Shows vs E-bay

Old November 16th 04, 05:06 PM
DAYK

Default Shows vs E-bay

I live on the West Coast and there are very few nonsport card shows out here.
Mostly sports card shows. That's one reason why I get my cards mostly on E-bay.
Another reason is that hardly anyone wants to trade anymore. Before E-bay,
trading was the main way of getting cards. If you look at this board you very
rarely see trade offers anymore, mostly just selling.

The problems I have with going to shows are the prices. I know dealers are
trying to recoup costs of the shows, but frankly, that's not my problem. The
prices for cards there are usually more than what they charge in their store
and often 4 to 5 times higher than what it would cost on E-Bay. Speaking of
E-bay and dealers,
I have noticed that the New York dealers always charge at least twice what
other dealers do for cards on E-bay. NY must be an expensive place for card
dealers.

With the advent of so many varied and hard to find inserts now in each new
series, the collector has to be very careful with his budget. I would guess
that the vast majority of collectors can no longer afford to complete all the
new sets coming out.

The last point is timing. Cards from new series are on E-bay immediately, while
it takes much longer for them to appear at shows. As we all know cards
depreciate very rapidly over time. I think if we all took a realistic view of
our collections we would see that at least 90% of our cards are worth less than
what we bought them for when they came out.

Old November 16th 04, 06:15 PM
MIKZCARDZ

Subject: Shows vs E-bay
From: (DAYK)
Date: 11/16/04 11:06 AM Eastern Standard Time
[...]

Lots of good remarks!

I do not buy new product immediately as a dealer or collector. Prices do go
down. I too feel that the "trading" aspect has dwindled.

Once again, I wish the early 90's were back in style. I remember lower
quantities of inserts...5/6 quality foils/holos were the norm..

Now-a-days ... all the autos, sketches, regular 3-4 to a box inserts, minor $1
inserts (sometimes 20 or more to complete), case/binder incentives, exclusive
promos...sell sheets, etc. make it difficult to finish any new set of cards!

A regular collector can not purchase a 12-box case of cards and maybe complete
a master set. Believe it or not -- sometimes a 12-box case
does NOT complete a master set with all the autos/sketch cards.

As far as NY -- everything in NY is expensive...regional retailing goes on
everywhere.

Mike Surratt
www.mikzcardz.com
Old November 16th 04, 10:29 PM
kevin le pore

Hey ...Mike , Kerry , , Whats with all the knocks against New York ???

ya better quit or i'll raise my prices...
LOL...

Kevin C. LePore
12 Sebastion Drive
Rochester , New York
U.S.A. 14625

http://community.webtv.net/kevinlepo...insComicsCards

http://community.webtv.net/kevinlepore/KevinscardList

Old November 17th 04, 01:20 AM
Jon Doyle

Interesting. . .

I find 2 things going on, really. First off you can't blame the drop
off in shows to the internet. . . the drop off in shows occurred due to
the crash of the industry, mass closing of retailers and massive exodus
of promoters from putting on shows.

That said I think we are in a 'rebuilding' period of shows. . . more
shows are popping up and growing (at least in my (Chicago) area).

The other side of the coin is the internet vs. the show dealer. Yes you
do have to be competitive with eBay, but you also have to have product
available . . . many dealers put their best stuff on eBay immediately --
it never makes it to a show table. I can't tell you how few sketch cards
I see at shows because dealers put them on eBay right away. I can't buy
your good stuff from you if you've already sold it on eBay.

Also carry some different product. . . every flipping dealer at any
given show is selling basically the same stuff. . . This is what I am
going to miss a lot about seeing Mike from Barrington Square at shows --
you never knew what was going to end up on his table.

Just me $.02.

Happy Collecting. . .

Jon

Old November 17th 04, 04:43 AM
MIKZCARDZ

From: (kevin le pore)
Date: 11/16/04 4:29 PM Eastern Standard Time
Hey ...Mike , Kerry , , Whats with all the knocks against New York ???

ya better quit or i'll raise my prices...
LOL...

Kevin C. LePore
12 Sebastion Drive
Rochester , New York
U.S.A. 14625

http://community.webtv.net/kevinlepo...insComicsCards

http://community.webtv.net/kevinlepore/KevinscardList

I didn't knock NEW YORK ::smile::

Aren't things a bit more expensive there???

Hard to tell anymore -- I remember $0.90 a gallon gas!

Mike Surratt
www.mikzcardz.com
Old November 17th 04, 04:50 AM
MIKZCARDZ

From: Jon Doyle
Date: 11/16/04 7:20 PM Eastern Standard Time
[...]

Hi Jon -- I can tell you that it is VERY true that I sell higher dollar inserts
on eBay and leftovers (unsold) do make it to the shows.

Recouping your wholesale cost is a priority! Waiting for the right customer to
buy that particular sketch card could take many months. Have you ever seen a
near-empty Auto Card binder (or glass case) at any given show? Stuff sits
around.

As far as different product...that's why I bring older product whenever
possible. But, It's really hard to determine what people might buy at any given
show.

Glad someone else joined this discussion!

