Shardik

Old June 12th 11, 04:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

Default Shardik

Today, I found a signed first printing of the American
edition of Richard Adams' Shardik, the author's second
novel, in fine condition. I already had a first printing
and I cannot say what prompted me to pull it out and look at
the title page, where it was signed.

--
Francis A. Miniter

Mesure is Medicine þauh þou muche ȝeor[n]e.
Al nis not good to þe gost þat þe bodi lykeþ,
Ne lyflode to þe licam þat leof is to þe soule.

William Langland, The Vision of Piers Plowman
Passus I, lines 33 - 35

Old June 12th 11, 10:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

On 6/12/2011 8:28 AM, J wrote:
On Jun 11, 11:45�pm, "Francis A.
wrote:
Today, I found a signed first printing of the American
edition of Richard Adams' Shardik, the author's second
novel, in fine condition. �I already had a first printing
and I cannot say what prompted me to pull it out and look at
the title page, where it was signed.

Wow! Price?

$3

Old June 13th 11, 01:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
J[_2_]

On Jun 12, 5:03*pm, "Francis A. Miniter"
wrote:
On 6/12/2011 8:28 AM, J wrote:

Today, I found a signed first printing of the American
edition of Richard Adams' Shardik, the author's second
novel, in fine condition. I already had a first printing
and I cannot say what prompted me to pull it out and look at
the title page, where it was signed.

Wow! Price?

$3

OMG! You can be so lucky!
Old June 13th 11, 04:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jean B.

Francis A. Miniter wrote:
On 6/12/2011 8:28 AM, J wrote:
On Jun 11, 11:45�pm, "Francis A.
wrote:
Today, I found a signed first printing of the American
edition of Richard Adams' Shardik, the author's second
novel, in fine condition. �I already had a first printing
and I cannot say what prompted me to pull it out and look at
the title page, where it was signed.

Wow! Price?

$3

Great!

How much time do you devote to hunting for books?

--
Jean B., who spends quite a bit of time hunting for them
Old June 14th 11, 12:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

On 6/12/2011 23:30 PM, Jean B. wrote:
Francis A. Miniter wrote:
On 6/12/2011 8:28 AM, J wrote:
On Jun 11, 11:45�pm, "Francis A.

wrote:
Today, I found a signed first printing of the American
edition of Richard Adams' Shardik, the author's second
novel, in fine condition. �I already had a first printing
and I cannot say what prompted me to pull it out and
look at
the title page, where it was signed.

Wow! Price?

$3

Great!

How much time do you devote to hunting for books?

I try to stop at some used goods store (Savers, Goodwill)
each day - there are about 8 of them in the area. And on
Saturday mornings, I usually try to make it to a library
book sale. Some weekends there are multiple such sales and
I try to hit one on a Friday evening as well. Then there
are tag sales. I scan the ads in Craigslist looking for
ones with likely books. On average, at least an hour a day
then.

Old June 16th 11, 03:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jean B.

Francis A. Miniter wrote:
On 6/12/2011 23:30 PM, Jean B. wrote:
Francis A. Miniter wrote:
On 6/12/2011 8:28 AM, J wrote:
On Jun 11, 11:45�pm, "Francis A.

wrote:
Today, I found a signed first printing of the American
edition of Richard Adams' Shardik, the author's second
novel, in fine condition. �I already had a first printing
and I cannot say what prompted me to pull it out and
look at
the title page, where it was signed.

Wow! Price?

$3

Great!

How much time do you devote to hunting for books?

I try to stop at some used goods store (Savers, Goodwill) each day -
there are about 8 of them in the area. And on Saturday mornings, I
usually try to make it to a library book sale. Some weekends there are
multiple such sales and I try to hit one on a Friday evening as well.
Then there are tag sales. I scan the ads in Craigslist looking for ones
with likely books. On average, at least an hour a day then.

Ah, you are out every day. I actually miss some days. I do about
the same, but also go to antiques shops, consignment shops, etc.
(Of course, the best thing at the former is a lazy person who just
says $X per hardcover.) There's nothing like finding good books!

--
Jean B.