scanning coins

Old April 26th 07, 03:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default scanning coins

Hi everyone,

First, thanks for responding to my posts. It is very helpful to have
advice from people who have experience collecting coins. I am
interested in purchasing an HP all-in-one printer...model 6310. It has
a flatbed scanner. Can some of you recommend a scanner that is very
good for scanning coins? I'm not sure this will be good for that
purpose.

Thanks!
Jennifer

Old April 26th 07, 03:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"J" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi everyone,

First, thanks for responding to my posts. It is very helpful to have
advice from people who have experience collecting coins. I am
interested in purchasing an HP all-in-one printer...model 6310. It has
a flatbed scanner. Can some of you recommend a scanner that is very
good for scanning coins? I'm not sure this will be good for that
purpose.

I have an HP 7310 that I have successfully used. If you can get a.b.p.n.,
look at my postings of 2/07 for examples.

James

Old April 26th 07, 06:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Brian O

"J" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi everyone,

First, thanks for responding to my posts. It is very helpful to have
advice from people who have experience collecting coins. I am
interested in purchasing an HP all-in-one printer...model 6310. It has
a flatbed scanner. Can some of you recommend a scanner that is very
good for scanning coins? I'm not sure this will be good for that
purpose.

Thanks!
Jennifer

I'm using an hp psc 2110xi for scanning my coins. Ill post one under the
header "Just for Jen" in alt.binary.pictures.numismatic for you.

Old April 26th 07, 07:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
gogu[_2_]

? "J" ?????? ??? ??????
oups.com...
Hi everyone,

First, thanks for responding to my posts. It is very helpful to have
advice from people who have experience collecting coins. I am
interested in purchasing an HP all-in-one printer...model 6310. It has
a flatbed scanner. Can some of you recommend a scanner that is very
good for scanning coins? I'm not sure this will be good for that
purpose.

Hi there!
First of all, scanners are not the best way to have pictures of your coins,
especially when you are trying to scan a highly reflective proof coin...
That said, I admit that am archiving all my coins using a...scanner;-) What
can I say, it's easier and more convenient than taking a picture of them...
So a digital camera and a proper photographic stand will give you better
results...

If you still prefer to scan your coins though, I say that today there are no
"bad"
scanners; if I was in you I'd prefer a stand alone scanner and not a combo
solution but this is up to your needs so you be the judge...
As for companies, I would pick up an Epson or a Cannon but again, this comes
down to your personal taste.

rgrds

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi

Coins, travels and mo http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/golanule/my_photos
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html

Thanks!
Jennifer

Old April 26th 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
gogu[_2_]

Ο "Brian O" έγραψε στο μήνυμα

"gogu" wrote in message
[...]

Having said all that, what would be a good camera set up? I have a
digital
photo camera, but its strictly for vacation type pictures.

Believe it or not I am still on a P&S camera (a 5 MP Sony DSC P93) although
I am a serious amateur photographer since about 30 years and own 4 film
camera sets;-)
I am still not satisfied with what various camera companies are offering and
until Nikon comes out with a D80-like camera with an incorporated dust
removal device, I'll have to wait...
I say Nikon because I already have invested in 5 original (quite
expensive...) Nikon lenses and I'd like to use them on the digital camera I
am going to buy some time in the future...

Exactly how much
would a person have to spend to get a photo with the quality that a
scanner
could get?? I don't think you can do it for the same cost as you can get
with a good scanner.

Absolutely not!
But bear in mind that a camera has also other uses except photographing your
coins;-)
The money you pay for a photo stand you are paying them once so I suppose
it's not a big deal but again that depends of how one perceives that "no big
deal"...
IIRC there were here in the past a couple of threads debating the photo
stand topic, so a search with Google will give you much more insight than I
can.

rgrds

Old April 26th 07, 08:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Brian O

"gogu" wrote in message
[...]

photo camera, but its strictly for vacation type pictures. Exactly how much

Old April 26th 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Apr 26, 10:40 am, J wrote:
Hi everyone,

First, thanks for responding to my posts. It is very helpful to have
advice from people who have experience collecting coins. I am
interested in purchasing an HP all-in-one printer...model 6310. It has
a flatbed scanner. Can some of you recommend a scanner that is very
good for scanning coins? I'm not sure this will be good for that
purpose.

