US Territories and...

Old September 17th 03, 01:13 AM
Grandpa

Default US Territories and...

Some time ago there was talk of continuing the St Qtr program to include
US territories and possibly some other places. Was that issue ever
resolved or is it still pending?

Old September 17th 03, 01:41 AM
JSTONE9352

Some time ago there was talk of continuing the St Qtr program to include
US territories and possibly some other places. Was that issue ever
resolved or is it still pending?

A bill to do that was introduced in the
House on Sept. 3. It would honor the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico,
Northern Mariana Islands, American
Samoa, Guam and the Virgin Islands by
issuing the coins in 2009.

It may be months before any vote is
taken as this is not a high priority matter in Congress.
Old September 17th 03, 04:07 PM
ELurio

It passed the House several times, but died in the Senate. Perhaps if they had
Nickels in 2006, it might appease the upper house.

eric l.
Old September 17th 03, 07:10 PM
note.boy

Iraq has been added. Billy

Old September 18th 03, 04:02 AM
Grandpa

That one wouldn't surprise me in the least. Saw a piece on TV last
night where the price of wood (ply & OSB) is going sky high because the
Fed Gov is buying huge amounts to do some rebuilding in Iraq. They
showed a guy here (Albuquerque) who was adding a room, old cost $14k,
new cost with wood prices going up, $20k. They said the 4x8 sheet of
OSB (wafer board) that cost $7 last month was at $20 now and still climbing.

note.boy wrote:

Iraq has been added. Billy

Old September 18th 03, 01:48 PM
ELurio

note.boy wrote:

Iraq has been added. Billy

Hardeeharhar. There was an article on the op-ed page of today's times saying
how France and several other countries want Iraq to become a bloodier mess than
it already is.

Why does the left hate the Iraqi people so?

eric l.
Old September 18th 03, 04:18 PM
Coin Saver

From: elurio

Why does the left hate the Iraqi people so?

Probably for the opposite reason that the right hate the Iraqi people so.

8-/

Coin Saver
Old September 18th 03, 07:00 PM
Christian Feldhaus

[Attention, possibly boring and non-numismatic stuff ahead. Hence the
"OT" tag ...]

ELurio wrote:

There was an article on the op-ed page of today's times
saying how France and several other countries want Iraq to become a
bloodier mess than it already is.

Was that the Washington Times? g Putting the blame on the French
government (and others that do not fully and unconditionally support
your current administration's approach) may be somewhat popular in your
country but it won't really help resolving the issue.

The governments of France and some other European countries opposed the
war that, at least officially, was fought because Iraq did not comply
with some UN resolutions. On the other hand they were/are engaged in
various peacekeeping missions, in Afghanistan and Congo, for example.

Guess it is difficult to demand their support beyond that, while not
moving away from the old "we do it the way we want, and you are either
with us or against us" attitude. Fortunately the US government now seems
to be willing to cooperate and negotiate again, so I am somewhat more
optimistic regarding Iraq.

Madeleine Albright just wrote an interesting article in Foreign Affairs
http://tinylink.com/?Fz12QPcFAn ...

| Instead of simply asking others to oppose al Qaeda, [President Bush]
| now asks them to oppose al Qaeda, support the invasion of an Arab
| country, and endorse the doctrine of preemption -- all as part of a
| single package. Faced with this choice, many who staunchly oppose
| al Qaeda have nevertheless decided that they do not want to be "with"
| the United States

Not that I agree with everything she says :-) But it may be worth
reading.

Christian