Philly Show!

Old March 16th 04, 09:03 PM
James Rutledge

Oh, gosh, you are so funny. You make these ad hominum attacks on me and my
personal business and then have the nerve, the out and out gaul, to call me
childish? Get a grip!
What I meant, since you seem to need clarification, is that if you had a
problem with me being there before shows started maybe ya shoulda done the
mature thing and asked me to my face instead of hating me for it with no
justfication? Or said something to Fred about it, who would've set you
straight as well.
I stopped being a customer of yours not based on trades (silly me, I brought
you stuff from your want lists whihc you usually said no to anyway, how evil
of me) but based on you not having anythijng I could possibly use at all
whatsoever.
Inventory or selection and business ethic have completely different
meanings. Really.
You buy what for pennies on the dollar? All yer stuff is from the early
nineties and such when everything was overproduced. I don't recall seeing
much of anything from Inkworks or Ritten from you, hence why I stopped
shopping with ya. The new good stuff sells out, from CI to Ink, no ones
dumping product anymore and that is a good thing.
No, don't miss ya at all (especially now that I know the real you), just
know you stopped doing Tysons when the table prices went up. Something you
were very vocal about.
And Mike, go ahead and threaten me. In public, as it were. In writing, no
less. I will be sure to print this out. It'll look real good in court.
WOW, that is sooo cool. Can't wait to tell everyone about that. Nice man,
real nice. This all started with a suggestion about your selection of
singles being outdated and how you could make more money if you updated it
and now you've blown up about it. Again, ya need to calm down. Take a
breath, not a punch. I stay away from you anyway, but not out of fear.
Never.

Subject: Philly Show!
From: "James Rutledge"
Date: 3/16/04 12:19 PM Eastern Standard Time

Wow, someone needs both a sense of humor and a dose of reality!
First off Mr. Happy Pants, I am in the room early cuz I actually work for
Derek. I get there a good three hours early and set up with him cuz its
fun, not hard work like you claim. If you ever talked to him you would

know
that. Or if you had bothered to ask instead of just developing an

eroneous
and prejudicial, baseless anger towards me.

And yes, I trade a LOT. I trade online and locally and have made some
amazing trades, into the thousands of dollars. That's not wrong, its
freaking amazing. Toot, there goes my own horn.
And People with stock that comes from recent releases get cash money from

me
all the time, Zena and Laura and Derek (and who the hell is Bob anyway?)

can
attest to this. They will also admit to many trades as well, but that is
their choice, and really none of your damned business! What, are we
jealous?
This past weekend in fact, at yet another show in the Tysons area you did
not set up at, I spent cash money. And will do so again this next

weekend
in Maryland at another show I understand you won't be at.
Never paid for a table. Don't want to. I trade, sell only on rare
occasions and only on ebay when I just plain need the cash for whatever
reasons.
You need to calm down. And get yer facts straight. Then try attacking
again with some ammo instead of a plastic gun

Funny (and a fact), you used to be a customer of mine on occasion and then

it
became a "let's trade" thing. That's my own personal experience with you.
*Trades* do not pay for my table fees and if I were to have an attitude

about
that, that's my right as a DEALER. As a collector, I also have had the
wonderful experience of trading with many many (1,000's) of people all

over the
world, so? Did you get a horn for this?

Also, why should I ask Derek about his help? If I have a question at

McDonalds,
I ask the manager, not the guy flippin' burgers in the back.

Speaking of Derek, he's never questioned my inventory/business ethic (in
private or on a public newsgroup) and actually, I made a trade with him
recently for some older sets. They must have some value to him or would

that be
for a "paying" customer of his??

Speaking of value, my experience has shown me (because I will not lay out
1,000's of dollars- the average wholesale case of cards is $600+) that it

is
not cost-effective to buy new product and sell it to make small

percentages off
boxes. I wait and buy for pennies on the dollar and sell for larger

100-fold+
proft margins. I'm not alone in the card world with this strategy.

I'm so thrilled that you consider it a fun thing to do in the AM setting

up
someone elses product and I'm ever so proud that cash has actually left

your
pocket for cards! I stand corrected on that point!

In the future, I suggest that you keep your childish commentary to

yourself
about *my* business practices and your distance from me at the Timonium,MD

show
March 28th or any future show I set up at. BTW, have you missed me at

Tyson's
or something, you're not getting sweet on me, are you?

Mike Surratt
www.mikzcardz.com

Old March 17th 04, 07:21 AM
MIKZCARDZ

From: "James Rutledge"
Date: 3/16/04 3:03 PM Eastern Standard Time

Oh, gosh, you are so funny. You make these ad hominum attacks on me and my
personal business and then have the nerve, the out and out gaul, to call me
childish? Get a grip!

Oh Gosh, you were the one that thought you were being funny making your own ad
homonym attack on me and my business. Gaul?? I didn't make the initial what I
considered to be childish and rude comment that started this, you did. I am
getting a grip ---

What I meant, since you seem to need clarification, is that if you had a
problem with me being there before shows started maybe ya shoulda done the
mature thing and asked me to my face instead of hating me for it with no
justfication? Or said something to Fred about it, who would've set you
straight as well.

You really are giving yourself more credit than you deserve. I had an
inclination that you were somewhat linked with Derek and you are way off base
with your comments about my supposed "erroneous
and prejudicial, baseless anger towards"
you. I think it's obvious we just don't like each other. Sorry, if it concerned
me that much, I would have talked to Fred or Derek. It was my observation and I
did say that I was mistaken.

I stopped being a customer of yours not based on trades (silly me, I brought
you stuff from your want lists whihc you usually said no to anyway, how evil
of me) but based on you not having anythijng I could possibly use at all
whatsoever.

