How do I exchange foreign currency?

Old August 26th 04, 07:24 PM
IWCFVB

Default How do I exchange foreign currency?

Here's my problem. I have a little Canadian, a few Euros, some Mexican pesos,
and some British pounds. My bank, which I have gone to for 20+ years, wants a
$15 fee to exchange the money. The whole total will only net me about $100
though, so that's 15%! That's absurd. I exchanged money virtually free in
Europe! So, my questions a

1. How can I exchange my money without an exorbitant fee?

2. Where do I find a place that will accept coins, too. I have a substantial
number of Euro coins--and I mean whole Euros, not Euro cents. This amounts to
a lot of money. I want to exchange it but, again, my bank refuses; they told
me they deal in paper currency only with foreign exchange. How can I do this?

If anyone can help me, please do so! I will check the board but e-mail

-Jeff
Old August 26th 04, 07:31 PM
Bob Flaminio

IWCFVB wrote:
1. How can I exchange my money without an exorbitant fee?

Call around to various moneychangers and banks and ask what their fee
is. Go to the cheapest one. If you're in the San Francisco Bay Area, I
could probably recommend a place.

2. Where do I find a place that will accept coins, too.

Nowhere. Assuming you're in the US, I don't know of anywhere that
exchanges coins. I keep all my foreign coins in a jar, and fish them out
the next time I travel abroad. When departing a country, I also try to
spend down my coins as much as possible -- snacks for the flight is my
usual target.

--
Bob

Old August 26th 04, 07:46 PM
Scottishmoney

You may find someone on here that will buy them, I would be interested in
the British Pounds and the Canadian Dollars, but none of the rest. I use
them for eBay purchases.

Dave
--
emails to (myuserid).at.lycos.com

Tir nam Beann, nan Gleann, s'nan Gaisgeach - Saor Alba A-Nis!
"IWCFVB" wrote in message
[...]

---

Old August 26th 04, 09:36 PM
Dr. Richard L. Hall

Try a local airport if it's an international one. They usually have a
moneychanger there. The fees are often cheaper than at most banks. A
friend was able to convert about 5000 French francs much more cheaply there
than at a bank.

Old August 27th 04, 12:47 AM
B.J. Herbison

For the coins, either sell them to a coin collector, or sell them to the
next person you know who is traveling to Europe.

B.J.

IWCFVB wrote:
Here's my problem. I have a little Canadian, a few Euros, some Mexican pesos,
and some British pounds. My bank, which I have gone to for 20+ years, wants a
$15 fee to exchange the money. The whole total will only net me about $100
though, so that's 15%! That's absurd. I exchanged money virtually free in
Europe! So, my questions a

1. How can I exchange my money without an exorbitant fee?

2. Where do I find a place that will accept coins, too. I have a substantial
number of Euro coins--and I mean whole Euros, not Euro cents. This amounts to
a lot of money. I want to exchange it but, again, my bank refuses; they told
me they deal in paper currency only with foreign exchange. How can I do this?

If anyone can help me, please do so! I will check the board but e-mail

-Jeff

--
B.J. Herbison / / http://www.herbison.com/herbison/bj.html
The Next Asylum / 203 Long Hill Road / Bolton, MA 01740-1421 / +1 978

Old August 27th 04, 02:13 AM
A.E. Gelat

Good recommendation, but instead of "spending down" what remains, it can be
exchanged into US $ at the airport bank. They will take anything, including
cents, and the agio is only 2%.

Tony

Old August 27th 04, 03:10 AM
Bob Flaminio

A.E. Gelat wrote:
Good recommendation, but instead of "spending down" what remains, it
can be exchanged into US $ at the airport bank. They will take
anything, including cents, and the agio is only 2%.

But then I don't get my snacks!

--
Bob

Old August 27th 04, 03:20 AM
Scottishmoney

Except for large value coins, I tend to just keep whatever small change I
get. I came back home from Ukraine a few years ago with a ziploc bag full
of Ukrainian change that is not worth much until you look at the inflated
prices in the Krause catalog. I guess not many people go to Ukraine or
bring money back. I kept quite a few Polish coins from that trip too, but
only 3-4 Dutch coins.

Dave
"One month, three countries, and hundreds of coins"

Old August 27th 04, 07:38 PM
Coin Saver

From: iwcfvb

Here's my problem. I have a little Canadian, a few Euros, some Mexican pesos,

and some British pounds. My bank, which I have gone to for 20+ years, wants a
$15 fee to exchange the money. The whole total will only net me about $100
though, so that's 15%! That's absurd. I exchanged money virtually free in
Europe! So, my questions a
1. How can I exchange my money without an exorbitant fee?
2. Where do I find a place that will accept coins, too. I have a substantial
number of Euro coins--and I mean whole Euros, not Euro cents.
This amounts to a lot of money. I want to exchange it but, again, my bank
refuses; they told me they deal in paper currency only with foreign exchange.
How can I do this?

Short answer:

eBay.
8-|
- Coin Saver

Pr: Baltimore Coin and Currency Convention - July 9-11, 2004 EdKuszmar General 0 June 29th 04 05:16 AM
Pr: Baltimore Coin and Currency Convention EdKuszmar Coins 0 June 29th 04 05:06 AM
The $20 swill .... Nick Charles Coins 10 October 15th 03 08:38 PM
The $20 swill .... Nick Charles General 0 October 14th 03 07:59 PM
Yuan and Dollar Exchange Rate Alan & Erin Williams Coins 0 July 3rd 03 01:56 PM