My First Moleskine is Due to Arrive on Tuesday!

Old February 26th 09, 10:16 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

Default My First Moleskine is Due to Arrive on Tuesday!

Wanting to see for myself how much of the Moleskine raves are due to hype,
but wary of reports of bleed-through and similar problems with fountain
pens, I finally read a report that indicated that nib size larger than .6mm
is the culprit. Since I prefer Japanese fines, I eagerly looked for a
Moleskine that would suit me and ordered the City book for San Francisco to
record my notes on my stay there during my last road trip and anything from
prior visits that I remember or have in notes somewhere.

A few months ago, I got a set of Pilot Petit1 pens to use for traveling
thinking that if anything happened to them, I wouldn't be out too much
money. Their cartridges are smaller than the standard Pilot carts, but I can
still easily refill them with ink from my Nalgene drop dispensing bottles
that I use for traveling.

I'm planning on using the black waterproof Noodler's ink for this DIY
guidebook and travel journal, but if I encounter any sort of problem, I can
always switch to the Fisher Space pen that I keep in my car.

It's exciting to anticipate something new to try with my fps and the bonus
is that it's in the name of "organizing"!

--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.

Old February 26th 09, 06:15 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Visitor

Hope it works out for you...
Not my blog but informative..

http://rashmisinha.com/2007/08/06/ho...city-notebook/

John

Old February 27th 09, 04:49 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"The Visitor" wrote in message
Hope it works out for you...
Not my blog but informative..

http://rashmisinha.com/2007/08/06/ho...city-notebook/

Before ordering my copy of the San Francisco City Notebook, I read
everything I could about the line and, yes, that blog certainly is
informative about how unfair she can be.

1. I'm curious as to what was going on in her mind when she bought hers
because her expectation was way off. The City Notebook isn't intended to be
a "regular Moleskine with maps" as she wrote.

2. Grid paper is the last thing I want. Since most lined papers are too
narrow for me, I prefer blank and use a lined guide beneath. It remains to
be seen if I'll be able to do this with the City Notebook, but since it's a
DIY travel guide more than it is a journal, I'm not concerned. My travelogue
is done on my laptop so I can email it to friends. It's the details of
people's names and email addies, site locations, etc., that I want to
preserve by listing in the book.

3. The maps are the main draw for me. It'll be a lot easier for me to have
them in a small, single collection that I don't have to spread out and let
flap in the breeze while I verify how to get to my next destination. The
City Notebooks also have maps of the local public transportation system
which are great since I often found myself between Muni stops not knowing
which would be best until I walked to one and checked the posted map only to
find that another stop would have saved me from having to transfer.

4. She thinks only 8 - 10 pages would be enough for the maps. For a city
the size of San Francisco, considering the size of the book and the scale of
the maps, there's no way that would be enough.

5. She states that the reason she bought the book was because she left her
journal on an airplane and "There are only 76 blank pages - which are the
real reason I bought the Moleskins." Right there, she shows that her
intended use is counter to the book's design.

6. Just because there are 32 removable pages doesn't mean you have to remove
them. Duh. So, add them to the aforementioned 76 blank pages and have 108
blank pages.

7. The translucent pages are for those who don't want to mark their routes
permanently. Why is she intimating that giving users an option is bad? Since
I plan to mark my routes permanently and don't mind the inclusion of those
pages, her comment leads me to view her as a petty, narrow-minded, control
freak.

8. About the labels - this is where she proves that she's stuck in a
single-minded rut, ignoring the stated primary purpose of the City Notebooks
as being DIY travel guides. Why should anyone go plowing through pages of
particular restaurant? If they bothered her that much, all she had to do was
cut off the tabs and add those 96 presumably otherwise blank pages to the
108 blank pages we accumulated above to have a total of 204 pages she could
have used for her journaling. Since she said there are a total of 228 pages
in the book, that means there are either less than 36 pages used for maps as
she complained about or she can't count or there's another reason for the
page counts being off.

I'm glad it isn't your blog I'm dissing. She obviously was expecting the
City Notebook to be a replacement for her journal which it could never be
since it's a niche product and not a more general one like a journal. That
she's suffering from buyer's remorse, ranting about a product designed for a
different purpose than what she wanted is unduly illogical and totally
unfair.

I'm confident that my intended use is more in line with the designed purpose
than was hers. We'll see how well my expectations are met after mine
arrives.

Only four more days!

Old February 27th 09, 04:23 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Visitor

Bluesea wrote:

I'm confident that my intended use is more in line with the designed purpose
than was hers.

Perfect!

John

Old March 4th 09, 02:58 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Bluesea" wrote in message

It's exciting to anticipate something new to try with my fps and the bonus
is that it's in the name of "organizing"!

I'm disappointed that it didn't arrive today. Tracking shows that it was in
Dallas on Friday. Since it doesn't take me three days to drive round-trip to
Dallas, maybe it'll be here tomorrow.

Old March 4th 09, 03:13 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Visitor

The more you want something.
The longer it takes.
I just hope your around when it shows up.
I hate those tags on the door.

Old March 4th 09, 03:45 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"The Visitor" wrote in message
The more you want something.
The longer it takes.
I just hope your around when it shows up.
I hate those tags on the door.

Heh, I used a business address. The lady who receives incoming mail will
call me when it arrives. She's very good about that .