What's the difference..

Old November 26th 03, 02:54 AM
~AZ Rider~

Default What's the difference..

..between 'old PCI' and 'new PCI'? Which is better? Are there
differences on the slabs?

TIA!

Old November 26th 03, 03:13 AM
Stujoe

~AZ Rider~ spoke thusly...
..between 'old PCI' and 'new PCI'? Which is better? Are there
differences on the slabs?

TIA!

Eric has a web page on them:

http://www.k6az.com/pci/pci.htm

--
Stujoe
Coin Grading,Coin News, Forums and more...
Old November 26th 03, 03:49 AM
~AZ Rider~

~AZ Rider~ spoke thusly...

=A0..between 'old PCI' and 'new PCI'? Which is
better? Are there differences on the slabs?
TIA!

Eric has a web page on them:
http://www.k6az.com/pci/pci.htm

Thanks, Stu.. that definitely answers my questions.

Old November 26th 03, 05:21 AM
Bob Peterson

the new slab is better looking then the old. the coins inside are a
different matter. most of us feel that the old green label slabs were more
accurately, even conservatively graded than those in the prettier gold label
slabs.

Old November 26th 03, 05:25 AM
Bob Peterson

I have not seen any green label PCI slabs at the last two coin shows. I
suspect that dealers and collectors realized what a bargain they often are
and have snapped them up.

I think they are still slabbing problem coins in red label slabs though. I
was up at the local coin club president's coin shop the other day and he had
several that had just come back from PCI in red label (problem) slabs.

"Stujoe" wrote in message
t...
~AZ Rider~ spoke thusly...

Old November 26th 03, 01:15 PM
Bruce Hickmott

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 23:25:08 -0600, "Bob Peterson" is
alleged to have written:

I have not seen any green label PCI slabs at the last two coin shows. I
suspect that dealers and collectors realized what a bargain they often are
and have snapped them up.

I think they are still slabbing problem coins in red label slabs though. I
was up at the local coin club president's coin shop the other day and he had
several that had just come back from PCI in red label (problem) slabs.

After seeing some of the coins in the gold slabs, I have to wonder how bad a
coin must be to get a red label from new PCI. Boiled in acid? several layers of
pink latex paint? I know whizzing doesn't disqualify you for a gold label.

Bruce
Old November 26th 03, 03:41 PM
Bob Peterson

"Bruce Hickmott" wrote in message
[...]

One I saw the other day said whizzed on it. I looked at it through a
magnifying glass and could see no whizzing lines. But it was too nice a
surface to be real and details were obviously reduced. Whoever did the
whizzing did a nice job. It would have fooled most people.

One other one said "porous" surfaces, or something like that. It was a not
too bad looking large cent, with some obvious fungus, but not real nasty
looking.

Another I think indicated the coin had been artificially colored, but it did
not look like it either to me or either of the two dealers. looked like a
natural r/b to me.

maybe the guys that do copper grading for them are better at what they do
than those that give out all the PR70 on modern stuff.