)
www.flippers.com

Old September 12th 03, 01:51 PM
KLR

On 12 Sep 2003 03:26:21 -0700, (BigBub) wrote:

Is "2 AA Nicads" just regular AA batteries. I happen to have a dual
AA battery holder with leads laying around the house. I needed one
for something else and they were only sold in packs of 2 at the
electronics store. Or should I just get the "super cap". Would this
be it at Digikey...

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/us/dk...223&Row=250709

page will not work.

If its around 0.5 F (NOT UF) or more and 5v or so - it will work fine

The cap will not ever leak and will last longer. I did most of ours
10 years ago and they didnt fail.

the only case in which it might be a problem is if you have the
machine turned off for weeks or months it may lose its memory
in the ROWE juke you have though - this isn't really a problem if you
dont mind having the popularity meter not working.

It's $7 plus shipping, but I would rather do whatever is best.

Thanks again,

Jeremie

KLR wrote in message . ..
On 11 Sep 2003 19:00:57 -0700, (BigBub) wrote:

Well, I found the battery, but I can't find a replacement for it on
the internet. It says it's a GE Goldtop Datasentry 2.4V Model DS2G7,
not sure on the 7, it's hard to read. Where do most people go for
replacements for these. And if it matters, it's a r-87.

Thanks for the help,

Jeremie

Has it leaked everywhere yet ? This sounds like the original battery
that was supplied new with the machine.

if its 2.4v - you can use 2 AA nicads in series - in most of ours we
just used a "super cap" (ie: 1 farad 5v capacitor that is designed
specifically for this sort of application)

if you use any sort of battery - I would advise strongly that you
mount it outside the case and on leads. This will prevent damage to
the PCB and circuitry when the battery ultimately fails and leaks in
the future