Mike
www.mikzcardz.com
Old November 17th 04, 01:55 PM
Lynne Stewart

Interesting, that's something I hadn't considered...that shows would have a
higher percentage of leftovers. It would true of anyone with an online
*store*, myself included, who utilizes an auctionne format as the
centerpiece of the selling arena. And with dealer preselling inserts they
hope to pull on Ebay a month in advance, even working shows around release
dates wouldn't help.
Hmmmm

Old November 17th 04, 01:55 PM
kevin le pore

Hey Mike ,

Yeah , New Yorks land of the Taxes , Gas is expensive , over $2.20 a
gallon

NYC is even Worse , I've been there twice this month and everythings
high priced , Especially the collectables market..

the Shows cost alomost 3 times as much to get in to ( admission $15.oo a
head ) and buying Tables @ shows is around $300.oo a 6 foot table , If
you set up & don't make table space $ you've basicly given your stuff
away by the time you get done , the crowds are usually good @ the shows,
but everyones looking for deals and alot of the $$ changing hands is
between dealers buying off each other..very little trading going on..

I like the smaller 1 day shows in upstate New York alot better , less
travel , better prices on tables
and provided the promoters advertise the show theres usually a decent
crowd attending

So Far theres been a couple shows that cancelled here in Upstate ,( 1
Star Trek Convention & 1-2 smaller shows ) either due to poor
management by promoters or not enuff dealers buying tables to make it
worth setting up@

I went to 1 show last weekend , 80% Crafts & baked goods , 20%
collectables , Almost no advrtiseing for this show except word of mouth
, and it was in a new locatioon which alot of people had trouble finding
,

I love going to the shows , (as a collector ) and i always bring some
boxes of stuff to try and trade with other dealers , but it's getting
harder to travel for the shows with gas prices high , cost of rooms ,
tolls , plus traveling 400 + miles to & from a show gets old quick...

the only good "card related" shows I've been to in the last couple years
have been the NSU Shows , Theres Always alot of Great Card Dealers to
shop from and trade with there..

Theres another big convention this coming weekend in NYC , the Big Apple
National Comic Convention, i'll be there hunting around for cards &
comics and checking out the artists tables , And theres also the NYC
Movie Memobilia con Sunday Nov 21st @ the Hotel Pennsylvnia
401 Seventh Ave @ 33rd st , So if your in the NYC Area , theres 2 shows
to check out this weekend ,

Hope to see you all @ the Next NSU show
and it's nice to see some interesting discussions on this site...

Best Regards , Kevin

P.S. Anyone interested in TRADES , Check out my 2 webpages , Thanks ,
Kevin

Old November 17th 04, 05:35 PM
Patrick W. Schubert Sr.

Shows are few and far between due to slow dealers who wait till the last
minute to book tables. The last minute approach kills a promoter because
he/she has to put $500 or more for a hall and may not book all tables till a
week prior if at all.

Then when the dealers set up, every customers either just wants to know how
much their cards are worth or they just want to trade at E-Bay prices. I
usually trade book to book but people act like being a dealers means you get
everything for 10% of book. If you set up in a mall, theft and breakage are
big issues. There is little or no profit in cards at all anymore. Whether
you are a dealer or collector the best you can hope for is that the big star
or popular cards of the year is in your collection prior to the popularity
increase. Most buyers do not realize the effort it takes to do a show. I
know from experience, I load my truck (about 1 hour, unload at the show 1/2
hour, & setup about 1 hour) drag the stuff out, and some kid pummels your
cards surfing through your boxes. You have to case everything or it will be
destroyed.

E-Bay has all but eliminated shops and is killing shows because why should
someone buy from you at a show when they can have 90% of cards for 3-10% of
book with shipping. Nobody wants to sell for 10% so if you want to buy from
people at shows, 35% is the minimum someone will accept for a sale, how can
you resell that anywhere?

Shows vs. E-Bay ... Buy on E-Bay and take whatever you can get when you
sell. Turn it around ASAP n replace it with something that may be the hot
new thing in a month or two.

Patrick
www.dacollector.net

Old November 17th 04, 11:47 PM
Jon Doyle

Hi Jon -- I can tell you that it is VERY true that I sell higher dollar inserts
on eBay and leftovers (unsold) do make it to the shows.

But saying that aren't you just admitting that the stuff you have at
shows isn't as desireable as what you've sold on eBay? Perhaps that's
why you're not making as many sales at shows.

Recouping your wholesale cost is a priority! Waiting for the right customer to
buy that particular sketch card could take many months. Have you ever seen a
near-empty Auto Card binder (or glass case) at any given show? Stuff sits
around.

Back to the previous point -- the stuff that doesn't sell on eBay sits
around. I've been to plenty of shows where all the dealers have
autograph cases packed with the same cards. Few dealers stock anything
out of the ordinary, and few have harder to find cards on their tables
(unless it just happens to be a set that just came out).

That said when I do find a table with stuff on it that I haven't been
looking at all day I stop and look a little harder -- I know there is
potential for me to find something cool on their table.

As far as different product...that's why I bring older product whenever
possible. But, It's really hard to determine what people might buy at any given
show.

It may be difficult to figure out what people want to buy, but as a
dealer it's your job to know what you can sell.

As a collector I do my part-- when I find a dealer selling stuff I like
I make sure to email them what I'm looking for before I go to a show
they are selling at.

As far as selling at a show is concerned, I think dealers need to
differenciate themselves . . . make yourself stand out in a crowd of
people all hawking the same goods.

Jon