Would you fix this book?

Old August 5th 03, 02:48 AM
Scrooge

Default Would you fix this book?

I'll answer you questions out of order.

By the way, what book is it?

---

Les Ouures morales et politiques de Messire Franc?ois Bacon ... De la
version de I. Baudoin. [With an engraved portrait.]

BACON. Francis. Viscount St. Albans

pp. 848. P. Rocolet; F. Targa: Paris, 1626. 8o

The titlepage is engraved. Containing fifty-six Essays, "Observations
morales pour bien cultiuer l'esprit" from book 7 of "De Augmentis
Scientiarum," "La Sagesse mysterieuse des anciens," "Recueil d'apophtegems,"
"Tableau des couleurs ... du bien & du mal" and "Explication morale de
quelques Paraboles de Salomon."

---

Mine is the second French edition of the essays under this title published
in 1633.

I believe this is the French translation of most likely 'Essays or Councils,
Civil and Moral' first published in 1625 or less likely 'Essays Moral,
Economical, and Political'. Unlikely because, as far as I can tell, this
title was first published in 1798. They may be the same books only a name
change.

"Francis A. Miniter" wrote in message
Ten pages sounds a little odd. A signature would be 8 or 16 pages, not
10. Do you know if a full signature is missing? You have not
mentioned the condition of the sewing of the other signatures. Is it
intact? If so, how did the pages come to be missing? Assuming the the
B.L. reproduces the leaves, then you need to have a bookbinder
reassemble the whole. I am not familiar with the charges.

I am not sure how many pages are missing. There are 6 leaves 12 pages before
the first numbered page (1), Three on either side of the first stitching. I
was thinking too that there should be 8 or 16. I thought 16 since I don't
have any blanks, half title or the engraved portrait. I do have the pages:
epistre [?] (4), av lectevr [?] (3), contenvs [contents?] (4), privilege
[permission?] (1). In that order.

I think it's odd that I would be missing the same number of pages on either
side of the stitch, but I have a feeling it was rebound a long time ago. It
looks like the original boards were placed on top of the replacement ones.
The only dates I have are stamped on the spine and penciled on the ffep.

I hadn't thought about them being bound in. That's another question, bind in
or lay in loose? The front hinge does need strengthened.

Interesting Note: It has the bookplate of Granville Cunningham and notes
laid in. Cunningham was the author of 'Bacon's Secret Disclosed in
Contemporary Books'

Thanks,
Rich

Francis A. Miniter

Scrooge wrote:

I guess fix would be the wrong word, as it will never be as good as new.

have a book from 1633 that is missing it's preliminaries (i.e. title

page,
frontis, portrait). I'm not sure how many leaves, but my guess is 10. The
British Library has the only other copy of this book that I can find.

They
have a reproduction service and would charge about $30.00. Would you

spend
the money and make the effort?

Old August 5th 03, 09:08 PM
H Schinske

"Scrooge" wrote in message

I guess fix would be the wrong word, as it will never be as good as new. I
have a book from 1633 that is missing it's preliminaries (i.e. title page,
frontis, portrait). I'm not sure how many leaves, but my guess is 10. The
British Library has the only other copy of this book that I can find. They
have a reproduction service and would charge about $30.00. Would you spend
the money and make the effort?

You'd be upping the number of usable copies of a 17th-century book. I think
that is an important service. I take it the reproduction leaves will be on acid
free paper and all that?

--Helen

FA: 2-Days, WWI Battlefields of the Marne Book in DJ, c. 1917 fishnet531 General 0 July 6th 04 02:18 AM
FA: WWI Battlefields of the Marne Book in DJ, c. 1917 fishnet531 General 0 July 1st 04 12:45 AM
Book signing information Ted Kupczyk Autographs 6 November 2nd 03 02:04 PM
autographs dani.steiner General 0 July 19th 03 06:08 AM
Reducing Autograph Collection dani.steiner Autographs 0 July 16th 03 02:29 PM