PING: oly, I am not easily surprised

Old February 15th 10, 08:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Default PING: oly, I am not easily surprised

I just learned that Victor Gadoury's Monnaies Françaises, also known as "Le
Rouge", has been published again, covering coinage through 2009. Price 29
euros. Apparently two of his contributors had bought out his company and
have been issuing the title every other year. The review mentioned that
Gadoury, whom I met when he used to set up at CICF, was Canadian by birth,
not Monégasque, as I and a lot of other people thought.

With the publication of that book, there is yet hope for the world!

James

Old February 15th 10, 01:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Feb 15, 2:51*am, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
I just learned that Victor Gadoury's Monnaies Françaises, also known as "Le
Rouge", has been published again, covering coinage through 2009. *Price 29
euros. *Apparently two of his contributors had bought out his company and
have been issuing the title every other year. *The review mentioned that
Gadoury, whom I met when he used to set up at CICF, was Canadian by birth,
not Monégasque, as I and a lot of other people thought.

With the publication of that book, there is yet hope for the world!

James

Thanks for the advice; should you know where to get a copy, please
pass that info along too. Will the gentleman down around Atlanta GA
who always handled the books in the past sell this one???

France has so much very low mintage NCLT anymore, well the book has to
be getting quite thick. I have most of the Red ones, plus one copy of
the White Gadoury (1978 2nd edition) and one copy of the Blue
Gadoury. Happily, I also have two or three of his hard covered
illustrated lists of jetons.

Mr. Gadoury had something in him that made him a truly driven author.

I met Mr. Gadoury three times at shows, and he inscribed a copy of the
1989 special Red edition ( a la Bicentaire de la Revolution) for me.
I was always under the impression that Monsieur Gadoury was a European
of some sort (possibly a Frenchman living in West Germany), but that
the Monaco address shown in the front of his books was an address of
convenience. Canadian(?), I cannot confirm. I do know that he had a
nephew named J. Daniel Gadoury living in O Canada, just across the
river from Detroit. About five to seven years ago, I bought some
1980s-dated silver 100 francs and such from him. The nephew was
working as a photographer and Yoga instructor, very friendly person.

Again, thanks for the info.

oly

oly
Old February 15th 10, 01:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Feb 15, 7:39*am, oly wrote:
[...]

Bicentenaire, mon prof??? The Larousse isn't handy just this moment.
oly
Old February 15th 10, 01:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

oly wrote:
[...]

I read the notice in the E-Sylum, the online blog of the Numismatic
Bibliomania Society. You can access the current issue containing the
pertinent article he

http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_esylum_v13n07.html

At one of the CICFs I purchased the big 50 francs 1974 silver of Monaco from
M. Gadoury.

Anyone here who is interested in Numismatic books can sign up for free email
delivery of the weekly e-newsletter, which comes down the pipe on Sunday
evenings.

James

Old February 15th 10, 01:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

wrote:

[...]

C'est ça, t'as raison.

One of my favorite memories of VG occurred when I saw him turn to a dealer
in the booth next to him and ask him, "Est-ce que vous parlez bosch?" 8)

James

Old February 15th 10, 02:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

wrote:

[...]

Here'e the website for Editions Gadoury:

http://www.gadoury.com/fra/

And remember, book adventures make one late for dinner!

James the Hobbit

Old February 15th 10, 02:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Feb 15, 7:52*am, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
oly wrote:
[...]

James- Hide quoted text -

Nephew Daniel Gadoury sold me numerous 1974-dated silver 50 francs of
Monaco, with the Rainier II portrait. Happily, I also have several of
the scarcer 1975 and 1976 dated pieces which were acquired from a WCN
regular.

Mr. V. Gadoury's showcase stuff was always very nice, and always
stiffly priced.

Thanks for the link.

oly

Old February 15th 10, 02:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

oly wrote:
[...]

oly- Hide quoted text -

Sorry, the late Prince Rainier's number s/b III. Cobwebs in the
mind!!! oly
Old February 15th 10, 02:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

wrote:
[...]

Only you and I knew of the error, and I was not about to say anything.

James the Silent

Old February 15th 10, 03:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

wrote:
[...]

James the Silent- Hide quoted text -

Since I am sometimes such a harpy about small errors, I would feel bad
not to correct it.

oly

My mind is not easily boggled, but... Mr. Jaggers Coins 12 March 16th 09 10:06 PM
Money can easily earn mic Paper Money 0 May 31st 08 03:12 PM
How You can easily earn $1,000,000!!! Behrooz Farhangirad Paper Money 0 December 12th 06 04:51 PM
Surprised? ???? Coins 4 December 6th 05 02:02 PM
Why am I not surprised? Larry Louks Coins 8 January 11th 05 04:46 PM