Trading vs eBay

Old November 16th 04, 06:33 PM
MIKZCARDZ

Default Trading vs eBay

DAYK touched on this topic.

I am as guilty as the next collector (maybe not all of them) when it comes to
trading or just looking for the best deal on eBay.

Classic example: I once turned down a trade for a Superman Doomsday Insert that
was listed in the NSU price guide for what I considered to be an over-inflated
price and just waited until I purchased it on eBay for 1/3 of the NSU book
value including the shipping/handling cost.

This makes trading VERY difficult at times. Does anyone else agree?

Once again, I feel that the frequently (almost universally) used NSU price
guide is way off-base. Maybe someday, they will take into account average eBay
sale prices. That's where the money is being spent today. I for one, would feel
more like trading my cards to someone else in a more level paying field so to
speak. This should also apply to common singles. Promo items also do not get a
fair shake. Don't get me wrong -- I actually READ the articles and enjoy my NSU
as soon as it arrives in my mailbox. They are doing a great job as the Premier
NonSport Card Publication.

Mike Surratt
www.mikzcardz.com

Old November 16th 04, 08:38 PM
NobleGB

Now mike what are you suggesting? You post was a little confusing to me - are
you saying that NSU prices are too high? and that Ebay prices are lower??
This might be so for regular modern nonsports - but I can assure you that for
Older tobacco cards, 30s/40s gum cards and other such early material, NSU price
Guide is VERY low compared to the prices you see being realized on Ebay. If I
asked at my table the high prices that items sell for on Ebay in the tobacco
card area, my customers would laugh in my face or call me a shark.......yet
they will happily go home and pay those prices on Ebay - go figure!! With
regards to trading.......when one just wanted to complete a set, and there was
no breakdown of scarcer cards, and most cards in a series were valued the same
- one could trade cards - now one still does, except the wanter "trades" money
for the card he wants from a dealer or eBay.

I'm nicely suprised at teh amount of posts and discussion that has been
generated by the last Secaucus show - maybe some good may come of it.

But collectors - SUPPORT your local speciality shows - if you don't then the
spiral down will begin.

Dave Grimes
Check out my WEB Page at
http://members.aol.com/noblegb/page/text.html

Old November 16th 04, 09:08 PM
Lynne Stewart

The big problem with trading is, as you say, the scarcity issue. Let's say I
have a TOSQ Spock auto card, I can sell it in a snap. Someone wanting to
trade me the Spock for $200 worth of low end inserts is going to hit a wall
cause it will take me forever to move it, if I don't already have multiple
copies already.
People like to trade cause it's one on one. There is interaction and
communication.
That can be accomplished in sales if both parties want it. I find a majority
of Ebay sellers and buyer want the quick sale/payment/shipping without the
hassles of actually talking to each other. I find this terribly
unsatisfying. Were more chatting to be done within these sales, I think
people would find it about as satisfying as a good trade

Lynne

Old November 16th 04, 09:17 PM
MIKZCARDZ

Subject: Trading vs eBay
From: (NobleGB)
Date: 11/16/04 3:38 PM Eastern Standard Time
Now mike what are you suggesting? You post was a little confusing to me -
are
you saying that NSU prices are too high? and that Ebay prices are lower??
This might be so for regular modern nonsports - but I can assure you that for
Older tobacco cards, 30s/40s gum cards and other such early material, NSU
price
Guide is VERY low compared to the prices you see being realized on Ebay. If
asked at my table the high prices that items sell for on Ebay in the tobacco
card area, my customers would laugh in my face or call me a shark.......yet
they will happily go home and pay those prices on Ebay - go figure!!

Hi Dave,
Sorry, yes, I was speaking of newer set price NSU guidelines and not vintage.
Even though, you can purchase Orange Crocketts ('56) or Beatles ('64's) for
example in bulk lots for very low costs per card. I too have noticed that some
vintage cards, even 60's sets can get extremely high bids. As far as your
customers...I agree, Go Figure!

How about '62 Mars Attacks cards? -- Sometimes you can get a VG-EX for $15.00
on ebay and then again a graded (something new to the NS hobby) Mars Attacks
generates $50+++ per card?

There are definitely two worlds of NonSport Cards...Vintage (pre 1970) and New
(1970-present) and they are VERY distant from each other IMHO. I might be off
on my decades, but, you get the picture.

I think NSU could effectively poll dealers about prices. Would that be
possible?? I don't know, but I would fill out an email questionaire every
month.

With
regards to trading.......when one just wanted to complete a set, and there
was
no breakdown of scarcer cards, and most cards in a series were valued the
same
- one could trade cards - now one still does, except the wanter "trades"
money
for the card he wants from a dealer or eBay.

Exactly -- It's not a card:card trade world like it used to be...sometimes,
it's more affordable to buy a card you need.

I'm nicely suprised at teh amount of posts and discussion that has been
generated by the last Secaucus show - maybe some good may come of it.

But collectors - SUPPORT your local speciality shows - if you don't then the
spiral down will begin.

Dave Grimes
Check out my WEB Page at
http://members.aol.com/noblegb/page/text.html

YES YES YES -- There is nothing like a PHILLY show to find things that you have
searched for and to meet fellow collectors.

I'm actually more happy to see discussion on *this* newsgroup. I don't consider
all my thoughts to be perfect/correct, I consider them more of brain-storming
session contribution.

Bottom line to me -- I'm still selling and making money as a dealer and still
adding to my personal collection. AND -- still enjoying the hobby.

Mike Surratt
www.mikzcardz.com

Old November 16th 04, 09:30 PM
MIKZCARDZ

That low end to high end issue is not really new. Trading online can be a great
thing when two people are willing to take the chance. Bad traders have also had
an impact I think and ebay offers some sort of retaliation/recourse if the card
doesn't show up or is not as described. I've been burned in the past
trading...but still do..

I think having pre-set rules about individual's trading guidlines would help.

IOW, singles:singles, low$ inserts : low$
inserts, etc agreed to right up front would make things easier. I try to do
so...

Mike Surratt
www.mikzcardz.com

Old November 16th 04, 11:14 PM
Brian

MIKZCARDZ wrote:
That low end to high end issue is not really new. Trading online can be a great
thing when two people are willing to take the chance. Bad traders have also had
an impact I think and ebay offers some sort of retaliation/recourse if the card
doesn't show up or is not as described. I've been burned in the past
trading...but still do..

For trading of Star Wars cards, starwarscards.net is the place! And you
can post feedback for (& thus research) others.

But I too buy much and sell a little on eBay. Works great 99% of the
time ...

-B

Star Wars cards, etc. for buy/sell/trade:
http://www.networksplus.net/standingwater/topps.htm

Old November 17th 04, 07:07 AM
Jen Badham

I agree that NSU prices are higher than eBay for modern cards. However, this
is not a problem if it is an actual trade (rather than sell). I find the NSU
guide prices very useful for defining a trade offer. I someone has something
I want and I have something they want, a reasonable way of making a trade
offer is to put together a package of stuff that is of the same NSU price.
Of course, none of this works for cross-trades, as it is really difficult to
work out equal values for trading cards, phonecards, pogs, stamps etc.

Jen

Old November 17th 04, 02:19 PM
MIKZCARDZ

Yes, NSU is a helpful tool when trying to determine fair trade values for 1:1
trades. I use it all the time. Problems occur when someone wants to trade me a
new card set that's listed for $12 and really sells for $3-$4 for an insert/set
that is a little difficult to obtain.

It might be beneficial for me to wait and pick up the set at a show instead of
trading for it. Ebay vs Trading???

Mike
www.mikzcardz.com