Free-flowing india ink?

Old February 13th 09, 05:42 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Brian Ketterling

Default Free-flowing india ink?

Does anyone know of a traditional (carbon, waterproof) india ink that will
work well in finer technical pen points? I have #00 (0.3) points in
Staedtler Marsmatic 700, Koh-I-Noor Rapidograph, and Faber-Castell TG pens,
and Higgins, Koh-I-Noor, and Rotring inks, and no combination works
properly. I can rattle any of the pens until I get a drop on the tip, but
can't draw a continuous line.

I should add that I clean my pens thoroughly, and the ink hasn't gone bad.
I used to use tech pens a lot (not often recently), 0.3 was a size I used
frequently, and I didn't have this problem. Has ink changed in recent
years, in a way that would /reduce/ flow? I'd think that if anything,
manufacturers would make it thinner to avoid complaints about clogging.

-- Brian

Old February 14th 09, 07:53 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
[email protected]

Hi Brian,

The topic of thinning inks in general and for technical pens in
particular is discussed fairly regularly over at www.fountainpennetwork.com
You'll want to peruse the Writing Instruments and Inky Thoughts sub-
forums. Don't be put off by the name, there is a good sized
contingent of tech pen users that post there and the idea of a
technical/artist pen sub-forum is bandied around by the Admins
periodically. If you register as a member, you'll gain a host of
additional resources including the ability to use the "Search"
function.

Hope to see you there!

Old February 14th 09, 09:02 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Aaron W. Hsu[_3_]

writes:

[...] over at
www.fountainpennetwork.com [...] If you register as a
member, you'll gain a host of additional resources including the
ability to use the "Search" function.

You're just making FPN sound desperate. Why not show us that the
information is out there by writing your own analysis and doing the
searching for us? Then, provide the answers here, on Usenet, where we
like to look and read. Maybe then it will look like you actually care
about helping, rather than looking like you're just a spam bot with some
nice linguistic capabilities.

--
Aaron W. Hsu | http://www.sacrideo.us
"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to
Old February 15th 09, 12:19 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Brian Ketterling

In ,
wrote:

The topic of thinning inks in general and for technical pens in
particular is discussed fairly regularly over at
www.fountainpennetwork.com...

I don't know that the thinness of the ink is necessarily the issue. The
Higgins and Rotring inks are already pretty thin, so it may be some other
factor. I also tried adding a little bit of detergent to the ink, which
didn't help. Maybe it's the carbon particle size, or clumping of those
particles? -- I really don't know.

In any case, I have a feeling that what I need is an ink that's made, in the
first place, to flow through fine points. I did receive one suggestion to
try Dr. Ph. Martin's "Black Star". Does anyone have any experience with
that ink? I'd hate to order a bottle and have another dud on my desk!

Regarding FPN, etc., they're fine, but by definition the focus is on
fountain pens and questions about other writing instruments can get lost in
the flood of posts. I thought I'd try this, more general, forum.

Brian

Old February 18th 09, 02:26 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jimmy

"Brian Ketterling"
wrote in message m...
In
,
wrote:

[...]

fountain pens and questions about other writi instruments can get lost
in
the flood of posts. I thought I'd try this, more general, forum.

Hi Brian,

I don't have any definite fixes. Have you tried Fount India
(Pelikan?). It's supposed to be like real Indian Ink, but workable in
fountain pens. I am planning to try it in a cheap FP.

--
Alan

Old February 18th 09, 11:20 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Brian Ketterling

In ,
Jimmy wrote:

Have you tried Fount India (Pelikan?).

I haven't, because I was looking for waterproof ink. Also...

It's supposed to be like real Indian Ink, but workable in
fountain pens. I am planning to try it in a cheap FP.

If you can, start with a nib a size or two finer than the line width you
want. The old Fount India, in glass bottles, was just a basic,
non-waterproof india ink. Recent-production Fount India seems to have been
reformulated with a lot of detergent. I have a new (plastic, dropper-top)
bottle, and it's very wet, and spreads (YMMV).

Brian

Old February 18th 09, 11:31 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jimmy

"Brian Ketterling"
wrote in message m...
In ,
Jimmy wrote:

Have you tried Fount India (Pelikan?).

snip
If you can, start with a nib a size or two finer than the line width
you
want. The old Fount India, in glass bottles, was just a basic,
non-waterproof india ink. Recent-production Fount India seems to have
been
reformulated with a lot of detergent. I have a new (plastic,
dropper-top)
bottle, and it's very wet, and spreads (YMMV).

I saw it a few months ago in an art supply shop, in the modern plastic
bottle, but didn't buy any. I've got a nice cheap Pilot 78 fine ready to
experiment with, as soon as I pick some up.

If it flows and writes wet, it might be the stuff to revive my stubborn
Japanese desk pen.

--
Alan