Long Island Book Fair: New Location

Old October 24th 11, 01:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
J[_2_]

Default Long Island Book Fair: New Location

The LIABDA Fall Fair, Saturday and Sunday, November 5-6, 2011, will be
held at Hofstra University's Student Center. Saturday: 11 a.m. - 6
p.m. Sunday: 11 a.m. - 4 p.m.

• Presented by the Antiquarian Book Dealers Association of Long Island
(LIABDA).
• This is the only Vintage Book & Ephemera Show on Long Island! An
Affordable, Proven New York Tradition for over 30 Years!
• Exhibitors from across the United States will be presenting the
finest in Fine Rare Old Books, Maps, Prints & Ephemera alongside
formal Antiques, Orientalia, and one-of-a-kind Decorative Accessories!
• Adult Admission is $6, Young Collectors 12-21 are $3, under 12 free
with paid adult. Plenty of free parking. Home made refreshments!
• Appraisals by John Bruno, book authority Tom Congalton, and other
book experts, Sunday 1-3 p.m.
Old October 26th 11, 05:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jean B.

J wrote:
The LIABDA Fall Fair, Saturday and Sunday, November 5-6, 2011, will be
held at Hofstra University's Student Center. Saturday: 11 a.m. - 6
p.m. Sunday: 11 a.m. - 4 p.m.

• Presented by the Antiquarian Book Dealers Association of Long Island
(LIABDA).
• This is the only Vintage Book & Ephemera Show on Long Island! An
Affordable, Proven New York Tradition for over 30 Years!
• Exhibitors from across the United States will be presenting the
finest in Fine Rare Old Books, Maps, Prints & Ephemera alongside
formal Antiques, Orientalia, and one-of-a-kind Decorative Accessories!
• Adult Admission is $6, Young Collectors 12-21 are $3, under 12 free
with paid adult. Plenty of free parking. Home made refreshments!
• Appraisals by John Bruno, book authority Tom Congalton, and other
book experts, Sunday 1-3 p.m.

This must be book fair season. Boston has an antiquarian book
fair the next weekend (the 11th-13th, IIRC), and there is another
ephemera-related event on the 12th. A collector friend and I were
lucky enough to get free passes.

--
Jean B.
Old October 27th 11, 03:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
J[_2_]

On Oct 26, 12:05*pm, "Jean B." wrote:

This must be book fair season. *Boston has an antiquarian book
fair the next weekend (the 11th-13th, IIRC), and there is another
ephemera-related event on the 12th. *A collector friend and I were
lucky enough to get free passes.

The Long Island bookfair is held twice a year, normally pretty close
to the same weekends. I posted it here in case anyone might be
interested, though it will be the first time in at least ten years I
have *not* gone. The new location is not easily accessible from New
York City unless you have a car. I checked Googtle and mta.info, and
both told me it would take at least two hours, maybe 2-1/2 hours each
way by public transportation. That takes a lot of the fun out of it...
Old October 28th 11, 12:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jean B.

J wrote:
On Oct 26, 12:05 pm, "Jean B." wrote:
This must be book fair season. Boston has an antiquarian book
fair the next weekend (the 11th-13th, IIRC), and there is another
ephemera-related event on the 12th. A collector friend and I were
lucky enough to get free passes.

The Long Island bookfair is held twice a year, normally pretty close
to the same weekends. I posted it here in case anyone might be
interested, though it will be the first time in at least ten years I
have *not* gone. The new location is not easily accessible from New
York City unless you have a car. I checked Googtle and mta.info, and
both told me it would take at least two hours, maybe 2-1/2 hours each
way by public transportation. That takes a lot of the fun out of it...

Wow! It sounds like they may miss many people who attended in the
past. For your sake, I hope they reconsider the location after
the upcoming event.

--
Jean B.
Old October 28th 11, 08:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Laura Mac

Awesome! I think we may be participating long distance as we have lots of products for books and ephemera. I wish we could go, but I think our catalogs will be there. We also have video HOW TO's on book and paper repair on our website.
I hope it's a great show!
Old November 3rd 11, 03:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
J[_2_]

On Oct 27, 7:52*pm, "Jean B." wrote:

Wow! *It sounds like they may miss many people who attended in the
past. *For your sake, I hope they reconsider the location after
the upcoming event.

Actually, I don't imagine that many people ever came by public
transportation.
Old November 6th 11, 01:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
J[_2_]

Well, I went after all. I sat down and calculated the times involved,
and I thought they might not be as bad as the online sources
suggested. (Going took just over two hours; coming home was faster.) I
walked from the Hempstead train station to the university, which took
just about half an hour--I don't know what a cab would have cost, but
there's also a bus, which only runs every half hour.

The new space is nice, though not well enough lit. A lot of dealers
had extra lamps, so you could see their wares. With 38 dealers, the
room was full. I took my time walking around, and scoped things out
before I made my first purchase. As it turned out, I got six books,
more than I often buy at this fair:

OF WORLDS BEYOND, a “symposium” edited by Lloyd Eshbach, featuring
articles by E.E. Smith, L. Sprague deCamp, and A.E. vanVogt.
Originally published here in 1947, this British edition was the first
in Dobson’s “Studies in Science Fiction” series. $8.

LEWIS CARROLL & HIS ILLUSTRATORS, edited by Morton Cohen and Edward
Wakeling, contains all the letters Carroll wrote to the men who did
the artwork for his books (the best known being John Tenniel). $25

IT HAPPENED IN BOSTON?, a supernatural thriller by Russell H. Greenan.
As it was marked down from $25 to $15, I took the opportunity to
replace my book club copy with this first printing.

KEYSTONE, Peter Lovesey’s historical mystery about the Mack Sennett
film studio. British first, marked down from $30 to $15.

THE HEADS OF CERBERUS, famous fantasy story by Francis Stevens,
introduction by Lloyd Eshbach (see above). This copy is volume one of
the Polaris Fantasy Library (1952); limited edition of 1500 copies.
(Apparently there were only two in this series!) A few tiny chips to
the dust jacket spine, otherwise still fine in a slightly worn
slipcase. $10!!!

ENGLAND BEAUTIFUL, one of Wallace Nutting’s pictorial travelogues.
This is the Garden City Publishing reprint (1936) of the 1928
original. Even though it’s the “cheap” edition, the photos are still
quite nice, and this Anglophile was happy to fork over $35 for this
terrific copy, complete with a really nice dust jacket. (It was a
Christmas present in ‘36, according to a pencil inscription...)