Thanks!
Jennifer

I don't scan coins (yet), but based on recommendations from a previous
RCC thread, I got a Microtek ScanMaker S400 - good price and it does a
nice job on slides and negatives ...

Old April 26th 07, 10:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Phil DeMayo

On Apr 26, 1:44?pm, "gogu" wrote:

If you still prefer to scan your coins though, I say that today there are no
"bad" scanners; if I was in you I'd prefer a stand alone scanner and not a combo
solution but this is up to your needs so you be the judge... As for companies,
I would pick up an Epson or a Cannon but again, this comes
down to your personal taste.

Gogu, Gogu, Gogu....shame on you ;-)

As you are well aware there are "bad" scanners if your goal is to scan
coins....scanners with CIS sensors. As you know CIS sensors lack the
depth of field provided by scanners with CCD sensors. Scanners with
CIS sensors are fine for scanning flat objects such as a sheet of
paper, but for scanning an object with any depth, a scanner with a CCD
sensor would be the scanner of choice.

Most "all-in-one" printer/scanners and slimline scanners use CIS
sensors. According to the PDF version of HP's full specifications for
the HP 6310 mentioned by the original poster, the 6310 uses the CIS
sensor and would therefore not be the best choice for scanning coins.

Old April 27th 07, 12:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"J" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi everyone,

First, thanks for responding to my posts. It is very helpful to have
advice from people who have experience collecting coins. I am
interested in purchasing an HP all-in-one printer...model 6310. It has
a flatbed scanner. Can some of you recommend a scanner that is very
good for scanning coins? I'm not sure this will be good for that
purpose.

Thanks!
Jennifer

I occasionally use my older HP6300C to scan some of my coins. The quality
is great-- often too great. With a higher dpi setting, every dust speck and
microscopic nick or spot is emphasized, making what I consider an attractive
coin look horrible. With the flatbed scanner, you're stuck with the
traveling light source which essentially eliminates shadows, even if you
tilt the coin slightly. My digital camera seems to capture the most
flattering images of my coins, but its resolution is limited due to a so-so
macro capability.

If you just want to scan coins for inventory purposes, most popular scanner
models would probably do just fine.

Bruce

Old April 27th 07, 12:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
gogu[_2_]

? "Phil DeMayo" ?????? ??? ??????
oups.com...
On Apr 26, 1:44?pm, "gogu" wrote:

If you still prefer to scan your coins though, I say that today there are
no
"bad" scanners; if I was in you I'd prefer a stand alone scanner and not
a combo
solution but this is up to your needs so you be the judge... As for
companies,
I would pick up an Epson or a Cannon but again, this comes
down to your personal taste.

Gogu, Gogu, Gogu....shame on you ;-)

I admit my omission:-)

As you are well aware there are "bad" scanners if your goal is to scan
coins....scanners with CIS sensors.

Aaargh, I don't even bother to think at them as "scanners" that's why I
forgot them:-)
But I stand corrected, those scanners have very swallow scanning "depth", so
what you scan must be practically "attached" to the glass of the scanner
(paper, photos, etc), anyything away of it, even a couple of millimeters
will probably show blurred.

As you know CIS sensors lack the
depth of field provided by scanners with CCD sensors. Scanners with
CIS sensors are fine for scanning flat objects such as a sheet of
paper, but for scanning an object with any depth, a scanner with a CCD
sensor would be the scanner of choice.

100% true!

Most "all-in-one" printer/scanners and slimline scanners use CIS
sensors. According to the PDF version of HP's full specifications for
the HP 6310 mentioned by the original poster, the 6310 uses the CIS
sensor and would therefore not be the best choice for scanning coins.

Then he/she should avoid it and look for a CCD scanner.
Again, I am sorry that I forgot those CIS scanners but I totally ignore them
thus my omission!
Thanks for correcting my posting Phil!

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi
puttane! F.d.A

Coins, travels and mo http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/golanule/my_photos
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html

Scanning the Bombers Rodney General Discussion 2 August 5th 04 02:24 AM
Scanning Coins Question Chris V. Coins 5 July 19th 04 06:27 PM
scanning coins Winde Walker Coins 5 April 9th 04 09:58 PM
Scanning for silver John D. Coins 12 April 9th 04 04:20 PM
Philatelic Scanning S General Discussion 9 November 16th 03 04:19 PM