Electrical help with C100

Old September 13th 05, 12:28 PM
Bob

Default Electrical help with C100

Hello,

I am currently living in Switzerland and I brought my Seeburg C100 with
me. I have a 1000W 220 - 110 voltage converter, but it operates at
50hz, which makes the records play slower.

Any thoughts on how to solve this problem to get back to normal speed.
I've been looking for a way to boost the HZ but I can't find an
economical solution.

All thoughts are appreciated.

Regards,

Bob

Old September 13th 05, 01:11 PM
KLR

On 13 Sep 2005 04:28:50 -0700, "Bob" wrote:

Hello,

I am currently living in Switzerland and I brought my Seeburg C100 with
me. I have a 1000W 220 - 110 voltage converter, but it operates at
50hz, which makes the records play slower.

Any thoughts on how to solve this problem to get back to normal speed.
I've been looking for a way to boost the HZ but I can't find an
economical solution.

All thoughts are appreciated.

Regards,

Bob

Generally speaking, you would need to increase the diameter of the
motor sharf to get that little bit extra RPM out of it to correct the
speed.

This is only half the solution though, as in many cases, running lamp
ballasts, transformers and AC motors on 50hz when they are intended
for 60hz, (REGARDLESS OF VOLTAGE) will make them overheat due to
saturation of their core, and of course they will ultimately burn out.

Series fluorescent lamps will fail much more often due to the extra
current flowing through the tube that isnt being blocked by the
saturated ballast. As an added bonus, the significant extra heat that
they give off will (over time) damage or discolour plastic parts that
are located near the tube.

About the only practical (moderately cheap and easy) solution (other
than mass replacement of the machine's motors, ballasts &
transformers), is to buy a 12v sine-wave inverter (a device that makes
240v 50hz from a 12/24v supply) and also a 240v - 12/24v power supply
to run it. Both these items will need to be rated at the same or
higher wattage as the machine draws from the mains. (probably about
500w+ would be a safe estimate)
Old September 14th 05, 02:32 AM
Bob E.

Bob wrote:

Hello,

I am currently living in Switzerland and I brought my Seeburg C100 with
me. I have a 1000W 220 - 110 voltage converter, but it operates at
50hz, which makes the records play slower.

Any thoughts on how to solve this problem to get back to normal speed.
I've been looking for a way to boost the HZ but I can't find an
economical solution.

Kendrick's (KLR) advice is good for jukes that have a belt or idler
wheel that drives the turntable, but Seeburgs are gear-driven, so
you need a different set of gears to change the ratio, and hence the
speed. I believe Victory Glass carries these sets, but it may not
fit your "economical solution" requirement. It's also a pretty major
bit of surgery on the mechanism to do the swap, I bet. KLR's advice on
the lamp ballasts is good though, check them to see if they get hot
at 50 Hz. (they will be inexpensive to replace if you need it).

--Bob

Bob Ellingson
Halted Specialties Co., Inc.
http://www.halted.com
3500 Ryder St. (408) 732-1573
Santa Clara, Calif. 95051 USA (408) 732-6428 (FAX)