This statement makes no sense, you offered to trade for cards I had? I declined
trades because I didn't wish to trade with you and now you know the reasons
why.

Inventory or selection and business ethic have completely different
meanings. Really.
You buy what for pennies on the dollar? All yer stuff is from the early
nineties and such when everything was overproduced.

I should have addressed this statement immediately since it was the one that
infuriated me. My set inventory has many newer issues including (to name a few)
T3, Alias 2, Complete Battlestar Galactica, LOTR ROTK, Benchwarmers 2003 Series
#1 and #2, X-Files #9, etc.

Yes, I still carry sets from the 90's, even some from the 80's, 70's and am
working on even older sets for my inventory. Why do I continue to carry them?
Because they continue to sell. You are the one that needs to get their facts
straight. My mention about carrying singles to the Philly show and lack of
sales didn't mean that I had a bad show. It meant that I could have loaded my
car with more inventory that did sell. I had a great show that particular
weekend selling new, old, semi-old, even dusty cards.

I don't recall seeing
much of anything from Inkworks or Ritten from you, hence why I stopped
shopping with ya. The new good stuff sells out, from CI to Ink, no ones
dumping product anymore and that is a good thing.

Well, first, I do not carry everything I own to every show...and much of my
inventory gets moved on eBay and even on this newsgroup.

Oh yeah, how is it possible that I got newer sets for pennies on the dollar?
Because newer sets (uncollated singles) do get dumped, you didn't know that?
And, you can find occasional deals (below wholesale cost) on Ebay for unopened
boxes about a year old or so. It is 2004, so that would be past the 90's, huh?
I currently have a Dirk Benedict BSG Auto on Ebay...sorry, no trades.

No, don't miss ya at all (especially now that I know the real you), just
know you stopped doing Tysons when the table prices went up. Something you
were very vocal about.

This is another time that you appear to know my business choices?? How is that?
You already know what shows I'm doing and not doing. Why do I have to continue
to point out that you are not the one taking chances paying for a table. If I
choose not to take a table at the Tysons show because of the increased table
fee, once again why are you concerned or care? You must consider that another
of my bad business choices. BTW, table fees at Philly are actually less
than Tysons - go figure. Are you gonna share you wisdom with the Philly
promoter on how he can make more money too?

And Mike, go ahead and threaten me. In public, as it were. In writing, no
less. I will be sure to print this out. It'll look real good in court.
WOW, that is sooo cool. Can't wait to tell everyone about that. Nice man,
real nice.

Thanks, if you were to have walked over to my table at a show and tried to
enlighten me about how I can make more money, my response certainly would have
been the same. "Keep your commentary to yourself and keep your distance"...or
in other words "shut the "F" up and get the "F" outta here! I think all who
know me would agree that I would be inclined to make this statement or one a
bit more colorful.

I also hope you will be adult enough to print out this *entire* thread
including this post to share with whoever you wish.

Tell them all I sad hi ! And, maybe Derek (since you brought up his name first,
not me, who actually is a fellow dealer that I have great respect for, in the
company of all the other dealers I know) might give you a raise for showing us
all what a great helper you are! I do have to ask (since you consider it so
much fun helping him at shows and feel it is NOT hard work) ...

1. Do you break open and collate all his sets, inserts, etc and package them up
and/or price them all?
2. Do you post his items on eBay and package them up to be mailed?
3. Do you do any of the ordering/inventory for him day after day?
4. Do you report your occasional sales to the IRS? (I do BTW and also have a
sales tax # in more than one state)

The behind the scenes (work/risk) is what I was talking about. Not, the fun of
doing a show...another fact of a dealers life.

This all started with a suggestion about your selection of
singles being outdated and how you could make more money if you updated it
and now you've blown up about it. Again, ya need to calm down. Take a
breath, not a punch. I stay away from you anyway, but not out of fear.
Never.

No, you need to realize that you do not know **** about being a dealer, and I
for one, don't like to get **** from someone who has no clue. I'm out there
head first--- you're tagging along.

I also continually make a profit every year...how is that possible????? I MUST
be doing something wrong???

Mike Surratt
www.mikzcardz.com

Old March 17th 04, 05:07 PM
Warren Faye

I think it would be wise to air y'alls dirty laundry in
private,not in a forum that everybody reads and is not relevant to
collecting.

Old March 17th 04, 10:16 PM
Arnold Harris

Hi Guys!! Most of you know I "semi-retired" and moved to Florida 5 years
ago. Twice a year I try to convince my wife that one of our trips to the
cool (cold?) North should be during the Philly show. I really do miss seeing
all of my old friends and hearing all the rumors and news about what's going
on! I miss the Sunday morning donut holes..the REAL news from the Tosers and
NonSport Update....and the Sweet Lebanon Bologna from my favorite collector
in the Lancaster area. Reading this little soap opera thread made me realize
how much I'll miss all the bar conversations this year!! Think of me when
you're having a drink!! Best regards to you all! arnie harris

Old March 21st 04, 05:20 AM
BILLZEE

I'm attending Philly... I'm looking for a CI Elvgren & Friends binder (with
those odd size pages) Also an Inkworks Women of Bond binder w/pages. Let me
know if you have either one? Thanks!
Old March 23rd 04, 05:47 AM
Mars53

If you don't find a "Women of Bond" binder at the show please let me know. I
have one for sale, never been used. I will also include a promo card from that
set too, with purchase.

Remember with each order we ship a FREE promo item too.....

A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/seller/mars53" Visit my Amazon member's
page./A