Conversation? Gemstone Treasures

Old February 11th 05, 09:04 PM
B and B

Default Conversation? Gemstone Treasures

Got this information/solicitation from my distributor, and I can hardly
believe it..Thought it would be fun read other nonsport card collector's

Gemstone Treasures
(SRP-$14.95 pk) =A0
"A brand new revolutionary product! Try
to imagine opening a pack of cards for
$15.00 and getting an Emerald, Ruby,
Diamond ring or even a 1.0-carat
gemstone on a 14Kt gold or silver chain.
In this fantastic new release you can!
Each pack is guaranteed to contain an
actual quality gem in a special
collectable holder =96 almost everything is
=BD carat or larger. Plus you might find
jewelry, matched sets or other great
pieces! So Hot!

=A0Gemstone Treasures Hobby Box
1 Fabulous Gemstone in every pack
8 Packs per box
18 different gemstones in series 1"

plus there's info. on subsets., and a list of the 'gemstones". Not
gonna post it unless someone asks..

To me this seems alot like playing the lottery...buy 1 pack for $15, see
if you can win something worth alot more..

I suppose if we had a brick 'n mortar store, I might invest in a box (8
packs), just to see what customers did with it!
But geesh!!

Ok....anyone else have some thoughts to share?

Byrna
B&B Grrrl AF & Cards

Old February 11th 05, 11:19 PM
Joanna Kohlbus

You know, I read about these in the last issue of Non-Sport Update and found
myself scratching my head. Maybe it's just me, but these aren't trading
*cards* it's more like the thing at some amusement parks where you pick the
oyster and maybe get a cheap pearl or maybe get a nice pearl. But, at least
it's different.

"B and B" wrote in message
Got this information/solicitation from my distributor, and I can hardly
believe it..Thought it would be fun read other nonsport card collector's

Gemstone Treasures
(SRP-$14.95 pk)
"A brand new revolutionary product! Try
to imagine opening a pack of cards for
$15.00 and getting an Emerald, Ruby,
Diamond ring or even a 1.0-carat
gemstone on a 14Kt gold or silver chain.
In this fantastic new release you can!
Each pack is guaranteed to contain an
actual quality gem in a special
collectable holder - almost everything is
½ carat or larger. Plus you might find

Old February 12th 05, 02:25 AM
Beamer

Byrna & Bev,
Do you know who is doing this project? It is none other than Dino from
Dart Flipcards and he will be at Philly with a display of his new cards.
Actually, I think they are really interesting. If you consider the
fact that regular non sport cards are just paper and for the most part
have no value other than the value collectors put on them. These jewel
cards have an actual legitimate value and even at the minimum, you are
getting you money's worth. And if you are really lucky, you might get a
really valuable stone. Hey, don't we always say that we need new blood
and ideas to keep this hobby alive? Lets not rule this out without
giving it a chance. I welcome anything different that will fire up this
slowly dying hobby...
See you at Philly!!!!
Michael Beam

Old February 12th 05, 03:34 PM
B and B

Well, now that Joanna mentioned the article in NonSport Update magazine
(Feb/Mar)..I went and read the article.
Yes, I'm a bit behind in my offline reading.

Do wish other folks would continue the conversation though...this is a
really radical addition to nonsport cards.

Thanks Beamer for your comments..before I read the NSU article I was not
aware of who was manufacturing/releasing these..

The pictures (in NSU) are pretty tantalizing..and the description of how
the cards are made/put together and packaged certainly makes them sound
"collectible" & 'tradable'....And I'll be glad to see them 'live' at the
April Philly NonSport Show.

I suppose what keeps gnawing at me is the innate contradiction between
nonsport cards being a fun hobby and not a financial investment
instrument...and these cards more obviously appealing to the 'wow, what
is it worth' kind of thinking.

But I will reserve my judgement until I see the cards..they may after
all be a very interesting and beautiful set to collect
And there's always room for the unusual to spring forth successfully in
our hobby.

Byrna

Old February 13th 05, 04:26 PM
Beamer

Hi Byrna,

It would be nice if we all had open minds to new things. Some people
are more skeptical than others. But in the long run, a new and
refreshing item or collectible ( what ever you wish to call it ) may be
just the thing to help fire up our tired hobby. Even though there are
still many of us that are devout non sport card collectors, the hobby
has weakened over the last 5 years and it is slowly slipping into a void
that there may be no return from. So lets all get new people invloved
and even if some of us don't like the "new & improved", maybe some will.
We can't all buy the same thing year after year without giving others
a chance.
Michael

Old February 26th 05, 12:54 AM
Daphnedi

Howdy all,
I am new here and just couldn't resist giving my 2 cents worth on this
subject.
I got my first 2 boxes of Gemstone Treasures for Valentine’s Day and they
are real gems I can't wait until my birthday ) !!!
I have been collecting trading cards for ages and really enjoy the hobby
but these are the first cards I can wear around my neck and enjoy.
Opening the packs is like Las Vegas - I couldn't get enough.

I know the hardcore nonsports collectors are going to boo and hiss, but
give it a break boys - this one is for us girls. UPS - now I hear all of
the feminists booing and hissing.

I can only say I think these cards are great and a lot of fun. I just wish
they had a nice box or binder for them.
Try it you’ll like it !!

Old February 26th 05, 04:38 PM
Bill DeFranzo

I'm trying hard to see the difference between Gemstone Treasures and current
offerings from Inkworks, Rittenhouse etc. (Aside from the price point). If I
buy a pack of Buffy cards for $2.49 it's not because I hope to catch 6
common cards! Just about every trading card product today has a price point
suggesting that people are hoping to "luck out". I am no legal scholar but I
see legal action as a potential threat to the hobby at-large if some
politician wants to make a case that the trading card industry is engaging
in an illegal lottery. The cost of litigation alone could drive most card
producers out of business.

"B and B" wrote in message
Got this information/solicitation from my distributor, and I can hardly
believe it..Thought it would be fun read other nonsport card collector's

Non-ST Cards for Sale! Lynne Stewart Cards:- non-sport 0 September 27th 04 01:52 AM
Non Sport Cards for Sale from many different Sellers Lynne Stewart Cards:- non-sport 0 September 16th 04 01:24 PM
Catalog numbers for MARY CASSATT 37c American Treasures Issue of 2003? DARY US Stamps 0 February 6th 04 02:51 AM
Randy Johnson Wantlist BJBSUE Baseball 0 October 13th 03 12:00 AM
GEMSTONE JEWELLERY... IDEAL FOR RE-SALE OR PRESENTS MOST NIB. Herosemineral General 0 October 9th 03 10:55 AM