Q: What´s the diff. between...

Old August 15th 03, 07:43 PM
Wolfgang Haeupler

Default Q: What´s the diff. between...

Group!
Could someone please tell me, what is the difference
between the US silver proof sets and the silver premiere
sets, which both are listed in the Red Book?
Is there are visible difference?

Thanks in advance,
Wolfgang

Old August 15th 03, 09:51 PM
Bill Krummel

"Wolfgang Haeupler" wrote in message
Ed Hendricks wrote:

The premier sets were basically silver proof sets
with fancy packaging. They weren't hugely popular and
they quit making them in 1998.

Are there any differences between the packagings?
I tried to search for them at ebay.com but what I
found looked pretty the same. There are auctions
for premiere sets and the pics just showed silver sets
without the word "premiere" on the packaging.
Auctions for "silver sets" show sets which exactly the
same.
Were the coins in the premiere sets minted earlier
than the silver proof sets?
That is what I thought in the first place.
Regards
Wolfgang

Wolfgang, I am getting close to putting up for auction one of each type set
for the year 1992. My auction images would not be to clear on the
packaging, so I did this real quick, hoping to help;

http://showcase.netins.net/web/bills...orWolfgang.JPG

Bottom two images are the Premier proof set and packaging. Top image is the
regular silver proof set, still in the black box. Bill

Old August 15th 03, 10:27 PM
Wolfgang Haeupler

Bill Krummel wrote:
Wolfgang, I am getting close to putting up for
auction one of each type set for the year 1992. My
auction images would not be to clear on the
packaging, so I did this real quick, hoping to help;

http://showcase.netins.net/web/bills...orWolfgang.JPG

Bottom two images are the Premier proof set and
packaging. Top image is the regular silver proof set,
still in the black box. Bill

Thanks, Bill. Those sets look similar to the Prestige sets,
which I really like a lot. How much are your sets?
Will you sell to Europe too?
BTW may I forward the link to a trading partner of mine,
to let him know the difference too?
Regards
Wolfgang

Old August 15th 03, 10:45 PM
Harv

"Wolfgang Haeupler" wrote in message
Group!
Could someone please tell me, what is the difference
between the US silver proof sets and the silver premiere
sets, which both are listed in the Red Book?
Is there are visible difference?

Thanks in advance,
Wolfgang

The difference was purely packaging. The Premier Silver Sets, while they
made them, for a few years, in the 1990s, came in a box contianing a fancy,
squishy, velvety padded case with metal hinging that opened up to reveal
basically a regular Silver Proof Set in the usual five coin plastic holder,
with a metal frame around it that could be flipped back so the set could
stand up on a built-in easel..

These should not be confused with the Prestige Proof Sets, which were in
even fancier leather bound snap shut cases and included one or two
Commemoratives from that year, sometimes a Half, sometimes a Dollar,
sometimes both, plus a COA and an outer box.

The Premier Silver Sets have a horizontal format. The Prestige Proof Sets
have a vertical format..

Neither have been sold by the US Mint for about six years.. 1997 was the
last year for the Presitge Proof Sets.. I think the Premier Silver Sets
ended the same year too.. Again, the Premier Silver Sets were ONLY fancy
packaging around a standard Silver Set. The Prestige Set (even though you
did not ask about them).. were even fancier packaging around a clad set that
included one or two Commemoratives for/from that year.. the three final
years of the Prestige Sets apparently sold in very small numbers since they
are far and away the most expensive to buy now..

Harv

Old August 15th 03, 11:43 PM
Ed Hendricks

"Harv" wrote in message

Neither have been sold by the US Mint for about six years.. 1997 was
the last year for the Presitge Proof Sets.. I think the Premier
Silver Sets ended the same year too..
Harv

1998 was the last year for the premier sets, Harv.

--
Ed Hendricks
ANA# R178621

Old August 15th 03, 11:54 PM
Wolfgang Haeupler

Harv wrote:
[...]
Again, the Premier Silver Sets
were ONLY fancy packaging around a standard Silver Set. The Prestige
Set (even though you did not ask about them).. were even fancier
packaging around a clad set that included one or two Commemoratives
for/from that year.. the three final years of the Prestige Sets
apparently sold in very small numbers since they are far and away the
most expensive to buy now..

I know about the Prestige sets and I even have 4 of them
and I really like them :O)
I also know they only made the Premiere sets until 1998 but
I didn´t know the difference between the Premiere and the silver
sets. Seems I will have to get at least one of each :O)
Thanks a lot
Wolfgang

Old August 16th 03, 02:46 AM

The Premier Silver Proof Sets come in a much better packaging than the
regular silver proof sets. The regular silver proof sets look like a
regular proof set before they came out with the state quarter program.

The Prestige Proof Set is another proof set with special packaging and
it also includes commems. IMO, a very nice set.

I have all except for the type 2 Prestige Set in 1990, missing m/m on
the penny. It is currently going around $3500, give or take a few
hundred. Hopefully one day will have that one too.

bob

Old August 16th 03, 11:19 AM
Edward McGrath

In this case I would have to agree with (ftecaw) Dumbass. lol

Old August 16th 03, 03:12 PM
JIM

Edward McGrath wrote:

In this case I would have to agree with (ftecaw) Dumbass. lol

__________________
/| /| | |
||__|| | Please do |
/ O O\__ NOT |